Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 26, 2003, 11:23 AM   #1

Default Odd resolution problems

I use my A60 both at work and at play, and at work, my boss's computer is running Windows 2000 Pro and Photoshop 7.0. At home I'm running XP Pro with Photoshop 7.0.

When I try to get images off the card at work, on my boss's computer, they come out at 180 resolution. If I get them at home, they're 300. This is on Superfine, with 1600x1200 resolution.

At work I'm using a card reader and opening the files from Windows Explorer. At home I'm hooking the camera directly to the computer via USB and importing the pics through photoshop.

Anybody know what might be causing this?
DeadWolfBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 26, 2003, 12:02 PM   #2

It doesn't matter. Just go by how many actual pixels there are, not DPI. They are the same pictures, doesn't matter if one says 180 DPI and one says 300.
The Photo Tuell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2003, 4:11 PM   #3

I'm just curious as to what might be causing it.
DeadWolfBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2003, 9:09 AM   #4

Depending on the program being used (and personal settings in those programs) it will assign some value to the DPI. I don't remember the exacts but it's something like Photoshop will default all JPEGS to 72dpi and all TIFFs to 300dpi. You can change the defaults somewhere. As was said it's an arbitrary value that has no impact on the actual quality of the image until you get to resampling or resizing the image in an editing program.
whittonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2003, 10:30 AM   #5

Yea, pretty sure using the card reader for one and direct camera USB hookup for the other is causing your difference. You could try using the card reader for both and see if there is still a difference.
The Photo Tuell is offline   Reply With Quote