Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 24, 2008, 11:41 AM   #1

Hi Everybody, I would like to exchange ideas with others users of a Canon PowerShot A 720 IS.:idea:

Looking forward to your messages.

Kindest regards, Margarita

Margarita is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 24, 2008, 8:31 PM   #2

I have one. What do you want to know?
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2008, 11:40 AM   #3

Hi Andy,

I would like to know what setting you use for a normal usage. Do you find enough time to alter the setting if you eg. take photos during a travel? I fear I won't have enough time for it. How many photos had you taken till you got accustomed to the usage of this camera? Now, as abrandnew owner I find it like computer center for the Ambulance with the so many buttons :?. I can see many people using digital cameras and using always the same settings but I would like to make use of its all advantages. In your opinion what is the character that more attention should be paid to?:?

Thanks for your replies in advance.

Old Jun 25, 2008, 1:55 PM   #4

Margarita wrote:
Quote:
Hi Andy,

I would like to know what setting you use for a normal usage. Do you find enough time to alter the setting if you eg. take photos during a travel? I fear I won't have enough time for it. How many photos had you taken till you got accustomed to the usage of this camera? Now, as abrandnew owner I find it like computer center for the Ambulance with the so many buttons :?. I can see many people using digital cameras and using always the same settings but I would like to make use of its all advantages. In your opinion what is the character that more attention should be paid to?:?

Thanks for your replies in advance.
I had no trouble from the first, as I used it on auto all the time, which usually gave me good pictures. After about 50 photos I started experimenting with the manual settings for low light shots without the flash. I read some things online about how to use them and after a couple of weeks I felt fairly comfortable using them when I needed to (which wasn't all that often). Then I started experimenting with the My Colors controls - sharpening, contrast and saturation. After that I started playing around with the scene modes. After 1500 photos I'm still learning how to use the A720IS and I've enjoyed it the whole time. My advice is 1-read the manual, and 2-don't be afraid to experiment.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 12:38 PM   #5

Hi Andy, Thank you very much for your detailed explanation and useful pieces of advice. Do you suggest keeping My Colour Controls on as a usual setting? Have you bought any accesories for it - like lenses and filters or a tripod? Do you use the wrist strap or can it be changed to a neck strap?

Old Jun 26, 2008, 1:30 PM   #6

Margarita

For the past couple of months I've been mostly shooting with the camera set to P mode, which lets you activate the My Colors (My Colors don't work in Auto mode). I've found that, in most situations, I like the effect of having the sharpness and color saturation set to +1. When I shoot flowers or trees, I set the camera to the foliage scene mode, and it gives good results. I think the foliage scene mode bumps up the color saturation to the maximum.

The only items I've purchased for my A720IS are the Canon camera case and four Sanyo Eneloop AA batteries and an Eneloop recharger. I don't want to invest any more money in it, as I'm considering purchasing another camera with a longer optical zoom - possibly a Sony, Canon or Panasonic.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 2:20 PM   #7

Hi Andy, I see. What are your experiences about changingISO numbers? I have read in the book on digital photo taking that sometimes it is worth doing that. I plan to make notes on your pieces of advice and on the book I am reading and try to apply them in the photos.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 10:42 PM   #8

I adjust the ISO only when I'm in a low light situation and I don't want to use the flash. I put the camera on M (manual) mode or Av (aperture priority) mode, adjust the aperture to 2.8 and set the ISO to 400. If the picture is too dark I'll reduce the shutter speed (after making sure the camera is in M mode). If it's too blurry, I'll increase the shutter speed. If the picture is still coming out too dark, I may increase the ISO to 800. With that high an ISO, your pictures will be a little grainy but they will still look OK as long as the size of the photo is small.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 9:49 AM   #9

Oh, I see! thanks. When taking photos which view finderdo you use? The LCD or the optical view finder? I had been thinking about buying a Canon PowerShot SX100 but I didn't choose that for it not having an optical view finder and in case of bright sunshine the LCD can't be seen.

May I ask you to upload some photos you have made by pre-setting the camera for the theme? Can the settings be preserved somewhere or are we bound to remember them? If you don't want to put them here, it's my mail address: margarita dot mails at gmail dot com.