Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 8, 2003, 10:13 PM   #1

Default Help! A70 won't enter playback mode!

Hey all.

I've had my A70 for four months and it's worked flawlessly until now. What happened was my friend was fiddling with the buttons and switches and accidentally left the camera/playback switch half-cocked. I didn't realize this, and turned it on. It went straight into camera mode and will not go out! I have tried everything, I can not get it to go into playback mode!

Would reseting the camera via the small battery work? If so, do I need to unscrew the little screw first? I have tried prying it open, but it wouldn't open.

Any thoughts, ideas? It's still under warrenty, and the camera store is right down the road. The only problem is that the chance of them haveing an A70 in stock is very small.

Help!
Dan O.
Melboz99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2003, 10:33 PM   #2

Most likely it can be re-set, these sorts of occurrences usually are resolvable. Don't force anything. Seems like you could remove all power and start over again. Where's your book, consult that and follow the directions for removing the small batt. Go to the camera store tomorrow before you break the thing.
mrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2003, 10:48 PM   #3

Well, I used a pointer object to get the door open. The thing was there is a piece of the door behind the handle that i was pressing agianst, keeping the door shut.

I waited about a minute, but it wasn't enough. The clock still read the correct time. I have it with no batteries at all sitting on the kitchen table. Wouldn't you leave it to Canon to have a buffer to keep the clock running without any batteries at all! Lol.

Maybe I'll check it in ten minutes.

Thanks for the reply,
I have no intention on breaking it, it's worth more money than I have in the bank,
Dan O.
Old Oct 8, 2003, 11:24 PM   #4

Well, the camera reset, but it still will not enter playback mode.

Any ideas?
Old Oct 9, 2003, 6:35 AM   #5

We had the same problem with one of our A60s here at the college and ended up sending it back to the dealer. The camera we got back was a different serial number, so this may not be something cured easily.

I don't think your friend caused the problem, ours just developed the problem by itself.

Tony[/quote]
tonyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2003, 8:29 AM   #6

Well I guess it's back to the dealer.

The next ovbious question is whether I will be able to trade up to the A80 or G3.

Do you think either would be worth the extra cash? BTW, I don't want to spend any more than $100, but preferably no more than $75.

What about the A80? The G3 may be out of my price range. How improved is the dof on the A80? I already know that the sensor on the A80 isn't really 4mp, and the difference in PPI is rather small between the A70 and A80, unlike the difference between the A60 and A70.

Are the extra features of the A80 worth the cash? Are the pixs any cleaner?
Old Oct 9, 2003, 8:52 AM   #7

Default Not 4?

How is the A80 not 4mp? is there a loop hole they found to advertise it as 4?

My only guess would be that it res's up the picture but thats doesn't sounds right.
cA70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2003, 9:22 AM   #8

How is the A80 not 4mp? is there a loop hole they found to advertise it as 4?

It's a marketing trick. The max resolution of the A80 is 2272 x 1704 pixels. Multiply those two and you get 3,871,488. That is how many pixels the image contains. There are 128,512 less pixels than 4mp.

They do this in most digicams. First, they round 3.87mp to 3.9mp, then they round 3.9mp to 4mp. I know, it's cheap. What this means is that there are only 725,760 more pixels than the A70. But even still, I don't usually go by mp, I go by PPI.

PPI, or pixels per inch, is measured by dividing one length pixel dimension by a print dimension. But the faster way to calcualte a difference in PPI between two cameras is to divide one pixel dimension of one camera by the corresponding pixel dimension of the other camera. This works because if you divide both by the same print dimesnsion, the print dimensions cancel out, leaving only pixels.

So the difference in print quality between the A80 and the A70 is 10.94%. In my book, an extra 11% more pixels is not worth paying ~28% more price (based on the lowest online prices).

This is why I like to do the math before buying a digicam. Some people believe that a 4mp camera will give them 33% better print quality than a 3mp, but they couldn't be more wrong.

Dan O.
Old Oct 12, 2003, 9:30 PM   #9

Much more important than raw pixel count is the optical performance of the camera...how good is the lens? 5 Megapixels doesn't do you much good if the lens has chromatic aberration, or is soft or dark on the edges. There are quite a few new 5Mp cams out there that aren't that good optically. The only way to know for sure is to read the reviews...and listen in on this forum!
Bert Bigelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2003, 9:48 PM   #10

I agree. But in this case we are comparing the A70 to the A80. I am assuming that these lenses are pretty comparable, although the A80 has a somewhat larger lens.

True, it is always important to address lens quality before purchasing a digital camera.

It is also important to realize that a 4mp camera will most often not yeild 33% higher print quality, as many people seem to think.

All else being held equal, a 4.0mp camera will yeild only 15.5% higher print quality than a 3.0mp camera. This is something that seems hard for the general public to grasp.

BTW, niether the A70 is 3.2mp, nor the A80 4.0mp, this is also something hard for many people to grasp.