Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 24, 2008, 2:54 PM   #1

Not sure if I missed it.. is there a review of the SX10 on here? (I saw sx110)
Mysterious is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2008, 5:51 PM   #2

is one coming? Anyone? Anyone? Beuhler?

:lol:
Old Nov 27, 2008, 12:44 AM   #3

Mysterious wrote:
Quote:
Not sure if I missed it.. is there a review of the SX10 on here? (I saw sx110)
The SX10 has not been reviewed according to this list:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/cameras_dig2008.html

Rich
Poncho_48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2008, 3:17 AM   #4

Try http://www.photographyblog.com/revie..._sx10_is_3.php

...and be sure to check the Sample Images on page 3 for purple fringing / chromatic aberration. Specially picture: 4 (stairs leading up to bridge and far bridge-towers), 10 (branches in top left corner), 14 (shoes, face and right hand of woman), 20 (white window-frames)

Not my cup of tea...

Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2008, 11:49 PM   #5

Walter_S wrote:
Quote:
Try http://www.photographyblog.com/revie..._sx10_is_3.php*

...and be sure to check the Sample Images on page 3 for purple fringing / chromatic aberration. Specially picture: 4 (stairs leading up to bridge and far bridge-towers), 10 (branches in top left corner), 14 (shoes, face and right hand of woman), 20 (white window-frames)

Not my cup of tea...
Hi Walter,
I see the things you noted... don't most digital cameras have a bit of that in some instances in corners?
Old Dec 6, 2008, 11:18 AM   #6

Mysterious wrote:
Quote:
...don't most digital cameras have a bit of that in some instances in corners?
Some have, some don't. Best example of the latteris the Panasonic FZ28 which has purple fringing well under control.

And, yes, corners are normally prone to this kind of aberration and softness in a lot of cameras- but then only one of the mentioned examples (#10 in the test) occurred in the corner of the pictures. Theother examplesaremore or lessin the centre of the picture.

In picture 4, the bridge-towers are not in the corner. #14 the woman's shoes, face and right hand are not in the corner and #20 the white window-frames aresmack in thecenter.

Have a nice weekend, Mysterious!

)
Old Dec 6, 2008, 3:45 PM   #7

Walter_S wrote:
Quote:
Mysterious wrote:
Quote:
...don't most digital cameras have a bit of that in some instances in corners?
Some have, some don't. Best example of the latteris the Panasonic FZ28 which has purple fringing well under control.

And, yes, corners are normally prone to this kind of aberration and softness in a lot of cameras- but then only one of the mentioned examples (#10 in the test) occurred in the corner of the pictures. Theother examplesaremore or lessin the centre of the picture.

In picture 4, the bridge-towers are not in the corner. #14 the woman's shoes, face and right hand are not in the corner and #20 the white window-frames aresmack in thecenter.

Have a nice weekend, Mysterious!

)
I'm a tad colour blind so the hues don't likely stand out as predominantly to me as they do to you... I wish all the cameras had shots of the same image, it'd be easier from a non-pro/lesser experienced person to pickup the image differences by comparing. thks for your reply
Old Jan 19, 2009, 7:19 PM   #8

Walter_S wrote:
Quote:
Try http://www.photographyblog.com/revie..._sx10_is_3.php

I see the purple fringing but I am looking at the pictures at full resolution. These are 10 MP pictures. Will it be even barely noticeable when printing on sizes ranging from 4x6 through 11x14? I don't think so.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2009, 6:01 AM   #9

Created a post with links to superzooms reviews/comparisons

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=87
gaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2009, 1:36 PM   #10

luisr wrote:
Quote:
I see the purple fringing but I am looking at the pictures at full resolution. These are 10 MP pictures. Will it be even barely noticeable when printing on sizes ranging from 4x6 through 11x14? I don't think so.

Well, I don't see WHY the purple fringingshould be there in the first place! I would not buy a brand new camera in this class (Superzooms) and price-bracket and accept a deficiency like that. Would you close your eyes to such a shortcoming? I wouldn't! Not if there is an alternative.

Anyway, I always look at my shots, at least the ones that came out good, at 100% resolution.

If you are going to use a camera just to print out maximum 11x14 you wouldn't have to buy the ZX10 - any compact could do that...

I do not understand that people can accept this- and still applaud Canon. If any of the other brands would release such a camera, people would start asking questions...

But then, Canon is the #1 sales company for digital cameras and people just buy a "marked-leader brand-name" without thinking.

:sad: