Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 31, 2008, 4:43 PM   #1

Has anyone heard when Canon might be rolling this one out? Just wondered with the price of the S5 IS dropping to $249. Also, what are the possible new features - hoping for 15x zoom, HD movie capability with MPEG 4 codec, ring on lense for manual focus, wider angle lense, etc.
hawks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2008, 5:00 PM   #2

It might be replaced by the SX1 IS; "SX1S ($449), a 10 megapixel 20x 28-560mm EVF with an articulated LCD and EX-compatible hotshoe." This info showed up briefly on line this past week, then vanished. Some folks got screen captures of the limited announcement, and this forum poster found it in the Google Cache;

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=29097205

No other information has been released, and some think it was an accidental release, but will show up for real in the near future.

Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2008, 12:52 AM   #3

Dennis-

That is really great news. Although, I was hoping that Canon would release a micro 4/3rds version that would realistically compete with the Panasonic G-1.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2008, 10:13 AM   #4

Sarah,

Current rumors suggest Canon will announce something tomorrow, Sep 17th., but time will tell. The rumor focus is on a probable G10, but perhaps the SX1 IS will also roll out???

Photokina starts next week, so folks are getting restless for new toys.

Dennis
Old Sep 16, 2008, 11:21 AM   #5

This was the same story yesterday: I read elsewhere that Sept 16th was the expected date for an announcement. I'm anxious for a new camera before a big trip and was about to buy the S5 when I realized they were being discontinued, thus now I'm waiting daily for an announcement.

I wonder how long it will be before we can buy them, once the announcement is made?
cerusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2008, 2:50 PM   #6

Canon announced the SX1 and SX10 models. The SX10 will be the USA model, while the SX1 is overseas, it appears. The SX1 uses a CMOS sensor, while the SX10 uses a CCD sensor. Lots of confusion over these issues right now.

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/d...rshot+sx10+sx1

Dennis
Old Sep 18, 2008, 6:26 AM   #7

Thanks. I saw that this morning. I'm not sure why they're offering the SX1 outside the US, but someone within Canon has a reason, however strange it is. I may have to make a phone call to a UK friend to pick one up for me. I'm not opposed to the SX10, but the SX1 has a faster continueous shutter speed, HD video settings and a wireless but it is also a power hog, using more battery power than the SC10.
cerusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2008, 10:30 AM   #8

The F 5.7 aperture at the end of the zoom is the deal breaker for me. And there is no indication as of today if the Digic 4 processor will allow the S-5's replacement, the SX-10 to overcome the serious ISO limitation of ISO 250 and below to maintain IQ that we are experiencing with the current S-5 model. Please don't get me wrong, the S-5 is a marvelous camera, but it does come with some serious limitations.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 19, 2008, 9:42 PM   #9

I have to agree with mtclimber... the lens on my S3 IS is f/2.7-f/3.5 and has a zoom range of 36mm to well over 400mm. f/5.7 at the long end for the SX1 and SX10 just doesn't work for me. Two other things want to make me bang my head against the wall: The SX1, which isn't coming to the U.S. (I'm assuming that rumor is correct) offers 4 fps burst speed - at full resolution. The SX10 offers something like 1.6 fps. Why? And, finally, both cameras still have 1/2.3 sensors. Again, why? There's just no reason for me to upgrade from the S3 IS. My DSLR is a Pentax K200D, which is great. But megazooms can still be very useful and fun in the right circumstances. Alas, it appears Canon is more interested in high-definition video in this category these days.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2008, 10:45 PM   #10

Video is NOT where I am at-

I sincerely believe that Canon has made a major/really bad decision. The Canon SX-1 (not available in the USA) and the Canon Sx-10 really will not cut it for me. F 5.7 at the long end of the zoom is not realistic, so Imust say, thanks Canon, but no thanks, I will not be purchasing you SX-series cameras.

Sarah Joyce