Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 16, 2008, 6:56 AM   #21

Ok Sarah, here are the shots i didn't know whether to send them to you via pm or here in topic, the first shot was in TV mode auto ISO and the slave set to off and mode ETTL on flash i was only able to get 1/40th without the shutter going on and off:evil: so how you and every one else are getting 1/125th or 1/200th you got me, oh and in auto ISO it gave 400 ISO. Click on image

hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2008, 6:58 AM   #22

Here is the same one except in P mode 1/60th auto iso at 400,

Old Aug 16, 2008, 10:23 AM   #23

Hercules,

Make sure you have the safety shiftover-ride optionturned if you are using a Canon(DSLR). It will reset the exposure settings (shutter speed & Apeture) to what the camera thinks will providethe proper exposure, ignoring the fact that you are using a flash. This setting is turned on by default. I had a lot of graduation photos ruinedbecause of motion blur. I found that the EXIF info said 1/15 when I wa using TV mode of 1/125. After I changed this setting, I get whatever TV setting I chose. I hope I'm not way off base, just trying to help.

Bill
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2008, 11:06 AM   #24

wsandman1 wrote:
Quote:
Hercules,

Make sure you have the safety shiftover-ride optionturned if you are using a Canon(DSLR). It will reset the exposure settings (shutter speed & Apeture) to what the camera thinks will providethe proper exposure, ignoring the fact that you are using a flash. This setting is turned on by default. I had a lot of graduation photos ruinedbecause of motion blur. I found that the EXIF info said 1/15 when I wa using TV mode of 1/125. After I changed this setting, I get whatever TV setting I chose. I hope I'm not way off base, just trying to help.

Bill
I will do that, but first you got to tell me where the safety shift over-ride is thanks
Old Aug 16, 2008, 12:01 PM   #25

Look in the menu, it'sone of the C Fn - customfunction settings and it says safety shift in AV or TV and it's either enable or disable. I don't know if any of the point n shoot models have this setting or not. I never noticed the effect because the 20d's LCD was so small that the photos looked sharp until I viewed on my monitor. Once I looked at the EXIF settings I read the manual and this was the cause of the difference in the setting I put in and what the actual shutter speed was.
Old Aug 16, 2008, 12:06 PM   #26

wsandman1 wrote:
Quote:
Look in the menu, it'sone of the C Fn - customfunction settings and it says safety shift in AV or TV and it's either enable or disable. I don't know if any of the point n shoot models have this setting or not. I never noticed the effect because the 20d's LCD was so small that the photos looked sharp until I viewed on my monitor. Once I looked at the EXIF settings I read the manual and this was the cause of the difference in the setting I put in and what the actual shutter speed was.
I have the Canon 450D, now i see in my menu mode in my 450D external flash function when i press set with the flash turned on it will not open it will say flash is either turned off or it is not compatable i have no idea whats going on, my camera says it's ETTL ll but my flash unit says ETTL:?
Old Aug 16, 2008, 3:29 PM   #27

Hercules, the setting I was describing is for the camera only not the flash settings. I don't want to spoil whatever Mt Climber is telling you. She's taking you through a step by step process. I want to make sure your camera doesn't have the safety shift over ride set to enabled as it will modify the shutter speed even if you have it set to a specific value. The 430EX is definitely a eTTL II model. Contact me at [email protected] as we don't want to ruin the tutorial thread, here.

MtClimber,

I'd like to hear more about manual setting and flash, especially for the S5 IS model. I have a 420EX flash
Old Aug 16, 2008, 3:48 PM   #28

Hercules-

I think Bill is on the right track. The problem that you are encountering is camera based, not flash based. And because I only have our Canon XT to work with, which has a different menu structure, so I cannot help you. I apologize!

Bill-

Today I will handle flash accessories. Tomorrow I will do some work with the EX-420 mounted on the S-5. But in all honesty there is no difference in how either the EX-420 and EX-430 work, the back panel of the flash is the only difference.

And I am sorry to have to tell you that I am not going to go into manual flash techniques. I have to be ready to teach on a cruise ship by 23 August, and I still have material I have to prepare for that contract. I enjoy doing these tutorials, but they are time consuming and require a lot of research.

I am down time-wise to a point were I have to prepare my teaching material. After all, that is what I get paid to do, and that has to be my #1 priority. I hope that you will understand.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2008, 4:16 PM   #29

Today we will do installment #6. We will look at various flash accessories that are available in the market to help you get more out of your external flash.

Let's next look at several ways in which you can modify the light or flash coming from the EX-430 flash.

[img]file:///C:/Users/Sarah/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image002.jpg[/img]Here is a photo of several sheets of common 8.5" X 11" blank paper being wrapped around the flash head. Some refer to this technique as the "Better Bounce" technique. It provides very soft reflected lighting. It is useful if you do not own a flash diffuser, because it allows you to get in really close to your subject. It is ideal for macro or close-up photos, children's photos, or for informal portraits at a close (3' to 4') distance.
Here is a photo sample of what the Better Bounce Technique can produce.

Here is what is called a flash diffuser. It is installed over the head of the EX-430 Flash. Its purpose is to take the harshness out of the light from the flash, and to spread the flash over a much wider area if you are using a wide angle lens.

This is not a Canon EX-430 Flash of course, but a different but similar flash with a tilting head just like the EX-430 Flash. Here we see a Stofen brand flash diffuser placed over the flash head. Stofen is one of the leading brands of flash diffusers. A flash diffuser softens your outputted flash and widens the zone of light coverage if you were using a wide angle lens. A flash diffuser allows you to use the flash head in the 0 Degree Flash Head position, and to work close into your subject.
[img]file:///C:/Users/Sarah/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image002.jpg[/img]Here is another flash diffuser, but it is used in 90 Degree Flash Head position. Gary Fong a wedding photographer designed this diffuser. There are many "knock-off's" of his design. It works just like the Stofen flash diffuser, but with a different flash head position. The Stofen is good close-up. The Lightsphere is better for wide angle groups.

The Light Sphere or knock-offs like it spread the light of your flash over a very wide area. Here is a sample photo that shows what a huge crowd a Light Sphere can really cover.

Now here is the flash diffuser produced by the Demb Company. This diffuser is designed differently to be used when your flash head is in the 90 Degree Flash Head position.

[img]file:///C:/Users/Sarah/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image002.jpg[/img]The Demb Company also makes flash accessories. Here we see the "Big Flip It" flash bouncer. The Flip It is attached to the flash head by an elastic Velcro band. As you can see the reflector angle can be varied by the photographer as desired.

Here are some Flip It photo samples:

Finally there are indeed times, for example in a heavily back lighted situation, where your external flash comes in handy to light areas that would be shadowed or excessively darkened. Take a look at our sunset sample photo. All the light in the photo is coming from the sunset, which is behind this man. We want to light his face so we can see his hair blowing in the wind. So we use our flash to light his face. This type of flash is called "Fill Flash." It has that name because we are using our flash to put the light where it is needed. It is a very effective use of flash and one I use all the time.

So that finishes up this installment. Tomorrow, we will do a quick installment using the EX-420 flash for Bill. I sincerely hope that you have enjoyed this EX-430 Flash Tutorial and have learned more about your camera and your flash. Hopefully you will set up your own series of photos to learn how the different flash head positions each create a different light situation in your photo. I will continue to monitor this thread dring the final week I will be home. We leave to teach again on 23 August. So after 23 August I will not be on the Forum until 16 September. I will be happy to answer any and all questions that any of you might have.

Have a great day!

Sarah Joyce

Old Aug 16, 2008, 11:30 PM   #30

The only difference in the Canon EX-420 Flash and the Canon EX-430 Flash is power, the back panel, and the recycle times which are slower on the EX-420 Flash. I first purchased my EX-420 flash to go with my original Canon G-1 camera many years ago. It has continued to work very reliably for many years.

The EX-420 has a bit less flash output or power, takes more time to recycle, and has a different control panel on the back of the flash. It will work fine with any Canon DSLR or digicam camera that has the standard Canon hotshoe. You might be able to find it on http://www.ebay.com at a bargain price.

Otherwise it works exactly the same way as the Canon EX-430 Flash. Here is how you set-up your Canon S-5 camera to work with the EX-420 flash:

Place the ISO selection to "Auto ISO."

Select P for Programed Auto on your S-5's Mode Selector

Select "TV" if you desire to control or select the shutter speed used.

Shoot as normal with the Canon S-5 camera, adjusting you Flash Head position as necessary.

Can the Canon EX-420 Flash , like the EX-430 be used in the Manual Mode? Yes, it can. However, you must understand that you, the photographer is going to become the "entire brains" for your camera's flash operations. In my many years of teaching photography, I have found very few photographers who want to use Manual Flash. On the other hand, most folks want to use the automatic mode that are available on both the EX-420 and the EX-430 Flashes, which were actually designed to utilize the Auto Mode the best. Their emphasis is more on lighting their photos consistently in the very same way so they can use the creative aspect of their flashes to add light where required to their photos.

Here is an illustration of the back panel on the Canon EX-420 Flash:

Here is the back panel on the EX-430 Flash. You can readily see that they do indeed differ:

Essentially there is only very little difference, other than power and recycle times. Therefore, everything that we have written about the Canon EX-430 flash in our tutorial, applies to the Canon EX-420 Flash.

Once again, we hope that everyone has both enjoyed and learned from this Flash Tutorial. We do not leave for Stockholm until 23 August, so in the remaining week, I will be happy to handle any and all questions you might have. Good Luck to all of you! Enjoy your photography and share it with others.

Sarah Joyce