Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 19, 2003, 11:22 PM   #1

Default g5 and good full size tripod---

first off, i've been so busy playing with my g5, i haven't had a chance to thank the few who answered my last question, so sorry and thanks! first digital and let me say this has opened the once closed door of photography for me.

anyway, my question. curious on tips and/or advice on getting a tripod for my g5. taking lots of macros and night shots and need one since handheld is out of the question. like the 3-way head, better than the ball types, and quick release plate is a must, but not sure on geared centers and brand quality. any feedback would be appreciated. love to hear your opinions. thanks in advance.

j.h.
j.h. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2003, 2:56 AM   #2

Personall, for brands I would stick with Bogen/Manfrotto or Gitzo. There are other good ones, I'm sure. But I keep hearing those names over and over. Personally, I spent the bucks and got a Bogen Carbon One (3445)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=201170&is=REG

But I knew I'd be hiking with it and so I wanted something light (which usually means Carbon Fiber), but still capable of taking some weight. I also knew that I'd keep it for years... many, many years. The extra expense spread out over many years made it worth it for me.

If you think you'll want to do photos at unusual angles and positions, you could consider the gitzo 2227:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=206494&is=REG

Also carbon fiber, but a really wacky center column design which allows for amazing flexability. Of course, if you don't think you'll use it, don't waste your money on it. It costs more because it's different and more versital. Oh, and people say that the gitzo uses a friction design to lock the legs into place. And that with enough pressure you can force the legs to slide out wider. They are right. I proved it in the store. But how often do you put that much weight on it? And it didn't move much. And if you get ground spikes (it might come with them) then its even harder to do it. But its something I felt I should mention. The bogen doesn' have this problem, but only has 3 leg angles which lock. Such is the trade off.

Bogen has its own quick release system. I borrowed a ball head that used it. I generally like it, and the QR system worked well. I wouldn't be surprised if Gitzo also had a QR system.

I prefer ball heads over 3-way heads. Again, I find them to be more flexable and faster aiming. But you can get off-level, so you might want to get a leveling base as well.

Can't comment on geared center coumns. Never tried one. Didn't get it on mine. In the end, the higher the raise the center coumn, the worse off you are. You turn a 3-legged support system into a 1 legged pole to hold the camera. Not nearly as stable. Buy a tripod which fits your hight without the column.

In the end, you should go to a store that has several different brands and check them out. Look at the heads and QR plates. Try them out. Try to extend the tripod lens quickly. Put your camera on it and see how you like aiming with it. Looking at pictures is one thing, trying it out is something completely different.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2003, 9:41 AM   #3

J.H., were you looking to spend over $450?
Joshua B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2003, 11:31 AM   #4

Yes, those are expensive tripods. I just list those because they were what I had information on. They also make non-carbon fiber models which are much cheaper. They will be heavier, but not a lot.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2003, 12:42 PM   #5

thanks for the replies. i'll answer both at the same time if that's okay. not to worried about the money side although, i don't want to drop a grand, if you know what i mean. i need one that is fairly easy to adjust the height, as i'm going to take macros galore and need to be able to position it just right. on the other hand i plan on taking it outdoors to take landscape and night shots. i know this is the old impossible question to answer, but looking for a well rounded, versatile tripod for those conditions. i should say i'm no pro, not even close so i don't know if i would need a pro tripod? anyway curious which features have you guys found as a must have and which are a waste. go ahead and give me your experiences, because even though i know everyone uses and needs different things, i tend to find that i can adjust easily to whatever i get as long as it has the important basics. thanks again in advance. sorry for the longish post.

j.h.
j.h. is offline   Reply With Quote