Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 14, 2008, 5:44 PM   #11

I joined Vimeo but can't figure out how to download the original .mov files.
Can anyone help?
deekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2008, 5:54 PM   #12

This will take you to one I put up http://vimeo.com/1935785

To download that one you do have to be logged in, on that page look in the lower right hand corner for Download Quicktime version

You can go to the other videos I put up also. I would not download all of them... Had planned to perhaps get some exciting ones up...

Rich

Poncho_48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2008, 7:01 PM   #13

Thanks Rich, now I get it.
deekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2008, 5:44 PM   #14

The SX10 has a wide angle equivalent of 28mm, whereas the S5 has a wide angle of 35mm.

The 28mm wide angle will come in real handy.

I've seen video off the Canon S5 and it's stunning - better than my cheap mini dv camera.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2008, 9:15 AM   #15

Setter Dog wrote:
Quote:
For my trips to Yellowstone and shots around the house during holidays, the SX10 looks like a winner all the way.
Jack:

After more use, I like it more. the 28mm Equiv wide angle becomes more apparent almost every day. I shot some video last weekend with my camcorder (Panasonic PV-GS500). The SX10 gave me the needed wide angle which I had in close quarters. The much brighter and larger EVF of the SX10 continiues to also become more evident.

Rich
Old Oct 27, 2008, 9:17 AM   #16

chulee wrote:
Quote:
does vimeo compress the videos like youtube does ?
Vimeo compresses the video but not as badly as YouTube. There are several reasons I prefer Vimeo. Less compression and ability to download the original video (if the owner allows it) are the two main reasons for me.

Rich
Old Oct 27, 2008, 10:08 AM   #17

Rich,

Yes, the wide angle is amazing. It was not even a consideration when I bought the camera but it's become my favorite feature. I'll buy more cameras in the future but never one that doesn't have wide angle and some sort of viewfinder. I like everything about the video, sound, IS, autofocus, color, long zoom etc, are all top notch. The .mov flicks seem even better than the .avi from my other Canons.

I almost backed out when I read that the lens was slow at max zoom. I checked that out and found it to be true,..... but only in poor light. It's not a factor for me in practical use. I also like the arrangement of the buttons, the dedicated video button, the C mode, etc.

The only area that I find lacking is burst rate. It is somewhat limiting in shooting kids soccer games,.....but you can't have everything.

Jack

Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2008, 10:20 AM   #18

Jack,

The lens will be slow at 560mm - but that's understandable. You'd have to put a $1,000 lens on this camera to be otherwise.

If you want a good burst rate you have to buy an expensive DSLR. Even the cheap DSLR's don't have a good burst rate.

Not trying to run down your comment - just reinforcing that you got an excellent all-in-one cam for your money - but all cameras are a set of compromises unless you have deep pockets, can buy the very best, and own multiple cams.

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2008, 11:57 AM   #19

I agree, Terry.

These all in one cameras are amazing technology. None are perfect so it's best to do a little homework and then have no regrets.

That's what I did and I'm very happy with the SX10. I cannot imagine a better all around "car camera". I have a TX1 for a take anywhere in my pocket camera. Also a Canon A710, a fine camera for stills and videos of my quail hunting trips.

Jack
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2008, 9:17 AM   #20

Rich:

Thanks so much for those many mov clips you uploaded to Vimeo. I've been struggling for quite a while about buying the Panasonic Fz28 or the Canon SX10 IS. The Canon fulfils all my needs on the budget I can afford.

Awesome 44Khz uncompressed wav stereo sound quality, sound on the Fz28 is mono and a joke. You can even use it just as a sound recorder. Great video quality to replace my analog camcorder Sony TRV138, no more interlaced video capturing. AA batteries instead of proprietary. And a DC-IN connector where you can hook the AC power adapter at home or any small 12v battery regulated to 7.4v that you can carry along attached to your belt for endless video and pictures sessions. Hot shoe for external flash. The amazing 20x zoom. Vari-angle LCD.

Very easy to convert the videos to avi with Avidemux using Huffyuv uncompressed video codec and then editing with any video editor. Plenty of hard drive space required though.

Thanks again for all the clips.
Paul
elpols is offline   Reply With Quote