Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 23, 2008, 5:55 PM   #11

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Railfire-

Congratulations! You are one of a very few camera bufs who are willing to always take a camera with them, no mater how big the camera might be.

Sarah Joyce
haha, I always have one with me too, for in a car or walking or whatever I have the Fuji S700 around my neck, rockclimbed or other stuff I have my Casio EX-Z75 stuffed in my pocket. But I HAVE noticed that some photographers don't always bring a camera!, what would happen if they could get a wonderful shot?, you wouldn't have your camera!! silly.. haha.

Anyway, i've had pictures with theee.... G-1, and G-3... or 2 ... anyway, both very nice cameras!, even if they ARE OLD. Quite nice to carry around.. helps a lot when you have good batteries!
Exilmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2008, 11:24 AM   #12

Dust in the lens of the G7/G9 has been discussed in depth on another forum. Most believe it because of the lens design, acting like a bellows drawing in dust when the lens is being extended and retrieved. I have a three year-old Canon A620 with the same design, and I have no dust. Most people responding to the other discussion thread said they did not have the dust problem, while those who did said it MUST be sent in to Canon for repairs to correct it.

I've had my G9 for nearly a month, and no dust issues. I always carry my cameras in a small camera bag, which I keep clean. I don't carry them in my pants pocket or jacket pockets.

Here is the most recent discussion of this on the other forum;

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=27692412

Dennis

wordzenpix wrote:
Quote:
I just received a used G7 I bought on eBay. Unfortunately, the lens has about 7 bits of debris in the elements, one large enough to make a nasty blob at small apertures. Does anyone know if this is common on these cameras? In 50 years of photography, I've never seen such a mess in a recently manufactured lens. Repair cost at Canon is $147. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks, Bill
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2008, 2:30 PM   #13

Dennis-

Dust and debris have caused problems with more than a few cameras. On the Sony P-200 it contaminated the CCD, on the Canon G-7 and G-9 it contaminates the lens. And yes, it is due to the bellows effect created when the lens extends and contracts. That is why I would be very careful indeed, when looking at a G-7 or G-9 on e-bay.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2008, 4:44 PM   #14

You would have to get something like the new Richo G600 to avoid dust;

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0804/08042201ricohg600.asp

Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2008, 7:07 PM   #15

Dennis-

Here is a different strategy. Buy a Panasonic LZ-8 for $149, and just replace it, if you get into a bind. It might be cheaper, and the LZ-8 is a pretty darned good camera for the $$. BTW it takes photos just as well as my G-7 and it has 5X optical zoom to boot.

Sarah Joyce

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote