Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 15, 2008, 10:25 AM   #1

Is is just me or what's up with the latest Canons and red-eye?

Just bought an SD 870IS for myself and a collegue replaced her aging Fuji with an SD750. There is so much more red eye in the pictures!

My collegue uses the camera for taking photos of herdancing class in a club. The problem is that everyone comes out looking like bats even when they are not looking directly at the camera.

I honestly don't understand how a modern camera can be released with that kind of a problem and I keep thinking it is something I am doing wrong.

The LED redeye reduction also sucks - the moment is usually gone by the time the camera decides it is time to respond.
impreza276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2008, 10:27 AM   #2

Oops.. Just noticed I posted in the wrong forum. Sorry!
Old Mar 15, 2008, 11:02 AM   #3
Administrator

We moved it for you.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2008, 12:00 PM   #4

impreza276 wrote:
Quote:
Is is just me or what's up with the latest Canons and red-eye?

Just bought an SD 870IS for myself and a collegue replaced her aging Fuji with an SD750. There is so much more red eye in the pictures!

My collegue uses the camera for taking photos of herdancing class in a club. The problem is that everyone comes out looking like bats even when they are not looking directly at the camera.

I honestly don't understand how a modern camera can be released with that kind of a problem and I keep thinking it is something I am doing wrong.

The LED redeye reduction also sucks - the moment is usually gone by the time the camera decides it is time to respond.
I'm not quite sure why you think this is unusual. It happens in every compact with the built-in flash. It has happened going back to 35mm point & shoot days when camera stores sold redeye pins you could use to color in the effect.

The flash tube is too close to the lens, and that is what happens. Digital Elphs are tiny cameras, making matters even worse because everything is so close together. That's why DSLR shooters buy separate flash units and why some of those people even resort to using flash brackets. You can go buy any compact on the market today and you'll never "fix" this problem. If you chose to shoot with this type camera, this is one of the trade-offs you deal with. Many now sport a redeye removal where you can try and get rid of it in-camera in the review period, but in those extreme cases where it isn't red, but an ugly white I see a lot with pets, I don't think that system stands a chance of helping.

Redeye reduction is one of the worst marketing ploys camera manufacturers ever introduced. Ever wonder why they never call it redeye elimination instead of reduction? It's pretty simple....it doesn't work.

If you want to get rid of the redeye issue,the answer is straight forward.....buy a camera that has a hot shoe and get a flash unit. That does not have to be a DSLR. The Canon G9 or S5is would do just fine. Otherwise, you are stuck.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2008, 12:08 AM   #5

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
I'm not quite sure why you think this is unusual.

Here's the thing: As I mentioned before, my friend replaced her old fuji snapshot camera with the SD and the FUji was not nearly half as bad. Same goes for me - my older camera is a Canon S60. And it not only is a serious problem with close shots but even with subjects more than 20 feet away and not looking directly at the camera.

I understand that there will always be redeye with compacts but the SDs are terrible in relation to other snapshot cameras in this respect! Thinking about it more I suspectthe problemhas more to do with not using the preflash red eye reduction method.