Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jul 2, 2008, 5:22 PM   #1

I'm looking at purchasing the A650 as a smaller pocket camera to carry around instead of my dSLR. I was looking at the A650, but can't determine if you can zoom while doing video. My husband has the G9 and it does zoom. But, I don't want to spend that much.

Thanks, Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 3, 2008, 3:21 PM   #2

The A650 has only digital zoom during video. The G9 is the same, I'm relatively certain. The only Canon's that optically zoom during video are the S series. The current S5 does wonderful video and zooms out to 12X.
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2008, 9:10 AM   #3

Thanks, Setter Dog. I'll have to look into it. But, I think the S5 is much bigger than I was wanting. I wanted something to just carry around in my purse as a backup. We'll see.

So, is there a problem with digital zoom as opposed to optical zoom? I know with my old Olympus D550 I had it set to never go into digital zoom because the images were useless. But, we haven't noticed that with the G9. Is it just techologies better than 6 (??) years ago?

Patty
Old Jul 4, 2008, 2:22 PM   #4

I've never used digital zoom. I have a TX1 that zooms during video and an A710 which has a 6x zoom but only digital zoom during video. I like them both. The A710 has a viewfinder which I really like. AAA batteries are nice also.

I agree the S5 is a tad large. The A650 is a tad bulky also. Have you considered the A720? It's a great little camera. The TX1 is an amazing gadget with HD video and stereo sound. I bought it instead of the S5, stirctly for size.

My guess is that by September Canon will have an A series that zooms during video and maybe even has HD video. That's what I'm hoping for.
Old Jul 4, 2008, 5:11 PM   #5

Thanks, Setter Dog. I liked the A650 for the 12 MP and longer zoom than just 3X. I have been thinking of just waiting. Although, I'm going on a trip I don't want to carry my dSLR in October and wanted a p&s by then.

I really want a viewfinder, large MP, fairly large zoom (at least 5X, preferably more), runs on AA batteries, not too small to not be able to hold easily. I'm not crazy about the G9 my husband has. He did just add a grip that has made it easier to manage. Needs video with zoom. I think those are my high points.

What is the TX1? I'm not finding it in the reviews.

Patty
Old Jul 4, 2008, 6:24 PM   #6

Patty,....the TX1 is a Canon hybrid that's very small and excellent at stills and HD videos. Look it up on Amazon and read the reviews there. Digital Photography forum also has lots of posts about it if you search.

The complaint I have with it,.....the ONLY complaint, is the tiny LCD. Other than that, it's a great camera. Quality all the way. Everyone that has it loves it. It's built like a tank. Some have dubbed it,..."The Swiss Army knife of digital cameras"

Although I plan to continue using the TX1 for most things, I need a camera that is completely operable with one hand for my bird dog/quail hunting ventures. The TX1 simply won't cut it. My A710 is great in every way except no zoom during video. I've tried the A650 in stores and it would have been fine too, though a little larger.

I'm hoping for a new release that zooms during video and has at least 6x. These digital cameras are a lot of fun for me and they are relatively inexpensive. I'm not bashful about buying a new model when it has the things I want. Video and stills in the same small camera are equally important to me. I am partial to Canon, primarily because of their superior video, and will probably stick with the brand.

http://forums.powershot-tx1.com/index.php

Above is the url for a TX1 forum if you get a hankering to know more about this little camera.

Jack

Old Jul 11, 2008, 12:44 PM   #7

The A650 and the G9 are very similar, and neither can optically zoom during video, but you can digitally zoom. Focus and optical zoom are fixed during recording. The S5 can optically zoom during video, and record sound in stereo.

Here are some links to reviews of the TX1;

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/d...2&pid=8562

Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2008, 12:26 AM   #8

Thanks for the info, Dennis. I'll check it out.

Patty