Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 12, 2008, 6:34 AM   #1
Administrator

See Steve's hands on review here:

Canon PowerShot A590 IS

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2008, 4:13 PM   #2

I have the A590 and just like most other Powershot A series, the optical zoom does NOT work during video recording, what it has is a 4x digital zoom. Also the 590 has reduced fps rate at 640x480 resolution, the 570 had 30fps, 590 only has 20fps.
whyzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2008, 6:12 PM   #3
Administrator

whyzor wrote:
Quote:
I have the A590 and just like most other Powershot A series, the optical zoom does NOT work during video recording, what it has is a 4x digital zoom. Also the 590 has reduced fps rate at 640x480 resolution, the 570 had 30fps, 590 only has 20fps.
After seeing your response, we double checked the camera settings and determined that optical zoom does not work while recording videos (but, digital zoom will if turned on).

Thanks for pointing out that this model is limited to digital zoom when recording movies. We've updated the review conclusion to reflect this limitation:

Quote:
There are several different movie modes that you can choose from for your video recording including 640x480 at 20fps (and LP), 320x240 and Compact (160x120) for email/web sharing. The video quality is good and they run very smoothly. The optical zoom is not functional during recording, however you can preset the desired focal length before starting or use the digital zoom when in a bind. The OIS is also very helpful for capturing steady videos without a tripod.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2008_...590is_pg5.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2008, 7:20 PM   #4

Thanks for the very informational review of this camera. I had looked at the Nikon P5100 very seriously, but after reading both reviews, i went with the A590IS. Performance for this price point is amazing. there are so many makes and models in this field that without an objective test and data a fellow could make a lot of misteps in getting the best value in a digital camera- thanks again.
grayghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2008, 2:34 AM   #5

I too have the A590 and hold it in high regard. In daylight @ low ISO numbers the images compare quite well to images from my D200. Even though the video is done @ 20 fps it looks fine during playback. Overall a great little camera for less than $150.00 canadian( $145 US )
jimmbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2008, 2:01 PM   #6

the accessories for the Canon PowerShot A590 IS have a battery charger?

I'm thinking of purchasing this one and would like rechargable batteries and charger.

If you know of another model within this price range (Canon or not) that has these features and quality of images that might be a better camera please let me know.

Thanks!
vets2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2008, 11:02 AM   #7

This camera takes awesome pictures! My older camera was a Nikon, which also took nice pictures, but this Cannon does a great job and it's easy to use. I highly recommend this camera!

deadastronaut001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2008, 8:59 PM   #8

hello all, its been awhile since posting. I live in the electronics apocalypse of the world, and rarely am satisfied. (The sdr-s10 panasonic I purchased in another thread has turned out to be very good)

anyway, one question that hardly gets answered in ANY review ANYWHERE...and it is so obvious I am frothing in anger at the lack of facts bluntly stating: Glass or plastic lense? I do not even care of the brand of lense..jsut tell me if it is glass or Not glass. :evil:

the last sub 200 dollar cameras I had were horrifying, one being a fuji, the other a battery hog M415 by hewlett packard. Both literally self destroyed. the pentax m415 was amazing while it lasted, This canon seems up my alley..but Ineed glass. the extra lense addons have me sold already.
Do not assume I thrash my stuff around, I even build my own pc anally retentive to the point of having to do it by myself...
bgd73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2008, 11:57 AM   #9

Hello, bgd73.......I don't think I've read a camera review where it's stated what material the camera lens is made of. I've always assumed them to be optical-grade glass. I can easily see (no pun intended!) that the viewfinder would most likely be plastic as its optical qualities are not so critical as the camera lens but when you consider that the lenses of the vast majority of eyeglasses are plastic -- some of them hardened -- there can't be much wrong with that material.

It'll be interesting to read the views of other forum members on this subject. For my part, I don't care what the lens is made from as long as I get the results I want and I'm really pleased to see this camera retains the optical viewfinder my A610 has.

Regards, Almar..
Almar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2008, 12:09 PM   #10

I do not even care of the brand of lense..jsut tell me if it is glass or Not glass. :evil:

Glass. I have an A560, a cheap camera by most standards, but great IQ.

Shot below taken in the macro mode(manual)

This one is my dog at the river

I have used this camera for a year, and am happy with it, but wish it had the "A" and "Tv" modes like the A590IS. All in all a great camera for the price.

Hope this helps at all. Robert

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote