Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 6, 2008, 10:39 PM   #1

I recently picked up a TX1 - it has some great features like supermacro, 10x optical zoom, OIS and 720p video recording. It also features 44.1 KHz stereomicrophones and full variable-speed optical zooming during video recording.

Supermacro:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hofYJwcmwPo&fmt=6

Optical image stabilization:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdCbqoulGwc&fmt=6

Indoors:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xWHyYunCFM&fmt=6

Still:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/emmycmz...61928/sizes/l/

I see that a lot of users are buzzing about 720p pocket cameras like the NV24, TZ5, FX500, Z500, etc. When it comes to sound quality, focusing, optical zoom and supermarco, they all seem to come up short when compared to the TX1.

Too bad the TX line is being discontinued - I think Canon was on to a good thing.

Thoughts?
cmz360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2008, 8:49 AM   #2

The TX1 is designed, or at least it looks to be designed, first as a movie camera and as a still camera second. That may be why the movie function is so good, but it's also why it never sold in enough numbers to warrant a second model. It's a clumsydesign as a still image camera, and more people buy these to take still images. I've never, not once, shot a movie with my point & shoot digicam, andthere's nodoubt I am notin the minority when it comes to that or this camera would have been a success.

I would not doubt some of the good features of the TX1 will make it into future "A" series cameras, if the design allows for it. One things for sure, you've now got yourself a nice compact movie camera that's likely to become an expensivecult item to find for a couple of years once the new stock is gone....at least,until the technology becomes totally obsolete.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 7:14 PM   #3

I just received my brand new TX1 and love it, but after taking several pictures and movies, I noticed some sort of tiny blue dot (like a burnt pixel of some kind) sitting almost squarely in the middle of the LCD screen, which also appears in pictures and movies when I view them on my computer. It is more apparent in dark backgrounds and invisible in most pictures because of the lighting, but as soon as it is darker, it is there. I have enclosed a cropped picture of the defect. I assume the problem is in the lens, but what is it exactly? Anyone knows?

Thanks.

UPDATE: Nevermind guys. I just returned it for a refund. The eBay seller agreed, especially after he saw the pic. I'll just get another one.
Attached Images

Take a Picture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2008, 10:24 AM   #4

Which batch date is your camera? The camera had image noise in early reviews. I am interested in seeing if the noise, fly screening or latitude has improved since the early batches. Have you noticed any noise, fine fuzz or fly screening movement crawl in normal lighting situations?
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2008, 10:57 AM   #5

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
The TX1 is designed, or at least it looks to be designed, first as a movie camera and as a still camera second. That may be why the movie function is so good, but it's also why it never sold in enough numbers to warrant a second model. It's a clumsydesign as a still image camera, and more people buy these to take still images. I've never, not once, shot a movie with my point & shoot digicam, andthere's nodoubt I am notin the minority when it comes to that or this camera would have been a success.

I would not doubt some of the good features of the TX1 will make it into future "A" series cameras, if the design allows for it. One things for sure, you've now got yourself a nice compact movie camera that's likely to become an expensivecult item to find for a couple of years once the new stock is gone....at least,until the technology becomes totally obsolete.
I tend to agree with everything you say but will just add that the stills are actually excellent.

My hope is the TX1 technology makes it into an A series , as you suggest, mainly for better handling qualities, and a viewfinder.

With it's shortcomings, the TX1 is still the best point and shoot I've owned. Videos are important to me and I always have this little rascal with me. Besides good results, the little camera reeks of quality and is fun to use.
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2008, 3:47 AM   #6

I use the video feature a lot in my point-n-shoots. As a matter of fact that was one of the reasons I chose my Canon S1... at the time most of the competitors didnt have near the 640x480 30fps quality that the S1 had. the video was the deciding factor.Now with the S5 I've shot some video also, but I was hoping for some improvements over the S1 in that department but still the same 640x480 30fps even though several years between the model. the quality does seem a little better though, as well as some of the abilities like to take a pic while shooting video, etc. Anyone who doesnt use video I think is missing out on these cameras. I make all sorts of DVDs with a cheap burner, vids of my son I send to my folks (he just turned 2), wildlife and hunting videos, hobbies, etc.

mInDtrIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2008, 7:50 PM   #7

mInDtrIP wrote:
Quote:
I use the video feature a lot in my point-n-shoots. As a matter of fact that was one of the reasons I chose my Canon S1... at the time most of the competitors didnt have near the 640x480 30fps quality that the S1 had. the video was the deciding factor.Now with the S5 I've shot some video also, but I was hoping for some improvements over the S1 in that department but still the same 640x480 30fps even though several years between the model. the quality does seem a little better though, as well as some of the abilities like to take a pic while shooting video, etc. Anyone who doesnt use video I think is missing out on these cameras. I make all sorts of DVDs with a cheap burner, vids of my son I send to my folks (he just turned 2), wildlife and hunting videos, hobbies, etc.

I'm with you. I do a lot of video with my A710 on quail hunting trips. I like the results for my purposes of recording memories to look at during the off season and between trips. I also have a Canon TX1. It takes great video and stills, zooms during video, has stereo sound etc. Unfortunately, it just can't be operated with one hand with gloves on.

I'm hoping Canon puts HD, zoom during video and stereo sound and VIEWFINDER in one of their new A series cameras. They have the video thing down pat in these small hybrids.
Old May 17, 2008, 12:52 AM   #8

thanks for the info, you helped me make up my mind about buying tx1... can you tell me what memory card are you using with it? i dont know which one to buy with this cam.
joyceanblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2008, 7:29 AM   #9

joyceanblue wrote:
Quote:
thanks for the info, you helped me make up my mind about buying tx1... can you tell me what memory card are you using with it? i dont know which one to buy with this cam.
I'm currently using a Sandisk Extreme III 8GB SDHC and a Panasonic 4GB (the ones with the golden stickers) with zero buffer issues, even while zooming. Great cards, both put out 20MB/sec. read AND write, which is what you need to ensure stable video capture. Other cards work as well, but from what I've read around the Internet, it seems as if it varies a lot from card to card and is more of a gamble. Don't try to save a few bucks when the best of the best is already very affordable (Sandisk and Pana are awesome, Lexar also makes great high-speed cards).

Leaving for Eurppe today with my TX1, will have lots of opportunities to test it in various conditions. My visit to the Auschwitz extermination camp & memorial in Poland should prove particularly interesting and make for unforgettable pictures.
Take a Picture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2008, 8:10 AM   #10

I also use the Extreme 3 cards with absolutely no problems.