Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 8, 2008, 9:59 PM   #1

My sister is buying an A720-IS via mail order very soon, (she lives in the sticks!), and I thought I'd get her a nice 'whopper' SD card to go with it. instead of the 16M card canon provides.
,.. so the question of speed arises,...

"Is there really any point in using high speed cards with an A720-IS ?"

I know from tests on my A95, it really doesn't seem to matter how fast a card I give it, it really doesn't improve the A95's performance.
* The speed limits appear to be generally already set by the cameras maximum write speed *
I wonder, does anyone know if outfitting an A720-IS with a high speed card provides any performance improvements over just an ordinary 1x card?

regards, lcm
:|

lmelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 16, 2008, 11:51 AM   #2

lmelin wrote:
Quote:
My sister is buying an A720-IS via mail order very soon, (she lives in the sticks!), and I thought I'd get her a nice 'whopper' SD card to go with it. instead of the 16M card canon provides.
,.. so the question of speed arises,...

"Is there really any point in using high speed cards with an A720-IS ?"

I know from tests on my A95, it really doesn't seem to matter how fast a card I give it, it really doesn't improve the A95's performance.
* The speed limits appear to be generally already set by the cameras maximum write speed *
I wonder, does anyone know if outfitting an A720-IS with a high speed card provides any performance improvements over just an ordinary 1x card?

regards, lcm
:|

Well I've never used an A720 so I cant say for sure, but I know even on my several year old S1 IS if you dont have a high speed card the camera buffer will fill up very fast when taking video clip. Infact, with a couple cards I have it will shut down the video after only like 15-20 seconds because the card cant keep up. However if you are getting a new big card they should be pretty much all high speed i would think, I just bought the cheapest 16GB card I could find (A-Data, a few months ago) and its faster than any other card I've had yet (SDHC calss 6 if I recall).
mInDtrIP is offline   Reply With Quote