Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 2, 2008, 7:51 PM   #1

Hi,

Anyone know how to get the "EOS Utility" software to do remote capture with the 890 IS? I downloaded all the latest software from Canon for this camera PLUS the latest version of of EOS Utility 2.4.03. All I get are dimmed buttons.

Canon has had, and continues to have, the most retarded and idiotic software for their cameras. The way you have to download and install ios idiotic also. If you down load the software for just the 890 it has a much older version of "EOS Utility". I just bough this camera....and the software Canon includes with is as old as it is?? Crazy.

Anyone have any suggestions? Steve didn't really discuss the software with this camera in his review.

Thanks,
Jeff
JeffNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 2, 2008, 9:52 PM   #2

The way the Custom Self Timer works in this camera is also dumb. You can set the delay and number of pics. But if you set the delay to, say, 15 seconds and the number of pictures to 4 the camera does not take 4 pictures, 1 every 15 seconds.....it waits 15 seconds then shoots 4 in row! DUMB......especially when Canons Remote Capture software does not seem to work with this camera. What does Canon, who makes a fairly good camera, have such trouble finding guys to write their software? I mean this is a MESS....ImageBrowser....."CameraWindow"....."EOS Utility"....."CameraWindow DC".....and some of the most horrendous user interfaces and screen controls I've ever seen!! This software is WORSE NOW than the software that came with my SD110!! Hey Canon, WAKE UP! Your sofware is awful!!
Old Aug 2, 2008, 11:13 PM   #3

Well, after some poking around I found a thing called "RemoteCapture DC" and I ran it and got this error message....
http://home.earthlink.net/~jeff_ny_0...Cgargbage.tiff

But there also appears to be a thing called "RemoteCapture Task" somewhere....maybe THAT is used for remote capture???

God this Canon software is a MESS. If I find out this camera does not support remote capture (for the amount of money I paid for it) I am going to be upset....and wish I never bought another Canon.

This is crazy. Too bad Steve did not point this stuff out in his review. Steve, you should add to your Canon reviews how bad Canon software has become....even worse than 3 or 4 years ago.....which seems impossible to do. But Canon did it. Bozo The Clown must now be their guy in charge of softare now....
Old Aug 2, 2008, 11:32 PM   #4

Well, I found "RemoteCapture Task"...but when I launch it is says
"Start RemoteCapture Task from Canon Utilities CameraWindow"
http://home.earthlink.net/~jeff_ny_0...ptureTask.tiff

Well.....
1. There is no application called "Canon Utilities".
2. If they are referring to "CameraWindow" (which actually calls itself "CameraWindow DC" when you launch it...try and figure that one out) I can find no way to launch "RemoteCapture Task" from within that application!!

Bozo did a great job keeping Canons software reputation horrible. And the PDF manuals for the camera and software are ZERO help to....
Old Aug 2, 2008, 11:36 PM   #5

I also just tried running CameraWindow...erh, I mean CameraWindow DC....whatever it's called.....with no memory card in the camera to see if that would get it to take control of the camera. I get a message saying "No memory card inserted in the camera.". Well, thanks Bozo....I already knew that.
Old Aug 9, 2008, 2:40 PM   #6

I have the G9 and it has the remote shooting capability (operate camera while connected to PC via USB).

I downloaded the PDF versions of your SD890 IS User Guide and Software Guide for information. Your Software Guide says on page 41, that Remote Shooting is available on your camera only if it says it supports it in your User Guide's Specifications section. I checked your User Guide (using search feature of the PDF file), and "remote shooting" is not in your guide, therefore your camera is apparently not supported with this feature.

I did the same search in my G9 User Guide and it is listed in the Specifications section, and I it does work with my PC. In my User Guide it lists Remote Shooting in the Specifications section after Self-timer and before Recording Media. In your User Guide, it lists Recording Media right after Self-timer on page 219.

Canon has apparently stopped including this feature on most of their newer releases.

Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2009, 4:19 PM   #7

Dennis, very helpful info even if I'm needing it 1.5 years later!

Thanks! What a shame that Canon dropped the Remote Capture from so many of its cameras-- I was looking forward to an upgrade, but this makes me hesitant! Of course, what other cameras do remote control/capture out of the box?
astroman007 is offline   Reply With Quote