Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 14, 2008, 11:34 AM   #11

This camera has motion detection for an iso boost, why dont you go shutter priority and try around 125, one-2stops higher and lower and set the auto iso motion detection setting, then with the is lense, fixed shutter speed the iso should boost to 400-800 even to get the sharp well exposed shot, then use nr to clean up later. the shots from the sx10 i've seen are super sharp and are night and day cleaner to iso400 over the s5, in fact is possibly the ultimate long range shooter upto iso 800., so use it to your advantage and the motion detection too.
Adventsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2008, 11:50 AM   #12

Adventsam wrote:
Quote:
This camera has motion detection for an iso boost, why dont you go shutter priority and try around 125,
1/125 is way too low. No reason to accept that slow a shutter speed. And again, this is the problem with shutter priority. I would argue 1/1000 isn't too slow for soccer. So if you can get that shutter speed, go for it. That's the reason most sports shooters use manual or aperture priority.

Turn on the moion detect as indicated.

Set ISO to whatever you feel comfortable using on the camera - start with ISO 200.

Set aperture priority and set aperture to widest setting.

Take some test shots. If shutter speeds aren't > 1/640 then up the ISO. Stop increasing the ISO when you get to a level of ISO that you'repersonally unwilling to go beyond because of poor noise performance.

Limiting yourself to a slow shutter speed will ruin most of your shots. Get as much shutter speed as you can with the max aperture and highest ISO you're willing to accept. And yes, 1/1000 will get you better results than 1/640. But you don't want to dial in 1/1000 in shutter priority because the camera might not be able to achieve that value and you end up with under-exposed shots.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2008, 12:06 PM   #13

JohnG,

Thanks again for all the good suggestions. Nice to have you on this forum. You add a lot to the discussion.

Jack
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2008, 12:19 PM   #14

Glad to help Jack. Lots about photography I don't know :lol:but sports is my general area of expertise. I am by far NOT the best sports photographer out there but I am experienced (probably over 100,000 sports images across soccer, football, baseball, softball, volleyball, basketball, gymnastics, MMA, wrestling, swimming). And I would say I'm a competant semi-pro sports shooter. Each sport has it's nuances and challenges. And while you can extrapolate some times (i.e. baseball vs. softball) each sport has it's own unique challenges.

You'll also find the advice I give isn't strange or bizarre. It's fairly consistent with advice from other semi-pro or pro shooters.

It's a passion for me but I know from experience how difficult it really is. And also how difficult it is to get advice from established sports shooters (typically a very scared crowd - scared of people getting better as sports photographers and taking away their livelihood)..

In the end, you're limited to a large extent by the equipment you have but there's still a LOT you can do to maximize your use of that gear. Before you know it, you'll be getting shots like this:

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2008, 12:30 PM   #15

Wow!
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote