Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 13, 2008, 12:59 AM   #21

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Hi John-

Thanks for coming to my rescue. The Canon S-5 arrived today, and I am charging batteries right now as I write this post. In as much as Hercules just got a Canon EOS 450D, I am going to expand the tutorial to include the Canon G-7 & G-9, the S-5 and the XT which should work very similiar to the 450D.

This is a really busy day, so I will probably get started in earnest tomorrow (13 August). And yes, please take a good look at John's Gallery. He went through the first cycle of this Flash Tutorial that I did in the Spring 0f 2007.

Sarah Joyce
Cant wait for this Sarah your always a big help also i was thinking of selling my IXUS 850 IS and buying another camera, one that takes excellent pictures because going on vacation and lugging dslr 17-85, 70-300, 10-22, and 50 1.8 gets frustrating, but i will admit in daytime shots you wouldn't probably be able to tell a difference with my IXUS or dslr, why i know because I've compared them, only in low light my dslr was miles ahead, now i was thinking of the Fuji S100fd any other good options?
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2008, 1:28 AM   #22
sun

Wow...this is why I think this maybe way beyond me. I am just learning to crawl with the S5 and there are members...probably at the stage I was when I took black and whites with my 3 Nikons with various lens and also various filters.

All of this blows the better half and I away and think maybe we would be a nuisance here !

But I certainly do believe that it would be nice to have a discussion from very experienced users of the S5 before the S6 takes centre stage.

Went out shopping today and checked a regular camera shop that I buy accessories from but not my main source and they still carry the S5, and Sears Canada does as well at $400... so I indeed got a bargain.

It is simply that I don't want a lot of members to go to a lot of trouble and here I am bumbling along in "automatic"!!! LOL

I find this forum to be full of eagerness which is what I like but I don't know if I can keep up with all of the users experiences which seem to simply be inborne nature???

Again this is just an observation and I look very much to have digalogue.

As an example, I don't even know how to upload some of my poor shots for critique.

Hope all is well and that we continue to share the common thread of the S5 which seems decent.

BTW, if members feel that I should wait until the S6 your comments would be appreciated as I am really new into digicam and don't know if there is a dramatic change of changes that will warrant the extra cost and make my pics extra outstanding.

Any comments on all of this.

Thankyou for your ongoing interest and being a regular "photo bug"!!!

Ciao from the GReat White North!!
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2008, 9:37 AM   #23

Good Morning, Sun-

A couple of pointers: P=Programed Auto. So the advantage of the P Mode is that, while it is just like Auto Mode, you can made some nice changes. Place your S-5 in P for Programed Auto and push the Function (Func.) button. The LCD screen will display all of the possible changes. And you will see that there are many usful possibilities to take advantage of rather than just remaining in the Auto Mode.

Just switch you S-5 from Auto to P and without many and changes, you will see that the camera operates exactly the same way. Then when you gain further confidence try making changes one at a time.

Concerning posting photos: Download a program that will allow you to re-size your images. I recommend FastStone Image Viewer. It is a free down load from the internet. Then using FastStone re-size the photo that you want to a max total of 240,000 pixels. The Forum is programed to reject anything larger than a total of 240,000 pixels. At the bottom of the message form you see a small separate box with the word "Browse" next to it. Hit the "Browse" button and select the location of your re-size photo. Once you have found your photo, select the photo. It will pop up in the box. All you have to then is press the send button and your post and re-sized photo will be sent together.

Have a great day!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2008, 12:26 PM   #24
sun

Thx mtclimber, I will start with this great advice. Right now I have family here and my times at the computer are limited somewhat.

It is brilliant weather that we are all enjoying, as I am certain you are too. I will likely have a go at some outdoor subjects as that is where the time is being spent right now as by creatures of habit .... the outdoors is where we have been... the whole family from childhood and that includes the better half and my childhood as well. We are very much in our comfort zone there.

So I will be taking pics outside for now....not too appropriate for a flash. Once things settle down here I will post and let you know. That looks like it will be the end of the month...likely not sooner.

Thank you so much for starting this off as it helps immensely to talk to another user.

Cheers!
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2008, 5:21 PM   #25

You are welcome, Sun-

I am going to get everything done before we leave to go to work in Stockholm on 22 August.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 13, 2008, 6:02 PM   #26

S-5 Users-

I have the first installment of the Canon EX-430 Flash Tutorial already posted. I will have the Second Installment posted for early tomorrow (14 August) morning. I hope all S-5 users will enjoy it. There are lots of photo taken with the Canon S-5 camera and exact instructions on how to set-up you Canon S-5 camera to take photos just like the tutorial's sample photos.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 13, 2008, 6:22 PM   #27

Thanks Sarah!

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
S-5 Users-

I have the first installment of the Canon EX-430 Flash Tutorial already posted. I will have the Second Installment posted for early tomorrow (14 August) morning. I hope all S-5 users will enjoy it. There are lots of photo taken with the Canon S-5 camera and exact instructions on how to set-up you Canon S-5 camera to take photos just like the tutorial's sample photos.

Sarah Joyce
bayoubooger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2008, 8:20 PM   #28

S-5 Folks-

I have the EX-430 Flash Tutorial up to Installment # 5 now. Take a look.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 15, 2008, 7:22 PM   #29

Folks,
I have had the better part of a week to work with the Canon XT and the Canon S-5 cameras while doing the Canon EX-430 Flash Tutorial. I use lots of cameras all the time. But I have to say loud and clear that the copy of the Canon S-5 that I am using, which was by the way produced in China, is absolutely top notch.

All too often we hear some posters, down playing the ultra-zoom field. That is unfortunate. Because given, good lighting conditions, the Canon S-5 is hard to beat. The main issue that preserves IQ is keeping the camera below ISO 200.

I tip my hat to the Canon S-5, and it is well deserved!

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 16, 2008, 10:52 PM   #30

OK, Canon S-5 fans-

Here is a quiz for you. I will put into this post two sample photos. One is labeled "Sample A." The other is labeled, "Sample B." One of those samples was taken with the Canon S-5 camera and a Canon EX-430 Flash (value $(US)600.00). The other sample was taken with the Sony A-100 DSLR camera, the Sony 56AM flash, and a Sony 18-250mm lens (value $(US) 1400.00) You tell me which is which?. Good Luck!

You might be surprised!

Sarah Joyce

Here is Sample A:

Here is Sample B: