Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 6, 2008, 11:06 PM   #41

Roni-

I cannot over emphasize enough that the SX-100 camera documentation is your best piece of documentation. I can only add to that documentation. I really cannot replace it.

Therefore, I have to ask that you really pay close attention to the SX-100 documention itself. It is going to be your real and very basic foundation. All I can hope to do, is to add tothat basic documaentationwith some photo examples, techniquesand the like. I cannot teach you everything photographically from the very beginning. For that, I would suggest that you check with your local Community College. Local Community Colleges usually have a rather extensive digital camera program.

I have to depend on the fact that you are working with the SX-100 documentation as your foundation and that I can add so technique tips. I have taken great pains to explain to you step by step what I am doing. You seem to ignore those posts. So what am I to understand??

Do you not understand my step by step instructions, or what. Please give me some detailed input so that I can more effectively help or assist you. Thanks!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2008, 11:27 PM   #42

I am sorry if I am having a hard time understanding. I will take your advice and look into summer classes for this issue. Thank you.
roni624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2008, 11:43 PM   #43

roni624 wrote:
Quote:
I am sorry if I am having a hard time understanding. I will take your advice and look into summer classes for this issue. Thank you.
My Canon cameras have very similar options to yours (perhaps more options). However, many of these options are not those I wish to use, so I don't need to spend time learning them. What I did with the manual is to read it over once (yes, I know it's over 100 pages) while mentally checking off what I definitely did need to know, what I might need to know, and what I didn't need to know. It turned out that 1/2 of the options are those about which I felt I did not need to know. This made my learning curve much easier.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2008, 11:59 PM   #44

Andy-

Thanks a lot for your post. That is a very good insight. Just pick out of the camera's documentation what you need, and let go of the rest. Good thinking!

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 7, 2008, 3:05 AM   #45

Thank you so much, Sarah, for all your help. I understand about the agefactor as I am heading in that direction also, having just turned 60 last Nov.

I am not a complete novice to cameras but doknow that each model has its own little quirks & "sweet spots" & since I saw this thread on the SX100, thought that I would avail myself of your knowledge before you left & as it turned out, I was right. You have a wealth of knowledge & your willingness to take the time to share this knowledge is verykind of you.:-)

I do have a bit of info to share regarding the battery life of the SX100 since some havestated on various forums that this camera does not have or give good battery life..........I use rechargeable 2700 Nimh batteries with a Maha charger & have been getting excellent battery life. I do a lot of setting changes, experimentation,test pictures, etc. & must say that these Powerex batteries are worth every penny & keep on ticking like the energize bunny. :-)

Also want to add that as an alternative to the rechargeables, I have used (on my A610 & A720 IS) theEnergizer e Lithium batteries asthey last a long time, giving excellent battery life. I imagine that the same would hold true for the SX100 since the A720 is also a 2 battery camera like the SX100.

Ohhhh, I do have one more question.......doestheSX100 havea tendency to overexpose or underexpose? I know thatexposure depends onthe lighting situation, but was just wondering if you hadnoticed a trendon this camera. Again, thank you for all your help. Am deeply grateful.

Beth

Nightspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2008, 9:31 AM   #46

I would like to add something to the discussion if I may. Your camera's documentation will tell you HOW to use a feature on your camera. They do a good job of that. But they usually do a poor job of educating you as to WHY to use a given feature.

I might suggest visiting the local library and getting a couple books on photography. The principles are the same regardless of what camera model you use. If you gain an understanding of those principles you can pick up and digital camera, spend 1/2 hour with the documentation and you'll know all you need to know to take photos with that camera.

A class is always the best bet - but for those who dont want to or cant take a class, spending a month with a couple books from the library practicing and learning the principles of photography will be well worth it.

In that manner you can understand what each of the scene modes are on the camera and what they are really doing. It's really not as challenging as you may think. Think of it this way - the digicam is like a calculator. You're much better using the calculator if you understand the math involved than if someone just teaches you how to press the buttons on the calculator.

Again - it's a different paradigm - learning the basics of photography - the use of the specific tool is a piece of cake if you know the basics first. Otherwise, you'll never understand the WHY - and when you're presented with a shooting situation Sarah doesn't cove in this thread, you might find yourself at a loss for how to best use the camera to get good results.

Now back to our regularyly sheduled program (sorry for the interuption Sarah :G)
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2008, 10:09 AM   #47

Many thanks for your excellent post JohnG-

It came at exactly the correct time and there is a great deal of wisdom in your post. You are a very competent photographer who produces great sports photos. In fact, you area perfect example of what you shared with everyone in your post.

Have a great day!

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 8, 2008, 10:42 AM   #48

Nightspirit-

Many thanks for the nice post. While I have read a number of reports of short battery life in the SX-100. Nothing in my experience documents that. Like you, I use 2500maH nickel-metal-hydride batteries and frankly, I have been pleased with the battery life.

Earlier in this thread we did a little discussion on tripods and if IS really made tripods unnecessary. Take a look at this photo taken in Upstate New York last fall. There are a number of factors that contribute to making this photo so excellent. First of all the cross lighting coming from the right hand side of the photo put a beautiful emphasis on seeing all the texture in the trees and the buildings. Secondly, the wide degree of sharpness was obtained by using a tripod. If you want post card like landscape photos, a tripod should be in your kit. Thirdly, the position of the late afternoon sun at 4:00pm, when it is not nearly or directly overhead provided that wonderful cross lighting.

When we discussed tripod earlier, I shared that I keep only heavy duty tripod at home ready for use. I have had that tripod for 50+ years. It is heavy duty and can hold the biggest DSLR and flash that you have. When I travel, which is quite often, I take alongmy light weight$29 tripod from Walmart that packs nicely even in my 21 inch carry-on suitcase. We have lectured on World Cruises, short cruise, and medium length cruise, but I always pack a tripod.

Have a great day!

Sarah Joyce

Old Apr 9, 2008, 12:05 AM   #49

Folks-

There has been little or no response to my thread. It is not a big deal. Therefore, I intend to shut down this thread tomorrow (04/09/2008 at noon PST). I hope that you will understand and appreciate that this thread can not go on indefinitely without responses.

Like everyone else in this world, I have my own priorities and I sincerely need to attend to those other needs. If after noon on 04/09/2009 I make no more replies, I hope that you will indeed understand. that I am not angry at all, but that I have just moved on to other things and priorities. We have an upcoming contract that I must prepare for in the next few weeks.

It was a good idea, but most probably it occurred at an inconvenient time for a lot of you. Many thanks to those that did post in the thread.

God bless everyone and have a great day!

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 9, 2008, 12:45 AM   #50

Double posting, I apologize!

Sarah Joyce