Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 17, 2008, 1:04 AM   #31

Sarah,

Thanks, I think your tutorial answered most of my questions. I just need to review a little more and I'm all set. I have a Canon 5d and some of the techniques you've given here will work with it as well.

Thanks
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2008, 1:59 AM   #32

Bill-

You are exactly correct. Everything here will work the same with the Canon EX-580 as well as the EX-430 or EX-420. Our whole goal here was to get folks started. From then on, they will perfect their very own flash technique. The result: better photos! I am pleased that you enjoyed the tutorial.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2008, 5:21 AM   #33

Another thing i just saw today is, when i am outside in sunlight the 430EX won't let me choose a shutter speed of more than 1/200th of a second this is strange, i think i should take the flash back and get me the 430EX ll that is probably made for my camera since it is a ETTL ll.
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2008, 8:42 AM   #34

Hercules,

Unless the flash is set to the Hi-speed mode, the top sync speed is 1/200 of a second or less. There should be a setting on the flash to allow you to place it in the hi-speed mode. Then you should be able to use the flash at higher shutter speeds, especially useful for outdoor photos.

Bill
Old Aug 18, 2008, 10:07 AM   #35

wsandman1 wrote:
Quote:
Hercules,

Unless the flash is set to the Hi-speed mode, the top sync speed is 1/200 of a second or less. There should be a setting on the flash to allow you to place it in the hi-speed mode. Then you should be able to use the flash at higher shutter speeds, especially useful for outdoor photos.

Bill
Yes your right just one more question how do you set the auto zoom on the 430EX because when i turn the flash on it just says zoom - - but when i press the zoom button the M zoom will show, the instruction manual says that it can be set in auto zoom too but it doesn't say how thanks.
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2008, 8:00 PM   #36

I don't own the 430ex, I have the 420 ex, it is always in auto zoom mode.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 10:51 PM   #37

Hercules-

As of tomorrow (19 July) I am down to 5 days before I must depart our home to teach once again overseas in Europe. Unfortunately, I cannot, in the remaining time, solve your individual problem. I am very sorry, but there is not enough time remaining. I got the Canon EX-430 Flash Tutorial done, and I still have one more lecture that I must personally write for the next contract.

So my sincere advise is to contact the selling Canon Dealer or a local Canon dealer to resolve the problems that you are experiencing. I wish that I could help you one on one, and I have already spent a lot of personal time attempting that.

But, now there is no time remaining, and I must push forward with the priorities that do indeed pay me. I sincerely hope that you will understand.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 19, 2008, 8:12 PM   #38

Bill-

This one is for you. It is the EX-420 flash with the S-5. The Flash Head was in the 60 Degree Flash Head position. The result is quite pleasing. The ISO was set to "ISO Auto" and the S-5 Camera selected ISO 200 which is just about as high as you want the ISO to go on the S-5. All the best!

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Aug 19, 2008, 8:28 PM   #39

Sarah,

Thanks, really nice job and no glare in the glasses! I love the image quality I'm getting with my S5.

Bill
Old Aug 19, 2008, 10:31 PM   #40

Bill-
We leave Saturday for a month beginning in Stockholm. I am taking only the Canon S-5 and an external flash, no DSRL's this time. I think that says it all!

Sarah Joyce