Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 15, 2008, 12:41 PM   #1

Hi, I have a Canon S5 IS and I am looking for a good flash. I have been studying up a little on the Canon 220 EX, 420 EX, and 430 EX speedlites, and I was wondering if I could get a little help deciding which one I need to purchase for my specific camera. I take pictures of my 2 y/o in the house with the lights on, but with my flash on the camera, get a lot of red eye. He has blue eyes and is very prone to red eye and that drives me crazy. I bought this camera in hopes of taking good quality pictures and hopefully be able to reduce red eye. I can take out the red eye that shows up on the camera but I don't want to have to fool with that. I had rather reduce it from the getgo with taking the photo. That is why I am looking for an external flash to take some distance away from the flash and the picture (someone mentioned this a while back). I have read that a 220 EX would help a lot. And I also read that the 430 would not really help my camera any, because the S5 did not support the extra settings available on the 430 anyway, so it would be a waste of money. I would be able to get the 220 EX on amazon for about 120 without paying shipping, and I will have to look for the 420 on ebay as they apparently no longer sell this flash (quit making it or something because of the 430), so I would like some advice on what to do please? Is the 220 gonna help me just fine or do I need to go with something else. Thanks for any help.

I have been on here before trying to decide what camera to buy, and went with the S5, thanks to everyone's help. I still am looking in the future to moving to the DSLR cameras. Just afraid of them now, because I know nothing about them and have no extra time to take classes or read up on them to learn how to use them effectively.
jessicawc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 16, 2008, 6:03 AM   #2
Administrator

I would consider the better 430EX since it would give you the ability to bounce the flash for more diffused lighting.

On the other hand, it's a larger flash. So, I'd take a look at them in a store to get a better idea of the differences and make sure you're comfortable with one on a camera as small as your S5 IS.

From user reviews of the 220 EX, it does seem to do a pretty good job at helping to reduce redeye, which is a bit surprising, since it doesn't appear to get the flash very high above the camera (the further way the flash is from the camera's lens, the less likely you're going to have a redeye problem). So, it should help your shots. On the downside, you wouldn't be able to have a more evenly lit room with that type of flash, since there's no way to bounce it.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2008, 9:16 AM   #3

I agree with Jim. I'd even consider getting a third party flash that's builtlike the 430 ex than get a 220 ex, especially since the 220 exisn't much higher than the built in flash and you can't bounce it. The 220 ex would be a big improvement over the point and shoot models with the built in flash located in the camera body, but might not be that much better than the cameras withpop up style flash units.
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2008, 8:04 AM   #4

Thanks so much guys. I guess I will probably just cough up the money and go with the 430 EX. I was just afraid that it would useless to get that one because I heard that my camers would not support the extra functions and buttons available on the 430 flash anyway. I would really rather have a 420 EX because it does not have settings to fool with, as I don't really know anything about setting it anyway, but this flash must have been discontinued. But it did swivel and everything. Is the 430 EX really that much better than the 420?

jessicawc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2008, 8:32 AM   #5

The two flash units are similar. The newer unit is eTTL II and has some features that the 420 doesn't. If money is a consideration, consider getting a third party unit that will have many of the 420 features for less money.
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote