Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 12, 2008, 2:02 PM   #1

I have a old Canon S230 that has been functioning just fine for a long, long time. I was on a trip in Montana, camera was in pick-up cab, butbehind the seat in the extended cabaway from any heat source, well padded so the dog would not jump on it etc. I got it out the next day to take some photos of our activities and to my surprise the LCD Monitor was black; all I could see was the data telling me what I was shooting in etc. Well, I went ahead and took some photos to see if the flash cards would record images. Noting was visible in the LCD nor was anything recorded on the flash card except BLACK emptiness when I tried to download pictures to the computer.

Is there something I did to cause this or did the camera turn south all on it's own?
Sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2008, 2:48 PM   #2
Administrator

Welcome to the forums.

Your description sounds like you have a CCD failure (or a problem with a supporting component). In other words, the signal from the camera's main sensor is not getting through the pipeline to your LCD.

Canon has published a service notice that includes your S230 model for CCD failures, due to a design defect in the Sony CCD Sensors being used in a number of cameras like yours (many cameras like yours from a variety of manufacturers are using Sony sensors). So, you may be able to get it fixed for free (even though it's out of warranty).

See this Service Advisory about the CCD problems here:

Canon Service Notice on CCD issues

Here's the important part (and in your case, there is an absence of the image from the CCD)

Quote:
Malfunction:

It has been confirmed that the connecting parts of the internal wiring of the CCD used in affected products may become disconnected, especially if the affected products are stored or used in high-temperature and high-humidity environments. If this occurs, the signal is not output from the CCD normally in Shooting Mode, which may cause a distorted image or the absence of an image. This malfunction can be confirmed on the LCD monitor screen during shooting. The same malfunction also appears on the recorded image.

Canon's Response:

Effective immediately, and regardless of warranty status, Canon will repair, free of charge, the products listed above exhibiting the above-mentioned malfunction if Canon determines that the malfunction is caused by the CCD image sensor. Canon will also cover the cost of shipping and handling in connection with this repair.

U.S. residents are kindly directed to contact the Canon Customer Support Center for further assistance at 1-800-828-4040. Support hours are Monday thru Friday - 8:00 AM to 12:00 midnight; and Saturday 10:00 AM to 8:00 PM (all times EST). Alternatively, if electronic support is preferred, please send your email to [email protected]

This information is for residents of the United States of America and Puerto Rico only. If you do not reside in the USA or Puerto Rico, please contact the Canon Customer Support Center in your region.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused by this issue, and appreciate your understanding in this matter. Thank you for your support and patronage of Canon products.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2008, 6:02 PM   #3

Thank you Jim. E-mail sent to Canon just a few seconds ago.

Sisu
Sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2008, 6:20 PM   #4
Administrator

Please let us know how it works out. For example, they may not have any more CCDs available for a model as old as yours now (since technology changes pretty fast) and/or labor costs may be prohibitive compared to making other arrangements (i.e., a replacement model of some type instead).

I'd be curious to know if they're still able to fix a model like your S230 now.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2008, 5:38 PM   #5

They fixed my S1IS, no replacement, just fixed it
jimb823 is offline   Reply With Quote