Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 28, 2008, 3:28 PM   #1

I am looking for a Canon camera:|. With the following features:

1/ Built in stitch assist for panorama shots.

2/ About 5MP to keep the price low.

3/ 5x optical zoom or better would be great but will settle for 3x optical zoom.:-D

4/ Uses SD memory chips

5/ With a optical view finder if possible.

Any advise will be most appreciated 8)8)8)

BiLL

bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2008, 6:23 PM   #2

The top of the line A series Canon is the A650IS. Since the announcement of several new A series cameras, the price of the 650 has actually gone up on Amazon to $435. However, B @ H photo has refurbished models on their web site for $239. These are refurbished by Canon, are "like new" and have a 90 day warranty.

If there isn't an improved A650 by photokina in Sept, I'll buy one of the above if they are still available. I'm kind of holding out for something that zooms during video.
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2008, 8:38 AM   #3

Top of the line too out of reach!:shock:

If a Canon the A590IS for well under $200.00 is more in line.

BiLL
Old Aug 29, 2008, 10:12 PM   #4

Consider the SD1100 IS for ~$175. More compact, more likely to bring with you more often.

Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2008, 10:40 PM   #5

Thanks Dennis

Despite it only being 3x optical it does look good but...........

I am tht crazy kind of shopper that is looking for a sub-compact car but keeps looking at the stretch limos on dispay.

I have become addicted to my Panasonic TZ-1 (with 10x optical but very compact, same size as a 3x or 4x zoom camera). I also have 2 Kodaks one has a 4x zoom and a great optical viewfinder and the other has a 10x zoom with a evf (too bulky for my pockets and evf never was one of my favorites).

I am starting to consider the Kodak Z1275 with 12mp and 5x optical zoom and stitch assist too.

I am still in shopping/internet surfing mode.

BiLL
Old Aug 30, 2008, 1:12 AM   #6

I was kind of hoping the A650 would have a new improved model soon. Have been eyeing it for months. I, too, am looking for similar specs, although would like a little more MP and more zoom. And, definitely want video zoom with audio.

If anyone finds anything out there to meet the needs, I'd be interested.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2008, 7:58 AM   #7

nhmom wrote:
Quote:
I was kind of hoping the A650 would have a new improved model soon. Have been eyeing it for months. I, too, am looking for similar specs, although would like a little more MP and more zoom. And, definitely want video zoom with audio.

If anyone finds anything out there to meet the needs, I'd be interested.

Patty
Patty,...I'm hoping for something that zooms during HD video and has a viewfinder. The just announced Sony T500 might work with it's large LCD. I could use more than it's 5X zoom however.
Jack
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2008, 4:19 PM   #8

Yep, Jack. I may be looking for a camera that doesn't exist or can't be made. I'm with you on would like a little more than 5X zoom. I had seen the Sony earlier this week, but wasn't crazy about the small flat size. I didn't like using my husband's G9 until he put the hand grip on it. I really need that grip, which was one reason I liked the A650.

I did look at the Olympus SP565UZ announced earlier this week, too. Although, I think it's larger than I wanted.

I'll keep looking, although I'm running out of time. I was going on a trip in October and didn't want to lug my dSLR with me as it's a research trip. But, can't be without a camera.:-)

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2008, 5:13 PM   #9

Been wearing my fingers down to the bone surfing the internet in search for "the" camera.

I have narrowed it down to 2 Kodaks. Both have stitch assist. The Z8612 IS 8.1 MP 12x optical zoom weight 10.6 oz. (nice camera but a bit bulky)

The Kodak Z1285 12.1 MP 5x optical zoom weight 5.7 oz. Should fit in a winter coat pocket or if under the coat not bulge much .

The Kodak pano is limited to 3 images but are stitched within the camera.

The Canons look very good but 4x optical zoom is just a tad short for me. Canon has stitch assist but the final stitching is via program that goes into pc.

The hunt goes on and on and on !

BiLL
Old Aug 31, 2008, 6:12 PM   #10

Have you considered the SD890 IS (10 MP, 5x optical, OVF)?

Also, there are lots of pano software packages available, so any camera could be used to create pano shots. Canon just happens to bundle it conveniently for you.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...;modelid=16719

http://www.steves-digicams.com/digso...9e_stitch.html

Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote