Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 24, 2009, 1:57 PM   #11

Most pictures I print are 4x6. No compact has 20X optical zoom which is one of the features I want. Look... not everybody gets a camera to print poster size prints. I also create slides shows to be seen in the computer where pictures are reduced to a more manageable size that will allow the slidw show to fit on a CD. This camera has all the features I want and the purple fringing I saw in those pictures is not enough for me to make me go to another camera. It is a matter of personal opinion and taste. If you don't like it fine, it's your choice, I made mine.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2009, 5:18 PM   #12

Walter_S wrote:
Quote:
I do not understand that people can accept this
I Purchased the SX10 in October 2008. I have been happy with the camera. It suits me well.

Rich
Poncho_48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2009, 2:30 PM   #13

I too have purchased an SX10. In fact I've ordered & recd FIVE of them since October, all for friends & family. I think they are wondering if I'm just using them as guinea pigs, but it mostly I'm not quite ready to decide on a new cam for myself yet. But, I digress... I also had the same question as the original post that started this thread. When would Steve's be doing a review of the SX10, and also why haven't they yet? They are usually so good at getting reviews out early and often and on seemingly every dang camera that exists. I was just wondering WHY NOT the SX10?? I just beamed an email to the editor at Steve's, asking this same question. I will be very curious to hear if there is some special reason they haven't reviewed that model yet.

Finally, maybe somewhat off-topic, but still about the SX10. Has anyone had any issues with picture quality with their SX10? With elements such as sharpness, graininess & ISO settings. Several of the people I helped get their SX10's are really struggling with these issues. Two of them are finding that they are getting poorer results from this 10MP camera than they did with a 3MP Olympus & a 5MP Canon. That doesn't seem right, but when they've showed me their originals, I have to agree, most shots are really disappointing in comparison to results from their older cameras. I've helped these friends get prints as large as 16x20 from those older cameras, and the results were just plain amazing. Now, when they try even for 8x10's, the results are sorely lacking, and poor in comparison. I feel kinda responsible because I'm one of the people that steered them toward that Canon. And, unfortunately, I gave that advise without the help of a Steve's review.

Just wondering if anyone has had similar issues or heard same reports? :?

Thanks, DAD
daviddad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2009, 2:41 PM   #14

daviddad wrote:
Quote:
I I also had the same question as the original post that started this thread. When would Steve's be doing a review of the SX10, and also why haven't they yet?
According to this page: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2008_...onclusion.html 'We have not yet received an evaluation unit from the manufacturer, therefore we cannot post a final conclusion.'

Rich
Old Jan 28, 2009, 3:00 PM   #15

Poncho,

Thanks, I read that too before I sent my email inquiry to Steve's editor. It just seems weird that with all of the cameras they do review, that this new & apparently popular Canon model still hasn't been done on their site?? I'll post any response I get from them. Still curious??

Do you have any thoughts from your 3+ months of using your SX10? What camera did you use before, and how does your SX10 compare? Curiouser & curioser...?
Old Jan 28, 2009, 5:28 PM   #16

daviddad wrote:
Quote:
That doesn't seem right, but when they've showed me their originals, I have to agree, most shots are really disappointing in comparison to results from their older cameras.
Can you show us some samples?
Old Jan 28, 2009, 5:52 PM   #17

daviddad wrote:
Quote:
Poncho,

Thanks, I read that too before I sent my email inquiry to Steve's editor. It just seems weird that with all of the cameras they do review, that this new & apparently popular Canon model still hasn't been done on their site?? I'll post any response I get from them. Still curious??

Do you have any thoughts from your 3+ months of using your SX10? What camera did you use before, and how does your SX10 compare? Curiouser & curioser...?
Prior to that I used the S2 for about three years, also some small point and shoot A570 Canons. And before that some digitals at work Film before that going back to the 60's...

I do not believe the SX10 is the most popular model. However I like the SX10.

If you can't get a camera to test, well, then you really can't test it.

Rich
Old Jan 29, 2009, 2:08 AM   #18

Eventhough I've helped friends buy their SX10's, I'm actually still shooting with a S2 myself. I've had 2 Olympus's and a Minolta before I came back to Canon. I took pictures for a living for 12 years, and used Canons in 35mm & Hasselblads in large format. I also go back to the 60's & 70's in my old photog-life.

As I said, I don't personally own an SX10, but two of the cameras I've helped people buy were for very close friends, so I've seen a lot of their results, and have even used taken their cameras out for trial spins.

All three of us had Olympus cameras in S-series, i.e. C-720-740, and then the Canon S3-5's. We were/are all pretty satisfied with the Canon's picture quality, but it was really those 3.2MP Olympus's that blew us away with their amazingly sharp lenses. Based on our current comparisons, they seem to have spoiled us when we now look at the results of these SX10's. I guess we just expected more sharpness and better resolution when we moved UP from 3.2MP & 5MP cameras to one rated at 10MP. Maybe it's true what they keep saying that "megapixels aren't everything"??

We continue to test & compare, but none of us feel like the new Canon's have lived up to the high expectations that imagined we would see when we "stepped up" from older cameras.

To luisr; you asked if I could show you some "samples". I see that you have been active on this forum for over 5 years, and as you can see, I just signed on today. So, I look to your experience & advice as to how I would do that on this forumn, or how to send some sample files to you and anyone with a discerning & critical eye?? I do see in the note in the column about allowable attachment formats, and assume that's the way to send photos. But, being I'm the newbie on the block, I don't want violate any rules or mis-step in the posting process. Any suggestions are very welcome.

Thanks from the new guy

Old Jan 29, 2009, 6:54 AM   #19

As a potential SX10 buyer I asked for samples to see if we can determine if it was something with the camera or if the settings were not adequate. There are two ways to add pictures to this forum. You can either add them as attachments as you are already aware or you can post them to places like Flikr or Photobucket and post the images from there using the "Insert Image" function found in the toolbar of the board message editor.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 11:05 AM   #20

Hello everyone.

We have our PowerShot SX10 IS eval unit in from Canon, so our review will be up sometime in the coming weeks.

-Billy

billy is offline   Reply With Quote