Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 4, 2008, 11:24 PM   #31

Because there has been a dramatic drop off in interest in this thread, unless things change I will probably close off the the thread by mid week or sooner. I have a lot of material to write and get into PowerPoint for our next contract which begins on 04/25. I hope you will understand.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2008, 6:15 PM   #32

I usualy don't post - am a lurker & reader & therefore had problems logging in.

Anyway, this thread was/is ofgreat interest to me as I recently purchased the Canon SX100 IS &am extremely interested in "real life" experiences to coax the best picture quality out of this little camera. The book cantell you only so much but experience can speak volumes.

My interest lies in general photography both indoors & outdoors. Am not into using tripods nor know anything about light tents. Therefore I did not post earlier as the discussion gravitated towards the light tent. (did not even know what it was until I read it here - LOL) My interest is inquality pictures for the general consumer & was hoping that this thread would impart some "tricks" so to speak that would help in that regard. As stated, experience speaks volume & you certainly have that experience & to pick your brain would be an honor. :-)

Beth

Nightspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2008, 6:51 PM   #33

Sorry I have not been on...I have had two sick children to care for.

Here is my question for now:

If I was to be taking everyday picture of my kids (bday parties, sports, etc) what setting would I need to be in?

Also there are times when I am using my camera and that orange light is blinking meaning I am moving the camera too much but other times it doesn't and I know I am moving.

I bought my camera for my new business but I also bought it for everyday pictures.

I have decided not to use my light tent after seeing how unique my bows looked when I used concrete outside as a background. It was suggested by another woman that sells the same product.

There is obvious a lot to learn abou this camera:

Auto: ?

Program: ?

Tv:?

Av:?

M:?

SCN:?

Thesymbol with the kid and pet:?

The portrait symbol:?

Pretty much all of them except for the video one.

What do they do? How do I know what setting to be in?

I have read the manual and to be honest I am not all that familiar with the camera tech vocabulary.

roni624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2008, 6:57 PM   #34

Well, many thanks to you, Beth-

I was just about ready to "fold the tent" on this thread. Yes, the Canon SX-100 is a rather capable camera. Initially, even I found it a more difficult camera to hold steady, than I thought it might be.The Canon SX-100on paper, really falls into what I would call the ideal family camera. It has a lot of potential.

Beth, it is now up to you. Please tell us how we can help you? What kind of photos do you take. Or even better yet, please share with us how we can help you with YOUR SX-100. Here is a nice SX-100 photo sample.

Sarah Joyce

Old Apr 6, 2008, 7:26 PM   #35

Roni-

I sincerely hope that your children are feeling much better. Having raised 8 children myself, I know the deep feeling and the concern.

Please let's make this as simple as possible. Just use your P for Programed Automatic Mode. Make that your primary mode. TV is the shutter priority mode, and you are not ready yet to go there. AV is the aperature priority and you are not yet ready to go there. M is the Manual Mode and, honey, you are not yet ready to go there either.

SCN stands for Scene Mode. Please feel free to use them, if you really understand each Scene Mode. Portraits are one of the Scene Modes and it is on the SX-100 Mode Selector on top of the camera.

As I cautioned before Roni, please just let's make things simple. Use the the P (Programed Auto Mode) as your primary picture taking mode. Then as you begin to understand more, we can expand our explorations.

Did you see what I was able to do with the Macro photo of the matchbox? That would be how you would photograph your hair bows. Thanks for re-joining our SX-100 Gallery and Tutorial.

Here is a photo sample taken in the Portrait Scene Mode.

Sarah Joyce

Attached Images

Old Apr 6, 2008, 8:00 PM   #36

Thank you...I will work in the Programmed part of my camera first. There are a lot of things that pop up on the LCD that I need to figure out what they all mean.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 8:05 PM   #37

Now THAT is what I call a beautiful closeup. Wow! Very clear!

I do have a few questions re: the irks or best settings of this camera.

Is it better to start off with Auto ISO or set a specific ISO? I do have it seton P mode & somewhat understand some of the settings. Currently I have been experimenting with ISO 80 100 & Auto.

Does the Auto ISO have a cap like 200 for example?

Is it better to shoot at Superfine Large orM1?

I have used the M1 (as that gave me extra safety zoom) since I do love to zoom on this camera. Does the M1 give as good a picture quality as the Superfine Large? I could not tell.

Is it better (on this camera) to use Image Stabilization on continuous or shoot only?

Is it better to leave it at Center Focus or Face Detect Focus?I noticed that this camera does not have 9 point focus.

Beth (who has a lot of dumb questions on this SX100)
Nightspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2008, 8:42 PM   #38

See..that I don't understand:

When I go into the menu my digital zoom is off.

I am not sure what AF Frame and AF Frame

Slow Synchro

Safety FE Auto ISO Shift

MF- Point Zoom

Safety MF

AF Mode

AF- assist Beam

IS Mode

..in the tools area:

Format

File numbering

Lens retract

There is also all kinds of vivid and custom settings on here.

What is M1 M2 M3 S and W for?

OMG...I am looking at all these settings and it is throwing me off.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 9:03 PM   #39

Ok, Beth, we will go through your post sentence by sentence-

I use Auto ISO on the SX-100. However, I keep a very close eye on what ISO it actually select. If I believe that the Auto ISO has gone off the "deep end," then I will set the ISO to a fixed ISO number or setting. Thus far, I have found that the Canon Sx-100 usually takes an agreeable and conservative approach, setting an ISO setting that is reasonable.

Please always use the Super Fine setting. That will command the SX-100 to use the least compression on your images, which is very desireable.

You can use IS on either continuous, or in the shot mode. To save battery power, I use my SX-100 in the shot mode.

Beth, I really prefer to use the Center Focus Mode. That way, I can personallyactually make the selection as to where the SX-100 focuses for any photo. That is an important issue for me.

Now, just a good heads up, if I can make it to each of you. As you might expect, as a digital camera instructor, I too, have to go to work. So, please let's be clear that I will be here and readily available to each one of you until 04/25. My husband and I teach digital camerason cruise ships. We will leve home 04/25 to head out again. We will be gone and at sea, and unavailable until 11/30/2008.

You might ask, why are we unavailable? Well, on cruise ships, each minute of Internet time costs between $(US) 0.75 and $(US) 1.00 per minute. We simply cannot afford to run up a HUGE internet bill while we are working. We are just ordinary middle class folks. And those costs are more than we can afford. It is as simple as that.

The longest time that we will be available between 04/25 and 11/30/2008 will be for just 7 days. During that time we have time to do laundry and re-packing, and not a whole lot more. At age 73, the long contracts take a lot out of you. I hope you will cut us some slack andunderstand that.

Sincerely,

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 6, 2008, 9:35 PM   #40

Sarah...I am just grateful that you are taking the time to explain this to us. Even if I do not get to learn it all before you leave, at least I will have some knowledge of my camera. The rest can be through trial and error.