Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 20, 2008, 4:50 PM   #11

I'll probably buy the SX10 as an all in one camera for holidays, trips to Yellowstone and grandson's sports events. I like the long zoom and the fact that you can take a still during video without interrupting the video. I really wanted HD but the Canon VGA is really nice and smooth with stereo sound.

Still hoping for a small A series w/viewfinder, that zooms during video, but I don't think it's going to happen.
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2008, 1:17 PM   #12

I posted my following wish list for a megazoom on the General Q&A board, but it might be worth repeating here:

1- Compact size and great ergonomics (my S3 IS is about right - but would be willing to go A BIT larger to allow for a larger sensor, if necessary. The handling of the Olympus SP-570UZ is even better.
2- Sensor in the 1/1.9 or 1/1.7 range at a minimum. A 2/3 sensor or micro 4/3 would be fantastic.
3- A high-quality lens without noticeable fringing and distortion that is at least a 28mm equivalent at the wide end. A 500mm-plus equivalent at the long end is very nice, but I would be willing to shorten that by 100mm in order to preserve image quality if necessary.
4- An aperture range of nothing slower than f/2.8 at the wide and and nothing slower than f/4 at the long end. f/3.5 at the long end would be even better.
5- Image stabilization - either lens or sensor based.
6-A burst mode of 3 fps at full resoluton at a minimum - 4 fps would be fantastic.
7- A user option of selecting a genuine 4:3 or 3:2 aspect ratio - not achieved by just cropping down the 4:3 to get 3:2.
8- A high-resolution electronic viewfinder with a very fast refresh rate and good low-light performance.
9- An articulating LCD screen - also with high resolution, a very fast refresh rate and good low-light performance.
10- Megapixel count isn't that important to me. But since most megazooms offer 10mp these days, that's fine. Don't raise this figure until you can offer a larger sensor and LESS noise to go with the higher resolution.
11-Excellent battery life.

It's a long list and for such a camera I might be willing to pay a bit more than the cheapest entry-level DSLRs because megazooms have their own unique mission. Panasonic's new micro 4/3 G1 has my interest. But, of course, it's not a true megazoom. You still have to change lenses as with a DSLR. And it looks like it may be an $800 camera. The G1 might be a great piece but for the kind of megazoom I'm talking about, maybe $600 would be closer to the mark. Any thoughts?
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2008, 4:51 PM   #13

There aretrade off due to physics:
  • ultra-zoom means smaller maximum apetures at current prices[/*]
  • Small size means smaller maximum apetures for long zooms
[/*]
Bottom line is I think thatlens with a 500 mm optical zoom a camera lens willhave a fairly large size if the apeture is largerthan 5.6 at the long-end. My main concern is that the apeturefor most of the zoom range is 4.0 or largerand that the technology allows for more usable higher ISO, something that advanced technology can offer at reasonable size and cost.
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2008, 5:00 PM   #14

You're right... the solution may be found with with new technology. It seems that we are just now arriving at the next breakthrough in improved sensors. But, having said that, my S3 IS is very compact, zooms from 36-436mm (equivalent) and has an aperture that runs from f/2.7 at the short end to f/3.5 at the long end. Granted, this is a 1/2.5 sensor. But I think a solution with a sensor in the 1/1.7 or even 2/3 range is possible - with current mainstream technology - and that would be acceptable to me.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2008, 11:29 AM   #15

I didn't notice the smaller max aperture on the new canon, bummer.
the F3.5 @ 435 is a really significant point, sometimes we get really hung up on iso quality and forget ISO is really about light and the wide apertures of some of these P&S cams make up for a lot of that.

I just used an EV calculator, ( http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/key=exposure ) and did a comparison.

I have a Nikon D40, when I shoot wildlife I use my 70-300VR lens. It's best aperture at 300 (450 equivalent) is 5.6 but for really sharp shots, I have to use F11. So, F11 @ iso 800 turns out to be the same exact EV as F4 @ iso 100. That means, if someone has a Canon S3/S5 and it's lens is sharp wide open (F3.5) at full zoom (are they? curious now) they can achieve an even faster shutter speed than I can at ISO 800 with my DSLR.
Of course, I can shoot at F5.6 and grab a couple more EV, but in practice I don't, unless I'm not concerned about how sharp the shot is.

So that's one thing we tend not to really focus on, is that even though DSLR's have much better high iso quality, if you want sharp shots at wide apertures, you have to really spend some cash on good glass.
Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2008, 11:31 AM   #16

hawks1 wrote:
Quote:
Has anyone heard when Canon might be rolling this one out? Just wondered with the price of the S5 IS dropping to $249. Also, what are the possible new features - hoping for 15x zoom, HD movie capability with MPEG 4 codec, ring on lense for manual focus, wider angle lense, etc.
Wow 249? Where did you see it that cheap????
I looked around and it's still 329 at circuit city, 249 is really good though....

Quote:
The F 5.7 aperture at the end of the zoom is the deal breaker for me.
I wonder also, since the long end is longer, what the aperture is at the equivalent of the S5's long end.... Maybe it's 4 or barely over which wouldn't be much worse
Old Oct 3, 2008, 9:02 PM   #17

I believe I saw the $249 price for the S5 on the OfficeMax Sunday ad a few weeks ago. I know I was stunned at the time.
hawks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2008, 11:33 AM   #18

hawks1 wrote:
Quote:
I believe I saw the $249 price for the S5 on the OfficeMax Sunday ad a few weeks ago. I know I was stunned at the time.
Man that is a great price. I can't find any around our neck of the woods at all lately.

I did get to play with an SX-10 this weekend, so that was fun to actually hold it and play around with it.l
Old Oct 10, 2008, 8:09 AM   #19

I just bought the SX10-is last night at Best Buy. I usually buy online buy I tracked down a 10% off coupon with made my final price 381.

I have not really had a chance to play around with it.

It is larger and heavier but it looks are more rounded.

The lens cap has changed. Seems to hold better. Problem though. No lens cap strap or a hole for one. What a weird thing to forget.

Video mode is now apples MOV format. I personally hate that, but many will love it I know. Quicktime is not my favorite piece of software. You will be happy to know that the Canon install disk has nothing to play mov files. So your stuck with apples quicktime that always bothers you about upgrading.

Here is a great thing I have noticed. First thingI tested. The flash recycle is super fast compared to the s5 and even the s3.

The camera using 4 aa batteries as usual. I mention that because many articles mentioned lithium packs. No true.

SD card has its own compartment again. Its not with the batteries. I like that.

I am hoping to test out the camera this weekend.

Scott

scottnj1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2008, 5:50 PM   #20

No strap for the lens cap? That is really strange.
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote