Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 7, 2003, 5:41 AM   #1

Default Powershot G5, two questions...

I'm about to buy a Canon Powershot G5 camera. Although the review told me a lot, I need to know two more things.

1. The memory: is it better to make use of a microdrive or a CF card? I want to have 1Gb of memory in my cam. For the time being, the microdrive is cheaper than the CF card is... is it a good idea to spend more money for a CF card, or will I be fine with the HDD?

2. The batteries. If I'm right, the cam comes with a 1150mAh battery pack. As I want to be sure I always carry enough power with me, I want to buy an additional battery pack. I've found out that GP makes 1350mAh batteries for the G5. Are these batteries any good? They come for a good price and so I'm very interested..

Well.. thanx in advance for answering. BTW, I apoligize for my English, I know it's horrible
Dee-ehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2003, 3:07 PM   #2
rgr

I 1gb drive will be terrific, I have gone into a different route, I just got my self a portable storage this is a Xís drive VP2060II, I both it for 100.00 then add a 30GB hard drive, now I can store all my pictures on it while I am traveling, so I can manage with a 128 or 256 card for the day.

So for about 200.00 I got a 30gb storage unit, as of know it is working real good, letís see with in 3 months or so if this continues to be de case, I am sure it will work fine, is portable, has 1.5 hr battery, and is very light, so it is terrific.
rgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2003, 7:20 PM   #3

Why do you think you need a gigabyte of storage? Seems pretty arbitrary to me. A better approach might be "I want to be able to save XXX pictures".

Compact flash cards are coming down in price and it might be smart to buy a fairly large one now (256MB cards are about $50 now) then another one in a few months when the price will be much less.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2003, 2:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr
I 1gb drive will be terrific, I have gone into a different route, I just got my self a portable storage this is a Xís drive VP2060II, I both it for 100.00 then add a 30GB hard drive, now I can store all my pictures on it while I am traveling, so I can manage with a 128 or 256 card for the day.

So for about 200.00 I got a 30gb storage unit, as of know it is working real good, letís see with in 3 months or so if this continues to be de case, I am sure it will work fine, is portable, has 1.5 hr battery, and is very light, so it is terrific.
In terms of comparing price, it helps when you tell us that the 100 is a 100 UK pounds remember people from all over the world read this. If you indeed meant $100 then let me know where you bought it!

I did a (very) brief price comparison (CNET and shops), and I have to agree that the higher capacity cards are (very) expensive if you can afford the extra luggage space and weight for the storage unit. Cheapest 1Gb compact flash go for around $200, if you want 2Gb it'll cost ya at least $400 (and i am not talking high speed cards yet). The solution that rgr talks about would cost you around $380-400 ($330 for the portable storage and $50 for a 256Mb CF card). So if taking lots of pictures while travelling is your thing, this is a very price competitive solution (providing you will find enough power outlets or take enough batteries with you). All price indications are without shipping costs of course.

I am certainly considering it over buying a 1Gb flash card as I already invested in a 256Mb CF and for a few extra bucks I get Łber Gb storage, that is when I have financially recovered from buying my latest digicam.

Let us know how it is working out for you rgr (dont wait for 3 months pretty please? :P )
BigMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2003, 2:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman
Why do you think you need a gigabyte of storage? Seems pretty arbitrary to me. A better approach might be "I want to be able to save XXX pictures".
I am sure Dee-ehn can do the math Wildman. If you know the (average) size of your (compressed) pics on the card, the rest follows.

Just stating "I want to be able to save XXX pictures" without specifying the (average) image size (in pixel dimensions or total size) and compression settings is just as arbitrary (even worse, as you cannot do the math anymore, if you just state the requirement as you propose).
Old Oct 8, 2003, 3:48 AM   #6

Indeed Big Mac, I did the math already

For the time being, I have an Olympus C300Z with two memory cards, good for about 340 pictures. As I really am "shoothappy", I think I'd better spend the money on the bigger CF or MD memory...

Why I need so much storage? Often when I'm taking pictures, I try all kinds of different approaches and at home, I pick the best ones out. Of some object, I take up to 20 pictures (that's also a learning curve eh?).

Anyhow... some guy told me that when I used an MD in that cam, the pictures could easiliy go messed up because the MD is slower than regular CF cards. Is that correct?
Old Oct 8, 2003, 11:05 AM   #7

Walking round the web i've found that many people prefer the G3 over the G5 for some quality reasons.. any commend anybody?
Old Oct 8, 2003, 6:44 PM   #8
rgr

:lol:

Yes what I am talking about is 100 US dollars.

Ok here is the whole scope:

The unit is a Vosonic Xís Drive II model 2060 (Donít buy the older model it only supports USB1.0)

You can find info on Vosonic Xís Drive II at http://www.vosonic.co.uk/index.htm

And now the good stuff.

I purchase the Unit with out hard drive for 99.99 plus shipping from http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/ I found them in ebay.

You can buy a unit from them with a 20G drive for 199.00US, which is great price, however I got the one with out a drive, then after I got it I purchase a 2.5Ē 30 GB 9.5mm drive, just be sure that is 9.5mm and 2.5 (yes the ones for Thinkpadís).

Before I found digital discount, I try to buy one directly from Vosonic, but this folks have some sort of attitude problem because first they direct me to a dealer which out saying which one, and then also say that it was impossible to buy the unit with out hard drive. (This force me to look for a less expensive unit someplace or the same US dealer ).

Then when I told them about the little problem I had with the hard drive (See below), they reply with a very unfriendly e-mail ďImplying - donít contact us we donít have time for you - contact your dealer if you have a problem with the unitĒ.

And I just wanted to be nice with them and tell them of the problem I had with the unit so they can make the unit better. So Ö. Them (continue reading to find out about the problem)

I also purchase the drive in Ebay, but I am sure you can buy them almost anywhere, or for less work just get the 20G drive unit, still 20G is tons of storage.

After I got the drive I install it and I formatted with Windows XP as a FAT32 and that was it. Now a word of caution donít get a larger than 32GB drive, you will need to formatted as FAT32 so nothing larger than 32GB is supported. If you are using a Mac to format the drive be sure that the Mac is X 1.01 or above, otherwise the FAT drive will not be compatible with Windows. (You can also use this drive to share data or store data if you want- Really it is cool unit)

Also a small engineer change I had to make to the unit, but only because the drive I bought didnít contain a protective aluminum case that protects the electronic side of the drive. The problem lies that a 9.5mm drives fitís very tight (which is great) and the cover gives something, that causes a piece of plastic that holds the battery in place, to pressure the drive where the engine is - causing the engine to drag, so place the drive first with out closing the case, have it running and format it, then screw the driver in place put the cover and check to see if you hear the engine dragging, if that is the case, then remove the drive from the case, remove 4 screws that hold the battery compartment and with some snipers or a nail clipper trim out about 2mm of the battery stopper, so the battery stopper would not protrude and pressure the hard drive when is in place of the top of the case gives.

It only takes 3 minutes to do it, but do it carefully to avoid breaking the battery holding case.

So that is it. I hope this info helps.
Old Oct 9, 2003, 1:57 AM   #9

Great info rgr

The section below got me a bit confused though

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr
After I got the drive I install it and I formatted with Windows XP as a FAT32 and that was it. Now a word of caution donít get a larger than 32GB drive, you will need to formatted as FAT32 so nothing larger than 32GB is supported. If you are using a Mac to format the drive be sure that the Mac is X 1.01 or above, otherwise the FAT drive will not be compatible with Windows. (You can also use this drive to share data or store data if you want- Really it is cool unit)
I read the specs and indeed it said FAT12/16/32 compatible. However they also sell a 40Gb model. How can that be?

Just curious, 20Gb will do the trick for me I am sure.
Old Oct 9, 2003, 7:22 AM   #10
rgr

Drives for ThinkPadís or 2.5Ē come in 10-20-30-40 etc. a 30 is a little less that 30, so here you are still under the upper limits of FAT32, a 40 you will get aprox 3GB from it and you will still have about 6+G left, so you can create another partition on it.

So you will end up with a 32G and a 7 and change partition on a 40G drive. Word of caution I am sure that the unit can only see the first primary partition, but the second partition can be view by Windows or the MAC as a secondary drive, so you can use this area for computer data/storage.