Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 24, 2008, 5:24 AM   #1

I'm in the UK and want to get a Canon TX-1. I can't find any domestic dealers who import them - has anyone had any luck buying one from overseas? They're fairly scarce on eBay these days.

Cheers,
Matt
watkins68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2008, 8:39 AM   #2

Why do you want it, primarily stills or video? just recently sold mine on e-bay, mint, as new hardly used, went for £120.00

Personally, I dont reccomend it, hence the question? 'll answer you a few more when you let me know your prime use. As you probably realise though, its form factor and zoom are currently better than anything else!, but sadly canon has discontinued and moved to new designs, there wont be a tx2 unfortunately.
Adventsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2008, 9:50 AM   #3

i had an xacti C6, liked the shape and portability, liked the look of the still photos and the video was good enough for me.

however it was lost last year and so i bought an xacti CG9 - terrible still photos, absolutely shocking compared to the C6. i've checked samples online just to confirm that i didn't have a duff example. when zoomed in the details are furry, looks like the camera is applying a photoshop paint effect filter. seems to be the same for stills on all the current xacti models, surprised it isn't mentioned more often to be honest

so no more xacti's for me. the tx-1 fits the bill in the form and portability departments, the still shots i've found online (not just canon's) look much more accurately detailed, and again the video is good enough for me (holiday/kids clips).

my one worry was the awkward handling mentioned in several reviews, but i don't mind shooting two handed and i noticed that a few reviewers who had it for more than a weekend said they got used to the handling as time went on. portability has to create some compromises, i think i could live with it.

what were your reasons for selling? and do you have another?
watkins68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2008, 11:12 AM   #4

I too started with a Sanyo C4 hybrid, still have it and love it, the 4mp stills were and still are very good for what they are. All in all I love the hybrid thing but unfortunately it hasnt really moved beyond those early sanyo c cameras. So you now have the new hd range as you probably know and thats about it. So far I've had a sanyo HD1(BROKE!) and HD2, still have it and like it, but Sanyo needed to add the is lense which makes using the hd2 a pain, the digital is stabilisation is poor and adds a funny effect when on. So then comes the TX1, great I thought like you but, still quality aside(they are very good in good light) the movie is a nightmare, in very good light ie sunny weather its prone to vertical smearing, which is and isnt noticeable depending what your looking for, I dont know if mine was a bad model but it seemed to suffer from vertical streaks in any bright consitions, in the end I went back to the hd2(now also discontinued) and put up with camera wobble. Also the tx1 uses motion jpeg and in video mode they are huge, thats not so bad but if the quality is poor it kind of puts you off compressing them because you know the finished article is not worth it. Overall I think the TX1 dissapoints and would recommend you to look elsewhere. Does it need to be portable, the Pana Tz5 myabe is a good choice too? certainly do most of what the tx1 does!
Adventsam is offline   Reply With Quote