Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 15, 2008, 6:55 PM   #11

Thanks for the post, Dennis-

The Panasonic LX-3 looks to be a rather impressive camera. While I heartily dislike the bulk and weight of a DSLR kit, one will have a rather difficult time arguing that a digicam can compare head on with a DSLR camera.

In the end, it is a a matter of imager size. And it is in the matter of imager size that the DSLR camera, although bulkier and heavier, will always win, particularly in the low light level photo environment.

My only suggestion, is that at some point, we have to make a choice. I have worked extensively for almost a week in creating the Canon EX-430 Flash Tutorial, for which I needed once again a Canon S-5 camera.

It has been a revelation to work with the EX-430 Flash and the Canon S-5. In good light, be it natural light or Flash Lighting, the IQ of the Canon S-5 has been really great. And that is in a $300 camera.

We all want to do everything from the low light environment to the external flash camp, and everything in between. Unfortunately, that "do everything" camera, has yet to be produced and marketed. So, my evaluation is that we have to narrow our goals a bit, and perhaps work with several cameras, each attuned to a different area of photography.

Just my two cents of musing. Thanks for listening.

Sarah Joyce

c
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2008, 4:06 PM   #12

Another thread in this web says he has heard rumours that the Canon G9 is/will be discontinued ? If this is the case, maybe Canon is introducing a G10. If so, can hardly wait to see a test.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2008, 7:50 PM   #13

While you wait to see what the "G-10" will do, you might want to read this article on image sensor formats. There is an embedded table of relative sizes that can be expanded to full size. The G9 sensor measures 1/1.7".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_sensor_format

Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2008, 8:14 PM   #14

denncald wrote:
Quote:
While you wait to see what the "G-10" will do, you might want to read this article on image sensor formats. There is an embedded table of relative sizes that can be expanded to full size. The G9 sensor measures 1/1.7".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_sensor_format

Dennis

Thanks for the link to an informative article. It is a good reference when understanding the relative size of image sensor formats. I recall the first time I gained an understanding of image sensor formats, when a knowledgeable and wise older, professional photo store clerk, explained the difference on the back of an old receipt. This article is a very clear explanation and the inclusion of picture formats adds to the understanding. I wish I had known about the link back then and before.

Les
Old Aug 22, 2008, 8:34 AM   #15

The image sensor size is the major issue most folks are discussing, or more likely complaining about. Your question about whether the G9 is comparable to a good DSLR is definitely a NO simply based on the relative image sensor sizes. It is the main complaint from DSLR users that buy the G9 thinking it will produce the same image quality as their big DSLRs.

The G9 can produce excellent images in very good lighting, but image noise becomes evident as the ISO increases. There are other issues too, like less dynamic range than a DSLR. The higher quality lenses available for DSLRs also comes in to play. Faster response time for action shots is another complaint against the G9 when compared to DSLRs.

The lists go on and on.

Dennis
(G9)
Old Aug 22, 2008, 5:57 PM   #16

denncald wrote:
Quote:
The image sensor size is the major issue most folks are discussing, or more likely complaining about. Your question about whether the G9 is comparable to a good DSLR is definitely a NO simply based on the relative image sensor sizes. It is the main complaint from DSLR users that buy the G9 thinking it will produce the same image quality as their big DSLRs.

I agree. The Canon G9 is a pricey camera and I think as you say, DSLR owners who buy the G9, can sometime assume that the picture is the equivelent to their DSLR. That was my question, as I wondered due to the price of the G9 and it's features if I would be getting similar quality as I do from my K10D.

The G9 can produce excellent images in very good lighting, but image noise becomes evident as the ISO increases. There are other issues too, like less dynamic range than a DSLR. The higher quality lenses available for DSLRs also comes in to play. Faster response time for action shots is another complaint against the G9 when compared to DSLRs.

The lists go on and on.

Dennis
(G9)
I'm waiting for a smaller camera, that I can stuff into my denim shirt pocket, that has similar quality to a good DSLR. I think it will come. Eventually.

Les
Old Aug 22, 2008, 6:09 PM   #17

lesmore-

The national desire seems to be for a 2.5 ounce camera that will fit in a shirt pocket with 5 or 6 X optical zoom and produce the image quality of high level DSLR cameras.

If you understand camera design, and the physical size of even the best of the current technology's CMOS imagers, you will understand that a huge technical break through would be required to come anywhere close to the mythical 2.5 ounce camera.

It is going to take a major camera maker who is willing to do two things: (1) go out on a limb. (2) to invest millions of dollars in a gigantic R&D program. So your wait might indeed be a long one. Optimistically, I am guessing around 3 years if we have a camera maker willing to take up the challenge.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2008, 8:42 PM   #18

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
lesmore-

The national desire seems to be for a 2.5 ounce camera that will fit in a shirt pocket with 5 or 6 X optical zoom and produce the image quality of high level DSLR cameras.

If you understand camera design, and the physical size of even the best of the current technology's CMOS imagers, you will understand that a huge technical break through would be required to come anywhere close to the mythical 2.5 ounce camera.

It is going to take a major camera maker who is willing to do two things: (1) go out on a limb. (2) to invest millions of dollars in a gigantic R&D program. So your wait might indeed be a long one. Optimistically, I am guessing around 3 years if we have a camera maker willing to take up the challenge.

Sarah Joyce

Yes it's asking a lot, but having started in the hobby, in 1968 with a bare bones Pentax SLR, S1a (H1a in the U.S.) with a hand held Sekonic light meter , 1/500th of a second top speed....I have to say I'm truly amazed and grateful to see what a difference in technology there is, between my old S1a (still have, still works) and my 2007 Pentax K10D.

I truly enjoy the technological versatility that I have at my option with the K10D..

I look forward to what marvels the camera designers will come on for tomorrow's camera marvels. As I'm no spring chicken :-) I just hope I'm around to enjoy what we have in store for our photographic future.

Your 3 year estimate sounds good to me.

Les

Old Sep 2, 2008, 9:23 PM   #19

lesmore49 wrote:
Quote:
I'm waiting for a smaller camera, that I can stuff into my denim shirt pocket, that has similar quality to a good DSLR. I think it will come. Eventually.

Les
Have you considered the Olympus E-420 with the 25mm pancake lens? It is supposed to fit in your denim shirt pocket.

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/d...=olympus+e-420

Dennis