Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 9, 2008, 7:36 PM   #1

Hi everyone, I hope somebody with a bit more knowledge may be able to help me. I have already e-mailed Canon regarding this and they were less than helpful.

Ihave the Canon A640. No fancy bits, just as it came. Every now and again in the last couple of months I turn the camera on, get ready to take a picture, push down the button and nothing happens. On the screen the arrow that shows the flash is on just flashes at me. I'd fiddle around with it a bit, turning it on and off, looking through the settings, putting the batteries in and out etc. until eventually it would randomly start working fine again. Then about a month ago it just decided to never ever go back to being fine again. I'm at my wits end as I used to use the camera regularly, whereas now it is only able to take a photo if everyone stands completely still and I set it to "no flash", and this is no good at all!

If anyone has any ideas they would be greatly appreciated. I've tried changing batteries etc. Does it just need to go in for repair?

Sorry for the long post, and many thanks for any replies
ratgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 9, 2008, 9:33 PM   #2

Have you turned the flash to always on? And even with it at that setting the flash still doesn't come on? If that's the case, you have a broken camera. You should send it to Canon if it's under warranty or else start looking for a new camera.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2008, 10:08 PM   #3

That sounds like my S1. As you mentioned I found that it started very slowly, and I think it's because it was charging the capacitor for the flash. Flash would never trigger at all settings, brought it in for repairs, they said something on the main board needed repairs/replaced for 250-300 dollars. I was very annoyed with canon, the camera was only 18 months old just outside the warranty, they refused to discount the repair. Camera now sits in my closet, right beside the underwater housing that I've used 2 times. I replaced with a S3 eventually, it's been 18 months and I always cringe weather or not this camera will fail. So if it needs repairs, don't bother, buy another camera (canon or not) and like me hope it doesn't fail again. I always wonder about all companies quality control. Canon is no exception.
garman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2008, 10:39 PM   #4

It sounds like a faulty camera, and will likely need repairs. Depending on which country you're in, the repair could be expensive. I was in Hong Kong recently and got my canon G6 repaired at a surprisingly low cost (maybe around 80 dollars) after they replaced a couple of important switches after my camera (in my backpack) dropped a metres from a storage rack of a tour bus with a loud crash. The camera was unusable after that crazy drop. But now it's fixed, and took only 5 days! At where I live now in Australia, I'd probably be paying $US50 just for somebody to quote and ship to somewhere for repairs, and then pay a few hundred dollars extra for the repairs, not to mention a huge wait...like a month!
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2008, 3:01 PM   #5

Hi, thanks for all your help. I agree with you all and hopefully I'll some point I'll get a chance to pop into town to the camera shop. If the repair is going to cost loads then I may just get a new camera. Thanks for all your help and advice :-) Very much appreciated
ratgirl is offline   Reply With Quote