Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 27, 2008, 8:15 PM   #1

I have had a G9 for about two weeks and luv it. I also have a KM 7D and don't always like to lug the rig around. Recently I have been trying to take sunrises and the G9 consistently overexposes them. I consider myself fairly knowledgeable about photography so some different ideas such as I put it on AV at f/4 and it came back about 1/3 shutter. I put the ND on and show at 2x under compensation. The exposure mode is eval, or centerweighted. I even tried to shoot in Manual. It was exposed for 2x under again and still got blown out skies. Since I am having to shoot 2x under parts of the picture are darker than they should be. Any ideas? Thanks, purptiger
purptiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2008, 9:13 PM   #2

purptiger-

When you think sunsets, I sincerely would hope that you immediately think of -exposure compensation, and then apply it. Here are two photo samples that were done using minus exposure compensation.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2008, 10:49 PM   #3

Those are lovely pictures Sarah.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2008, 12:07 AM   #4

purptiger writes: I have had a G9 for about two weeks and luv it. ...Recently I have been trying to take sunrises and the G9 consistently overexposes them. ...The exposure mode is eval, or centerweighted. I even tried to shoot in Manual...

How much non-sky area is there in these shots? A lot of non-sky (presumably much darker) area can cause the meter to raise the exposure over what it would give you if only sky were present. Even if you meter mostly off of the sky, is it off of a bright part of the sky?

You also say that you used the AV mode at f/4. I don't know how small the aperture goes on this camera, but you should be able to choose smaller apertures (larger f/numbers) than that. It might be that the camera's highest shutter speed can't compensate enough for the large aperture, thus causing blown skies. The high dynamic range of sun sets/sun rises can be outside even the 2 stop underexposure you indicate you used at one point. You may well need -3 or -4 stops of exposure compensation.

purptiger concludes: Since I am having to shoot 2x under parts of the picture are darker than they should be.

That's the problem with these high dynamic range scenes. You can either get good highlight detail or good shadow detail -- but not both! If you want to try for both, you need to get a graduated ND filter. This filter is dark on one end and gradually lightens around the middle of the filter. The transition degree can vary, so fans of these filters often have several filters with different transition gradients for different scenes. This will help to lessen the contrast between the sky and foreground making a more balanced exposure possible.

The software route to this is to set the camera on a tripod and shoot the scene at different exposures -- underexposing from the meter reading for the sky and overexposing from the meter reading for the foreground. Then you combine the exposures in the computer so that you blend together the best foreground exposure with the best sky exposure. This can be done manually with some image editors and automatically with some others. Just do a web search on terms like, "exposure blending" and "hdr blending" and you'll get plenty of information.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2008, 8:48 AM   #5

Thanks for the input you guys have given me. Purptiger
purptiger is offline   Reply With Quote