Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 7, 2008, 1:24 PM   #1

I recently noticed this problem with my camera. See the pictures below. If the screen is positioned in its indentation in the back of the camera the screen turns gray but if I open it a little bitit goes back to normal. This forces me to use the screen wide open to the side. Is the screen going bad? Is there any solution to this? Is this a known problem? This camera is nearly 3 years and 18,400 pictures old.

Sorry for the bad focus. This was taken with my webcam and it cannot focus that close. Yeap, that's me in there. :lol:

luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2008, 7:12 PM   #2

Sounds like the electronic communication link is not functioning in certain positions and will need repairs. The repair costs may exceed the replacement costs. You might want to investigate the Loyalty Program at Canon to upgrade. Here's a link I found related to that;

http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...readid=2214323

Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2008, 10:46 PM   #3

Not sure if that is such a good idea considering that what you get is a refurbished camera.

I have been looking at the SX100 IS but wonder why there is no review here. The only reason I have not got one to replace my seemingly ageing A610 is the lack of the vari-angle LCD screen which I have grown soooo accustomed with the A610 that I cannot live without it. I will probably have to go with another A series. Problem is that they are all 8 MP and up.I am not looking for big megapixels but big zoom instead. 5 MP is plenty for my needs.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 7:48 AM   #4

The current A series do not have the articulating LCD. The S5 IS has one, but appears to be in the process of being replaced by a new ultra-zoom SX1 IS; "10 megapixel 20x 28-560mm EVF with an articulated LCD and EX-compatible hotshoe" Not sure when it will be officially announced, and then released, but that is the current buzz.

The SX100 IS is also replaced by the new SX110 IS with 9MP. Nothing is being made with less MP anymore. A camera with only 5MP is ancient history. If that were all you wanted, then you would have to purchase used and/or refurbished cameras.

I don't know why the SX100 IS is not reviewed here, but it has been reviewed several other places. Here's the one from DPR; http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonsx100is/

Dennis
Old Sep 10, 2008, 12:29 PM   #5

The A630 and A650 do have the articulating LCD. It seems that this is one of the features of the A6x0 series.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 1:03 PM   #6

You are correct with those models, but the 630 and the 650 are being displayed as discontinued or very difficult to find from reputable dealers at the present time. The newest models of the A series, A1000 and A2000 do not have the articulating LCD.

The rumors I'm seeing on other forums suggest there will not be a new A6XX camera. Folks that wanted an A650 were scrambling to find them and buy them before they disappear. I just checked on Amazon, and there are three companies listing the A650 for over $430, which is what the G9 was selling for this summer. Now you are seeing supply and demand jack up the prices, because there is a very limited supply remaining. Even the G9 on Amazon is way in the $650 to $800 range, because it is about to be replaced, and is no longer being produced.

Perhaps you should get a new SX110 instead of the SX100, because the SX100 is now replaced, and it's price has skyrocketed too.

Dennis
Old Oct 1, 2008, 2:17 AM   #7

I would rather you go for the A630 if you want to replace the A610. They do sell some refurbished models out there. I have a refurbished A630and it works just like new. Refurbished models actually undergo quite extensive testing, more than new ones.

If you want alot of zoom the S5 is 8MP and has a pretty good amount of zoom, 10x.

I think the A720is is the best compromise between zoom and IQ, personally, but it doesn't have a flip screen. The A650IS has always been hard to find and is now being gouged up. It is 12mp which is way too many, and even on the larger sensor I see the IQ being worse on it versus the A630 or A640.

Unfortunately Canon is discontinuing all the good models, and in their place more "junk". I think the S5IS is your best bet for a replacement though because you said you wanted more zoom.Get them before they get gouged up too. Just my $0.02.
pineywoodsman is offline   Reply With Quote