Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 30, 2008, 10:01 PM   #1

03/30/2008

Beginning 01 April we will start a Canon SX-100 Tutorial and Gallery. No, this is not an April Fool's Joke at all! It really will happen, and I sincerely hope that you will join us for the fun!

We will have a gallery of Canon SX-100 photos, and yes, we will share with you exactly how those photos were taken and how you can increase your own personal skills with the Canon SX-100. Please tell your friends! This is your chance about how to learn more about an external flash, using a light tent, and just simply getting the very most out of your Canon SX-100.

Please join us won't you. We have a certified Canon Intructor who will offer each one of you a lot of hands on experience. Have you ever desired one on one instruction? Well, for three weeks only it will be available to you. Check back on this site tommorrow. you might learn a great deal more than you might have suspected!

Sarah Joyce

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2008, 11:52 PM   #2

Perhaps, you are like me, and are waiting for the camera to be delivered. There are some things that you should have on hand for the camera's arrival. Two fully charged AA sized batteries are required to the SX-100. There will be two Alkaline Batteries included with the SX-100, but they will last for just about 80 to 120 shots.

Rechargeable Nickel Metal Hydride batteries are inexpensive and they will last at least twice as long as Alkaline batteries. Then rather than throwing them away, you just recharge them. A set of 4 cost $(US) 6.99 at Walmart. They can be recharged 1,000 times. Look for a rating of 2,500 mAh in these batteries as the SX-100 uses just two AA size batteries.

The size of the SD chip really does not matter. I found this 256mb chip on sale for $(US) 1.29 recently. These two items will be good to get you started.

How did I take the photo? I used a Fuji S-8000. I put the camera in the Macro Mode (Macro is the Mode for shooting objects when the camera is less than 30 inches from the object). I made sure the flash was turned off, and I took the photo inside the house using the light from a window. You will be able to do the very same thing with the SX-100 and the camera's IS (Image Stabilization) system will help not blurring the photo if you have a slow shutter speed and some inadvertent hand movement.

Have a great day!

Sarah Joyce

Old Mar 31, 2008, 4:05 PM   #3

The UPS truck dropped off the Canon at noon today. It came with two Alkaline batteries and a nothing 16mb SD card.

Here is the first photo of my husband, Bradley who does not mind me taking photos of him all the time. My observations after the first photo:

(1) The shutter release takes a greater amount of push than you might be expecting.

(2) Using the LCD to frame your photo will take some practice to reduce hand movement.

(3) Finding the half way down position on the shutter release to get the SX-100 to focus was easily done.

(4) Focusing was quite fast.

(5) The photo was taken indoors without flash

(6) The photo is not DSLR sharp but the SX 100 does have the sharpness that you would expect from a family camera.

I will come back with more later.

Sarah Joyce

Old Mar 31, 2008, 6:07 PM   #4

I am excited about this. Thank you for offering this tutorial.
roni624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2008, 6:54 PM   #5

Thanks for joining in Roni-

Here is a photo I did with the SX-100 just now for a post. I turned the camera on. Selected the Macro Mode (the symbol is a little tulip) which is on the left hand side of the 4 way controller on the back of the camera. That allowed me to fill the fame with the camera and flash that I was photographing.

I shot the photo in the "P" or Programd Auto Modenext to a glass sliding door, hand held without flash, and with the ISO in the Auto. As I was shooting down directly at the floor, it was easy to rest my arm against my leg as I framed and did the shot. That stadied the camer nicely.

When you push half way down on the shutter release to get the SX-100 to focus, the aperture and shutter speed that camera is going to use is shown on the LCD screen. That is valuable thing to know for me, because I always want to have some idea about possible camera movement. Yes, IS does help, but you always want to have as many things going positively for youas possible for you.

This is the kind of photos that you will need as I understand it. So perhaps this little exercise will help. The bigest advantage of shooting with natural light is that you can use Automatic White Balance and you don't face any White Balance problems. The Macro or Close-up Mode on the SX-100 so you can move in quite close, even if your subject is quite small, such a hair clips.

Sarah Joyce

Old Mar 31, 2008, 8:22 PM   #6

This photo was taken with the Fuji S-8000 camera. It show the SX-100 side by side with its biggest competion, the Sony H-3. The H-3 has a slower lens, but it has a much better built-in flash. The Sony H-3 flash range goes out to 23 feet, which is pretty amazing. The H-3 is also one of the first cameras that take better photos in the Automatic Mode than the "P" for Programed Auto mode.

You will notice that both cameras are just about the same size. And Yes, I sincerely believe that the Canon SX-100 is better than the H-3. I just wanted to be realistic and to show you the competition as soon as possible.

As we get into this tutorial more, I hope that we will have some questions. That would allow me to better personalize the tutorial to your specific photo needs. And yes, I already had a PM asking about if I had the necessary qualifications to conduct this tutorial. So let me share my qualifications with you, right upfront, and we will dispense with that issue.

I have been a profesional digital camera instructor for over 10 years. I am a certified instructor for Canon, Nikon, and Kodak cameras. I have written 4 books on digital cameras. My husband, Bradley, who so willingly puts up with me taking his photo all the time, and I regularly teach digital cameras on cruise ships. We have 220 days of cruising and teaching scheduled for 2008 BTW.

We will be home until 04/25 so this is an ideal time to complete this Canon SX-100 Gallery and Tutorial.

Sarah Joyce

Old Mar 31, 2008, 9:29 PM   #7

Okay the Auto and P have me confused. I noticed you have the dial on P in the picture. I am only on page 17 of the manual.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 10:00 PM   #8

This is a wholly different situation. It is where you opt to use your zoom capabilities in place of the Macro Mode. It is called a Zoom Macro. You use zoom in place of macro to get a close-up of something.

In this case, it is a rather common flower that blooms in the spring, called the Red Hot poker. Here is the photo taken in the normal color mode.

<a hre

Here is the same photo in the Vivid Color Mode.

So that gives you a comparison of normal versus the vivid color mode.

Sarah Joyce
Old Mar 31, 2008, 10:43 PM   #9

So when I am zooming in on an object from a distance I should have my setting on the "P" on the mode dial?

And if I am taking a close up shot of an object then I should have it on Auto and then click on the left function button to set it on Macro?

Sorry for all the questions. I have taken several pictures already. I just need to install the software into my computer so I can download them to show them to you. I took one today of one of our deer. She was pretty close to me but I zoomed in as much as I could. I was on Auto, zoomed, then took the picture.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 11:05 PM   #10

Roni-

I know that you have light tent. So let's begin there. A light tent has a white balance problem. But that can be overcome. Let take this from square one and build up from there. You can either do close-ups using the Macro Mode or use the Macro Zoom approach. My suggestion is to use the Macro Mode for starters. That might be easier for you to do.

Zoom in on those hair clips and we will take it from there. Please just show me a macro example and then we will perfect it.

You might even want to begin with few carpet examples, and then we will take it from there. Please don't be afraid. Just give me an image and we can move forward from there. This tutorial is all yours, Roni so take advantage of the one on one focus and perhaps we can get exactly what you want.

Sarah Joyce