Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 8, 2008, 2:26 PM   #1

Hi all,

I wanted to confirm what is the video resolution of the Powershot A650. The conclusion of Steve's A650 review says 1024 x 480 at 15fps. But specs and a manual I downloaded says only 640 x 480.

"...Movie mode produced above average results for a consumer model. You can choose a resolution of 1024x480 (15fps) or 640x480/320x240 (30 fps) in Standard mode. The length of a clip is limited to 4GB or 60 minutes. Other movie modes are also available, like Compact (160x120, 15 fps) for emails or posting movies on the web when file sizes need to be small, and Color Accent and Color Swap for more creative recording. If you plan on shooting a lot of movies at 640x480 (30fps), be sure to get a spacious SD memory card; about 1.8 MB of memory is consumed per second of recording. We also found that the 1024x480 mode is a bit choppy, due to its slower frame rate..."

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_..._a650_pg5.html

best,
stonedfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2008, 8:02 AM   #2
Administrator

From what I can see of the menus and specs, the conclusion should have read 640x480 versus 1024x480.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2008, 4:59 AM   #3

Thanks!

If anyone has the cam please confirm. I would be basing a purchase decision on this ability to take high res video if it were true. The camera is perfect for my still photo needs and is really a deal clincher if it has the hi res video even at 15fps. I very much want to have an ability to take good stills and hi res video with one camera.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 8:51 AM   #4

I'm pretty sure this is a mistake, one that I thought was corrected some time ago.

I sent an email out, and am awaiting a response from the reviewer. From everything I have seen on the web, it features a max resolution of 640x480 in movie mode (30fps).

I will say that during the time we reviewed the A650 IS (great camera BTW), I do remember some Canon modes featuring a "High Resolution" movie mode, that was 1024 at 15fps. However, I can not say if the A650 IS was one of them, as I only got to play with the camera briefly.

I will post what I find asap!

Hopefully someone who owns this camera can chime in.

-Billy
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2008, 11:33 AM   #5

That's too bad. Would you know which Canon has this hi res video capability? Thanks for your valuable input.

I am now looking at Lumix models with the wide format video such as fz28, fz18 and fz50. I would love to put a Canon back in the mix but only the SX1 which is yet to be released is in contention.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 11:51 AM   #6

The Powershot TX1 is the first one that comes to mind.

I believe the other was one of the Digital ELPH models.

Have you looked at the SX10 IS?

As for the FZ28, we are finishing that one up as I type, and it's a very nice super-zoom, which also has a HD (1280x720, 30fps) size movie mode.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 1:41 PM   #7

thanks!

The SX10 is perfect if it had at least WVGA video. The Canon TX1 is ok for video but not good enough in the stills department for me.

I actually wish Canon can upgrade the A650 with HD or WVGA video. It is the best package for me with built in optical viewfinder, 6x zoom, PASM control and available scuba housing.

The superzooms with HD video are very hard to find housings for and only the TZ50 has all I need in features but has a poor sensor and the housing is outlandishly expensive.

I will be using the cam for outdoor stills/video in a river environment. A versatile zoom range, better than vga video, and absolute water proofing is a necessity.

If they release a housing for the FZ28 I think my search would be over. The TZ5 is also a possibility, it has HD video and I have confirmed an UW housing available for it but have to compromise with lack of PASM and viewfinder. Oh such compromises.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 2:04 PM   #8

I kind of figured the TX1 wouldn't fit your needs.

Good luck with your search. If for some odd reason we find that the SX10 IS does offer a "wide" format movie function, I'll be sure to look you up.

Take care!

-Billy
Old Nov 10, 2008, 3:11 PM   #9

I think I have found the right compromises in the Canon G7 and G9, HD video albeit at only 15fps, but it has the 6x zoom, PASM and UW housing. The RAW feature on the G9 is desirable as well. I am looking for sample videos now and if they are satisfactory I will hit the shops to look for old stocks tomorrow.

Thanks for all the advise, I really appreciate it.

Regards.