Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 9, 2008, 9:11 AM   #1

Last yearIhad purchased a Canon Powershot A570 IS to replace our aging Sony P52. Like most, we inherited the problems relating to the batteries and battery compartment door (falselow battery reading and batteries not lasting long). I have been using Energizer rechargeable 2650mAh NiCad batteries.

Outdoor pictures have always been great, it's weakness has been indoor still photos and pictures of our children.

Beyond factor settings, is there a better choice which would enhance photo shooting experiences? I'm digital camera challenged though I have used a 35mm Canon EOS Elan and Pentax ME Super for years (come to think of it, it never really played with settings on those either other). Anways, would truly appreciate your feedback. My wife's dissatisfaction with this camera may not be so much the camera as it is the settings. Anways, before she takes the Sony P52 of our retirement (which she feels is a better camera) I turn to you all for help. Obviously, beyond settings it may be a electronic problem in which case I may end up searching for a replacement.

Again, appreciate your feedback!

Regards,

Tom in Connecticut
RetiredNavy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 28, 2008, 9:23 PM   #2

It's difficult for me to understand which problem your having with which camera.

Do you want a "set and forget" camera, where you don't have learn anything beyond touching the on/off button?

The Powershot A570 is a pretty good point and shoot camera, for instance, not sure what problem you'd be having.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2008, 11:06 PM   #3

My wife has the A570IS. She uses Sanyo Eneloop rechargeable AA's. They have a long life and don't lose their charge between uses. Also, we've never noticed any of the battery problems others talk about.

She takes many indoor pics and we've found that, using aperture priority, setting the aperture at 2.8 and using an ISO of up to 400 will give very good results on indoor shots without having to use the flash, thus avoiding the slow flash recycle time that the A570IS is known for.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2008, 7:11 AM   #4

The 570 IS has ISO settings as high as 800 or 1600, and coupled with image stabilization should be a good low light cam indoors.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 11:14 AM   #5

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
The 570 IS has ISO settings as high as 800 or 1600, and coupled with image stabilization should be a good low light cam indoors.
Having a setting of 1600 and getting a usable photo at 1600 are two different things. I haven't seen a canon digicam yet that produces usable ISO 1600 images. As for IS - that's not a huge help with awake people - especially kids. People don't hold still for 1/15 second exposures. But EVERYTHIING depends upon the light levels in a given situation. Indoor shots taken in a home with ample windows and light flooding in is completely different situation than indoor photos taken at night with a single lamp on the end table.

In my house for instance at night with that single lamp on - no way would ISO 400, f2.8 cut it. But in my parent's house during daylight with plenty of windows on 3 walls there is ample light.

So, it's tough to give a single all-purpose answer.

Tom, what is it about the camera you and your wife don't like? Are you trying to use the flash and getting bad results with it? Or are you trying to NOT use the flash and getting poor results? It would be easier to provide advice if you could share one of the photos you're unhappy with.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2008, 11:50 AM   #6

Here's a page with some ISO 1SO 1600 examples. It's not so bad..

http://www.letsgodigital.org/html/re...on_a570is.html

Most people that use these cameras probably don't know how to set the ISO - they rely on scene modes.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 11:56 AM   #7

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
Here's a page with some ISO 1SO 1600 examples. It's not so bad..

http://www.letsgodigital.org/html/re...on_a570is.html

Most people that use these cameras probably don't know how to set the ISO - they rely on scene modes.
Terry - first, you're right the images there don't look too bad. BUT there's a huge difference between the subject there and human faces (the subject for the OP). I'd be more interested in indoor shots of people from the camera.

As to people not knowing how to change ISO - if you don't know how, iso 1600 is irrelevant as I believe auto-ISO won't go up that high. But I could be mistaken - they could have changed that in the recent models.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2008, 11:59 AM   #8

Yah, I don't know how to override the ISO on that model.

When you look at those photos in the link at 4 x 6 size, they look pretty good.

you'd probably only notice the bad stuff, in terms of portraits, at 8 x 10.

Few people are printing photos these days anyways, I haven't printed a photo in about a year - lol!

Lots of emailing of photos and posting on websites though.