Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 16, 2008, 12:41 PM   #1

[suP]

I purchased two SD850 cameras, one failed within the warranty period. According to Canon the failure was allegedly due to water damage. The failed camera had never been exposed to water or high humidity. A search of the web indicates that Canon consistently refuses to honor camera warranty claims, citing water damage as the reason. As such, I will never purchase another Canon product again.

Below are some examples from other people who experienced the same problem with Canon.]

[/suP]][suP]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830120208][/suP]

[suP]
Cons:First Canon SD850 got a fatal error message the second time I used it. Newegg replaced. After using the replaced camera on the second time, once again, it would not turn on. Contacted and mailed to Canon. They inspected and said it had water damage and was not repairable. It never left the house and no water came into contact with the camera.

Other Thoughts:
After calling numerous Canon people, who refused to do anything about their warranty and were quite rude, I contacted Newegg. They accepted the camera back and gave me a refund. Canon may have good cameras but have ZERO warranty and are run by extremely rude individuals who care nothing about the average consumers.

[/suP]][suP]http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B000Q30420/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_1?%5Fencoding=UTF8&showViewp oints=0&filterBy=addOneStar][/suP]

[suP]

I purchased the Canon SD850 IS 6 months ago and have used it regularly. It suddenly stopped working - the lens would not retract. I sent it to Canon for service under their one year warranty. They decided that it would not be "economically feasible" to repair the camera and have sent it back to me still broken. Canon "customer care" says that the technicians found "water damage" even though the camera was never around water and worked fine up until the moment it stopped. Clearly, if they don't want to repair something a customer sends back they can just say "water damage" and they are off the hook. No recourse for me, no appeal process, nothing for me to do but warn others. It was a nice little camera, but if it is only going to last 6 months,forget about it.

[/suP][suP]How many of us Canon "Water Damage" victims are there, I wonder? [/suP]

[suP]Like another reviewer, I purchased the Canon SD850 IS several months ago and have used it regularly. It suddenly stopped working - the lens would not retract. I sent it to Canon for service under their one year warranty. They decided that it would not be "economically feasible" (exact words) to repair the camera and have sent it back to me still broken. Canon "customer care" says that the technicians found "water damage" even though the camera was never around water and worked fine up until the moment it stopped. They even suggested I might have spilled something into it (no way) or perhaps the water damage was caused by going from an air-conditioned environment into a warm humid environment. Ridiculous! Don't most people vacation in warm places? If a camera stops working because it is in warm and humid environment, the label on the camera should clearly state - stay away from nice places!

So it seems that if Canon decides they don't want to repair a camera under warranty, they can just claim "water damage" and they are off the hook. No recourse for the customer, no appeal process.

If you are looking for a $300.00 disposable camera, this is it!
[/suP]
[suP]

The company could'nt care less and provides possibly the worst customer service I have ever dealt with. They essentially laughed at me when I called to complain. They did provide a few suggestions, none of which produced any better results.

By
[/suP][suP]asunrisesedan[/suP][suP]Dec 28, 2007 | 0 out of 7 found this Canon PowerShot SD850 IS Digital ELPH review helpful

Pros: great features

Cons: does not last

If you are planning a trip to any place where their is humidity or any wet conditions the camera has corrosion issues and it not covered by factory warranty . Am not talking about dropping in water or any extreme wet conditions . The seals ( if there ...are any ) I feel the camera was designed to self destruct and plan on reporting to every agency i can. If any one else has been burned by these people please respond and a class action suit could be started. [/suP]

[suP]http://www.consumeraffairs.com/cameras/canon.html[/suP]

[suP]We returned the camera to Canon for warranty repair - the warranty stated that it would be repaired or replaced. They returned it not repaired, stating that it has sustained liquid damage and that it was not economical to repair, stating that it has sustained liquid damage and that it was not economical to repair
[/suP]
joe14580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2008, 1:21 PM   #2
Administrator

Canon sells millions of cameras, and users that have issues tend to be the one that make the most posts about any kind of problem.

Looking at some of those links like the one you posted from Newegg.com, it looks like the SD850 IS was a 2x Winner of their Customer Choice award for Digital Cameras, with the vast majority of users recommending it as Excellent (with less than 4% giving it a very poor rating).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16830120208

Overall, Canon has a pretty good reputation for their warranty work. You'll see a number of praises about their service around forums, too.

It's too bad you had some issues, and if I were in your shoes, perhaps I'd feel that way, too. But, manufacturers tend to take into consideration what they find to be the issue with a camera, since many users will try to get a camera they damaged repaired under warranty, and that costs them money.

Even if the issue was being caused by humidity and condensation, consumer model cameras are not well protected against moisture, unless you buy a model designed to be water resistant.

Now, I have seen some recalls on cameras with problems in high humidity environments. For example, many camera models from Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax and others were recalled a while back for a defective Sony CCD design that tended to manifest itself in high humidity environments (many cameras from a variety of manufacturers are using Sony Sensors).

After seeing a number of problems like that, it's possible they will consider a model to have a manufacturing defect at some point. I'm sure they're tracking the number of returns that get on a given camera model (and if it's a very tiny percentage with a given problem, it's probably not going to be considered to be a manufacturing defect).

But, if they're saying they saw evidence of water damage, that's probably not going to fall into that kind of category.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2008, 3:28 PM   #3

It sounds to me like the OP has a legitimate complaint against Canon. I don't see what the high satisfaction rate for his camera has to do with his complaint about the failure to honor a warranty.

I have many Canon products, four or five cameras, a couple sets of binoculars and maybe something else I've forgotten. I obviously like the cameras and consider them a good value and reliable or I would not have bought them. I have never had occasion to use their warranty service, however.

I had a problem with a Sony laptop that was under warranty. Sony gave me a huge hassle, claiming I had a software problem etc. I won't go into details but simply state that I will NEVER buy another Sony product. That won't change their bottom line but it sure makes me feel better.

Jack
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2008, 7:34 PM   #4

Setter Dog wrote:
Quote:
It sounds to me like the OP has a legitimate complaint against Canon. I don't see what the high satisfaction rate for his camera has to do with his complaint about the failure to honor a warranty.

I have many Canon products, four or five cameras, a couple sets of binoculars and maybe something else I've forgotten. I obviously like the cameras and consider them a good value and reliable or I would not have bought them. I have never had occasion to use their warranty service, however.

I had a problem with a Sony laptop that was under warranty. Sony gave me a huge hassle, claiming I had a software problem etc. I won't go into details but simply state that I will NEVER buy another Sony product. That won't change their bottom line but it sure makes me feel better.

Jack
Quote:
JimC,
Quote:
I fully realize that Canon has a high satisfaction rate for their products, obviously I looked into that before purchasing two digital cameras.
Quote:
Jack, thanks for your supporting words, that's the point I was trying to make. Our experience with Canon sounds very much like your experience with Sony, it's one of those situations where you "had to be there" and experience the horrible treatment that we received from Canon. Both my wife and I are electrical engineers, and in her career she has worked in a quality engineering capacity, so we know a thing or two about products such as these and we know what conditions these cameras have been subjected to. There is no doubt that this camera arrived to us with this "condition". I don't know if these cameras are shipped over here on a ship and may be subject to high humidity conditions,or if the cameras were subjected to high humiditywhen shipped from Canon to their distributors etc. What I do know is that you'll be hard-pressed to get Canon to honor their warranty, from my experience. Accordingly, as stated, I will never buy another Canon product as long as I live. And no, I'm not one of those impossible to satisfy disgruntled customers but I doknow they exist. Anyway, thanks for listening.
Quote:
Old Dec 18, 2008, 2:15 PM   #5

I am another victim of the water damage scam! I am not so proud to say...I purchased a Canon 40D in September. It was giving me error messages all of the time from the start and finally 3 weeks after purchase the shutter closed and would not open again. I took it back to the shop. They swiftly directed me to Canon service which did nothing but reboot the camera. That was good enough for a few photos in the facility. When I got it home, it just did the same thing again. Finally I took it to a Canon approved service facility and to my shock they found the camera to be rusted inside and everything was ruined. I barely had a chance to use the camera, how on earth can Canon be so glib and intimate that I put water in the camera Of course Canon refuses to exchange the camera or refund any sort of financial compensation for having bought a camera that was damaged. I finally got them to replace the parts at their cost which seemed a bit extreme for a camera that is last years model and has severe water damage. I am not sure what will happen in the future. What I would like to know is how are we as consumers protected against an item that might have been previously used and returned or was stored improperly or damaged on transit? The shop guy says, It was a new camera. But if it is water damage everyone says sorry. So I am out of luck. This is unbelievable because these things are not cheap.
jan2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2009, 6:37 AM   #6

jan2a wrote:
Quote:
I barely had a chance to use the camera, how on earth can Canon be so glib and intimate that I put water in the camera Of course Canon refuses to exchange the camera or refund any sort of financial compensation for having bought a camera that was damaged.
Jan2a,

Sorry you too got taken in by the Canon warranty scam. They have a serious problem somewhere in their supply chain wherein some cameras are getting severely water damaged and they,as you put it, glibly refuse to acknowledge it. Their arrogance and horrible attitude as I see you experience is absolutely infuriating.

By way of contrast to another large company.Last yearIpurchased anoven from GE. The front control panel became inoperative, the oven was out of warranty. GE gladly shipped a new one, a $120 part, for free. They did so because I had explained that the part was operatingerattically for a couple months prior to its failure, they took me at my word and replace the part for free. That is the kind of company I wish to do business with.

That is a considerable contrast with the way Canon treats its customers. You could tell thatGE genuinely cared about the failure of the part and the customer's perception of GE as a result. The exact opposite exists with Canon. As I wrote above, I had purchased two cameras fromCanon a couple of months apartwhen one of them failed due to thewater damage scam. The total price of the two Canon cameras equaled the cost of my GE oven, but Canon treated me like dogmeat.

As stated above, I will never, EVER purchase another Canon product again in my life. For Xmas 2008, we purchased a brand-new high-end color printer. Before my experience with Canon they were in the lead, but I ended up purchasinga Kodak printer and I'm thoroughly delighted with the product and the company.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 7:13 PM   #7

I got burned on this too with an SD850. Canon Stinks.

The camera worked well for a while but about 9 months after purchase it stopped working. It was my best $200 disposable camera ever!
I seem to have gotten the same run around as some other reviewers, "Warranty repair cannot be honored as the malfunction is due to water damage".

This camera was not directly exposed to water in any way shape or form. Upon return of the camera I cracked the case open myself, to see the alleged water damage. I cannot see the massive corrosion they allege. document.write('[img]/forums/images/emoticons/confused-smiley-017.gif[/img]');[img]images/emoticons/confused-smiley-017.gif[/img]
This whole thing seems like a cop out to me, perhaps due to a bad design. Maybe this machine is vulnerable to condensation, but if the warranty was worth a hill of beans problems due to a bad design would be covered with apologies.
I will attempt to work with Canon more on this but I get the impression I will be scoping out this site soon for new camera brands.
Bottom line is the warranty from Canon is not worth much, if you must buy a Canon factor in the price of a separate in store warranty.

Shame on Canon customer service.

fborchert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2009, 5:24 PM   #8

Good luck on working further with Canon. You've got to try but you'll soon discover you're wasting your time. I'd sooner use a Brownie camera then ever use another Canon product again.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 9:15 AM   #9

It is worth a try because the service center that I had to work with finally gave in and promised me a new camera body. I donĀ“t have it yet but I do have a written promise. I am not sure about this water damage. I think sometimes they use it as an excuse to do nothing and sometimes it is real. The problem is when it is real and you just bought the camera you are completely unprotected as a consumer. Canon gave me a list of reasons for the water damage including that I live where it rains a lot. None of the reasons had anything to do with them (it could be just a bad manufacture and it will never get better with new parts) or the shops that are authorized dealers. One guy from Canon did write to me that most places within a certain timeframe (7 days probably) will replace a damaged item like that. Another thing someone told me was to check how many total photos have been taken with the camera and make them check the serial number for previous purchase. They can tell you anything of course but if the photo numbers are way higher than expected someone else has been using it. I also think they treat you this way because they know the next new thing is coming out. I like Canon products but it is a toss up for me whether I purchase something again.
jan2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2009, 1:12 PM   #10

Default My 770IS was water damaged? No it wasn't!

I cannot wait to get see the pictures that Canon claims they will send (along with the unit) in 3-4 days.
My story: Our new 770IS was a "to get new features" replacement of our SD400 that had gone through 20k pictures and 4 years of hard use.
We KNOW we treat cameras well, but beyond a track record of good use, we simply know that there was no way our 770IS got exposed to any liquid..it was in a case its whole short life and on a dry desk or in its drawer.

I really have no recourse but to trash Canon on the grounds of:
1. poor product quality. For example, they may not have adequately made the unit for normal use (i.e., use in an environment with ANY humidity) or perhaps an internal seal had failed.
2. outright fraud

I am considering submitting my story on this to Consumerist. Because it is a quality site with a lot of reviewers, it might be helpful to get some actual verification of fraud from some of these other stories. I would hate to submit anything that is not quality or that leaves huge room for ambiguity or for the "consumer to be wrong"--and my one data point (as sure as I am of it) might not be convincing to a large audience.

PM me if you have a desire to have your story used as evidence!
neilberg is offline   Reply With Quote