Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 13, 2008, 12:08 PM   #1

Does anyone know for certain whether the SX1 is (not the SX10 is) allows the use of that superb 20x zoom when shooting movies? The Canon UK site doesn't mention it, but then it doesn't mention it for the SX10 is page either, and I know it's available on that model.

I read on a forum somewhere (which I can no longer find) that zoom wasn't available, but whether that was/is pure conjecture, I've no idea. But I want to know before stumping up my £400.

I am aware that the SX1 isn't officially available in the States, so apologies to those on the warm side of the Atlantic.

In anticipation of an informed and reliable response, cheers!

Carlos
CarlosFlowerday is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2008, 12:04 PM   #2

This camera promises to set the std for all hybrid cameras and is apparently as good at video as it is at stills, neither are confirmed becasue apart from a few stills exampes from canon themsleves there is very little to judge.

What is special, especially from a video perspective is the 20x optical, plus it apparently has digital options too to further boost its range. More importantly the lense is IS, and if the SX10 is anything to go by is very stable.

Plus its 1080p at one of the highest sampling bit-rates ever seen, greater than the 5dmk2.Also it starts at an amzing 28mm, has a hood and allows af lock and ae lock in video mode and a stereo setting with wind-cut and fine tuning. To cap it all its got a wireless remote, so in theory mounted on a tripod or monopd you could zoom in sliene without touching the thing, in short its amazing, then if thats not enough, swithc to stills and shoot 10mpix stills at 4fps.

All in all awesome from a video and stills specification perspective, but will it be any good, dont know, am sick of waiting for it:?
Adventsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2008, 12:23 PM   #3

more info here,

http://www.canon-europe.com/press_ce...ss_Release.asp

Can you imagine, 58-1200mm video camera, think you'll need a tripod for that range, no loss in hd quality apparently:?
Old Nov 17, 2008, 11:01 AM   #4

agree with Carlos..we have same curiousness for SX1.
i've read many press release and spec review so far, but unfortunately havn't got any full review in hand directly by expert or user..since SX1 will be released in Nov/Dec.

i once read that the zoom will not be able in movie rec.
same to the Tele Converter that mentioned the SX1 couldn't receive any converter as SX10 which both have an identical body.
also had another bad comment in CMOS image noise and heavyweight.
i don't know, but i would be glad if i'm wrong in reading those reviews..and will make this camera most powerful and perfect in prosumer market.
pls someone enlighten and make this issue cleared.

another cams to concern :
Panasonic FZ28 (lightweight)
Casio Pro EX-F1 (have best fps so far, and a manual zoom ring !!)

kuruyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2008, 8:56 PM   #5

Now, let's look, SX1 should be deliverable ...

DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2008, 12:34 PM   #6

Hey all. I think I've managed to find an answer to my own question, but thought I'd post it up here for all to see. Certainly in the Uk the SX1 is creating a lot of interest - I for one can cope with a bit of extra bulk if the CMOS sensor outperforms that on the S5 I used to own, and has the advantage of a wide-angle lens and that fast-ish 4fps rate.

Anyway, the info I found is here: http://crave.cnet.co.uk/digitalcamer...9298997,00.htm, and as that includes the phrase "Sound is in CD-quality stereo, with optical zooming and face detection while filming", you may now officially count me excited.

Best price I've spotted for prospective UK buyers is - bizarrely - at the BT shop, at £394. Hardly a bargain, but still a good bit under Canon's official RRP.

Cheers to those who posted!

Carlos
CarlosFlowerday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2008, 6:34 AM   #7

Be with us in a weeks time, then we can ll find out how this new cmos sensor will be!
Old Dec 2, 2008, 7:14 PM   #8
dai

From my experience, dont believe the specs. higher specs does not mean better video. From my research, the bottom like is, when you are concerned about taking movies from a camera, the camera with the better still photo results will give u the better video results, regardless of specs.
dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2008, 11:19 AM   #9

of course optical zoom is available http://www.vimeo.com/2422404

manual focus http://www.vimeo.com/2464906

now SX1 is availbale in UK ... 10x sold in half a day :-)

http://www.digital-cameras.com/produ...ProductID=1031

DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2008, 1:24 PM   #10

will the SX1 be selling in North America at any time?
Mysterious is offline   Reply With Quote