Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 27, 2008, 12:07 AM   #1

First of all, Hi! My name is Linda. This is my first post. I just bought the S5 and am loving it more everyday. The shutter lag time is wonderful. But... I have a problem with needing a flash inside and it taking SO long to recycle. I take alot of pictures of my 2 yr. old grandson and he is hard to keep up with! I would like to use the continuous shot feature with flash.

So, my question is this- If I had a 'speedlight' external flash, could I NOT use the built-in flash? And does the speedlight get it's power at all from the camera? In other words, could I shoot successive pictures more quickly with the speedlight? Or would the camera have to power it back up too? Or would it take the speedlight as long to recycle as it does the built-in flash.

I hope I have made my question clear. I can tell that this is THE place to go for answers. Thankyou in advance.

Is there a place to buy a cheap speedlight?
applemac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 29, 2008, 6:21 PM   #2

I have noticed that if you use regular alkaline 1.5 volt batteries that are fresh the recycle time is quick.

My guess since NiMh batteries are only 1.2 volts each this causes this issue. I do not think Canon factered this issue in this time because other models dont seem to have this issue.

The speedlite using its own batteries so I am sure it would be ready pretty fast. You cannot use the built in flash at the same time as it need to be lowered to use the speedlite.

I have not seen any cheap canon branded flashes.

scottnj1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2008, 2:46 AM   #3

applemac1 wrote:
Quote:
So, my question is this- If I had a 'speedlight' external flash, could I NOT use the built-in flash? And does the speedlight get it's power at all from the camera? In other words, could I shoot successive pictures more quickly with the speedlight?
Very slow recharging time of the built-in flash is a characteristic of the S5. Even good batteries do not significantly reduce the recharge time. On a full discharge or a full-power flash shot, it can take up to 8 seconds to recharge.

And, yes, an external Speedlight will solve your problem. I know because I went to a Speedlight 430EX because of the same issue you have - I used to miss a lot of shots while waiting for the built-in flash to recharge.

Recharge time of the 430Ex is very, very fast. And the range is much, much greater than the built-in. You can search the web for the specs of this flash.
a-beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2008, 12:26 PM   #4

Here's a link describing the Canon flashes. The 220EX will do an okay job, and has four AAs like the larger flashes, so it will also recycle quickly, and costs less. However, the 430EX has more flexible options, so you may want it for the long haul.

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography...peedlites.html

Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote