Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 21, 2008, 6:44 AM   #1

My wife's PowerShot SD100 digital ELPH, about 3 years old, has broken down. After turning on, the image in the screen looks distorted and out of focus. Pictures come out the same (blurry and distorted). Menu screen is OK and pictures taken before, also look OK, so it is not the screen, so I think it is the CCD image sensor. Bottom line, is it worth to get it fixed?
ecelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2008, 7:01 AM   #2
Administrator

Yes, that sounds like the CCD.

You're in luck. See this service notice (Canon has been fixing them out of warranty at no charge).

Canon Service Advisory for CCD issues with SD100

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2008, 8:15 AM   #3

WOW! Thanks for the info. I was ready to toss it to the trash. It is quite impressive that Canon is doing this for their customers. I have already emailed them with my request to get it repaired and got back their automated response. I was trying to decide on what SLR camera to get for myself, between a Nikon and a Canon and this has made my decision easier.

Many thanks for this info. These forums are the best!!
ecelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2008, 8:19 AM   #4
Administrator

Most other camera manufacturers using these Sony CCDs have been doing the same thing (repairing them at no charge).

A number of Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony, Konica Minolta (and more brands) cameras were impacted by the issue.

It's my understanding that Sony has been eating the cost of repair (the cameras impacted are all using Sony CCD sensors, and the ones impacted had a design flaw that sometimes shows up over time. Dave Etchells ran a big story on it over at Imaging-Resource a while back, showing how widespread the issue was with them:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/badccds.html

Old Mar 21, 2008, 8:27 AM   #5
Administrator

P.S.

If you look at the "Sticky" (Announcement Posts) at the top of each forum's threads list, you'll see some posts about those types of issues.

For example, you'll find these threads about the CCD issue at the top of the Canon Forum here:

Canon Service Advisory on CCD issues

Canon Service Advisory Expanded October 31, 2006