Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 6, 2008, 4:52 PM   #1

I think I need some help.

I just bough a S5 IS and im VERY unhappy with it. I would like to know if the bad image quality (softness/blurs/lack of details) problemsthat Im getting is a caracteristics of this model or my camera has a problem.

You see, I have an old Canon A70 and im EXTREMELLY happy with it. I great excellent quality images with it, full of details and very well defined, and I wanted to get a better camera to replace it.

I almost got a Sony H7 but since I LOVED Canon's image quality on my A70, I went for the S5, but now i totally regret it. Looks like Sony puts out much more defined images.

The real problem is that my old A70 can process better pictures than my new S5, when I download them to the PC, zoom in and compare pixel detail and definition.

Is the A70 really better than the S5???

The pictures are OK if you look at them without zoom, but if you zoom in, the borders are really blurred, badly defined, there is a LOT of noise (ISO is ALWAYS 80).

I tried turning OFF all the camera enhancements, tried all ISO combinations, with and without flash. I always use P setting, but even tried the AUTO to see if that worked. It added even more noise!!

The bad image quality appears on both indoors and outdoors pics.

You can see the same problem on a photograph another user posted on this forum, as a sing of good quality of the camera.....if you zoom in, you'll see that the pic has not definitton, borders or details like old Canon cameras would put out.

HELP!!!!!!
mabhz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2008, 5:03 PM   #2

We can't help you if you don't show us the problem...post a couple of pics (with EXIF data attached).

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2008, 6:07 PM   #3

and how do I post the pics? can I attach them to this topic???

andthe EXEIF is thecameraconfiguration when the pic was taken??

Old Apr 6, 2008, 6:27 PM   #4

When you reply to a post, there is a small window near the bottom of the frame which is labeled, 'Browse...' Click on it, and find the location of your photos on your hard drive. Select one and then you can post it directly here. You will have to resize it so that it is no more than 250KB. The EXIF data is embedded in your pics. It may help us determine the cause of your problems.

the Hun

Old Apr 6, 2008, 6:45 PM   #5

You did a great job, Rinnie

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2008, 6:47 PM   #6

The Canon S-5 is a very capable camera. So please don't worry. Please show us some example photos and we will do our very best to help you out. Here is a sample S-5 photo.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2008, 7:08 PM   #7

rinniethehun wrote:
Quote:
When you reply to a post, there is a small window near the bottom of the frame which is labeled, 'Browse...' Click on it, and find the location of your photos on your hard drive. Select one and then you can post it directly here. You will have to resize it so that it is no more than 250KB. The EXIF data is embedded in your pics. It may help us determine the cause of your problems.

the Hun

Thanks!! But problem is, if I resize, you wont be able to spot the contour and details problems that occur when you zoom in.

If you look at the pics without zooming in, they are just great. But when you zoom, and if you compare to a picture of the same subject taken at the same time with the A70, you can see that the A70 puts out much more detail and less noise when you max in the zoom on Photoshop, for instance.

Is there a way of printing the pics here without reducing the quality?

You can spot the same problem in the pics on this post: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=15

Just use the IE 7 browser ZOOM function, at the lower right, to max the zoom at 200% at least and you will see that the pic lack definition.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 8:19 PM   #8

" If you look at the pics without zooming in, they are just great."

So don't zoom?

I don't understand...you link to some resized pics, then want me to zoom in on them? To what degree? 200%? 400%? What is the purpose? Are you trying to print poster sizes of your photos?

Are you saying that if you enlarge your S5 pics 400% they don't look as good as your A70 pics enlarged 400%?

And the point is?

the Hun

Old Apr 6, 2008, 8:50 PM   #9

Exactly!!!

If I enlargethe S5 pics, if I zoom inona facefor instande,they don't look as good as myA70 pics of the same subject, taken at the same time, same position, iso, aperture, etc.

The point is?

Come on, man. Its obvious!! THe S5 should give MUCH BETTER pics than the A70!! I dont need 8 megapixel! I bought a better camera because of better IMAGE QUALITY, not zoom or megapixel!!!

What you are trying to say is that is acceptable that the S5, a much more expensive and technologically improved camera puts out WORSE pics than a much older cam!!

Thats is just inacceptable!!!
Old Apr 7, 2008, 3:41 AM   #10

Unless you plan on buying a DSLR in the near future, looks like your going to have to live with it. Don't complain to me, complain to the manfacturers...they're all the same. As far as they are concerned, the public has spoken - with their wallets...we want more megapixels...we want more ridiculous shooting modes, we want bigger zooms and higher ISO settings (even if they don't work for crap).

What's that - you want image quality too? How about 20MP's and a 45x zoom instead? It will sell...

the Hun