Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 21, 2009, 2:49 PM   #11

HAving owned a G10 for a couple of months I can confirm the problem with the flash options "disappearing" is definitely a result of using a hot shoe cover. The one offered by Lensmateonline for the G10 does not cause a problem - using others can (I had tried one for a Nikon hot shoe). What is interesting is that neither the manual, the dealers I talked to, or most web sites were aware of this problem. I have found Canon is notorious for telling you far less than you want to know (or should be able to expect to find) about their products.
RobertMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2009, 3:31 AM   #12

I am SOOOO glad I googled g10 flash not working and came to this posting. I was sitting with my camera all day trying to see what was up with the flash not working after racking my brain resetting the settings, going through the menus, calling Canon....sheesh. And the entire time the flash was not working because I had a bubble level on the hotshoe!!!! :|

Wow.
atort13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2009, 1:00 PM   #13

Help please! The G10 menu for the flash will not work nor will the flash icon.... Yes I realize some modes do not support flash... but the internal flash is apparently off and none of the modes that do use flash internal is what I'm trying to use internal flash, the flash does not fire. Since I canNOT access the flash menu, it's rather difficult to turn it on/off/auto.... is there some button or setting that has disable the flash or do I have a bad canon? Canon tech support keeps telling me how to set the flash using the menu but if the menu doesn't work (grayed out) and the function doesn't activate the flash menu and the menu doesn't activate the flash menu and the flash icon doesn't activate a menu screen... how do I modify flash settings.... I am currently trying in P mode and the flash menu is gray and deactive in every single mode on my G10. Help Please there must be someone with an answer????

PS: I have nothing on the hotshoe... Canon support is terrible.. Wish Nikon would come up with a camera to compete with this G10....

Last edited by cassp; Aug 22, 2009 at 1:05 PM.
cassp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2009, 4:27 PM   #14
Administrator

Have you checked other settings for possible conflicts? For example, some camera models won't allow flash if using continuous drive mode.

You may want to try resetting it to factory defaults (you'll see a "Reset All" menu choice in your camera's setup menus).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2009, 12:16 PM   #15

Hi.

Sorry to restart an old thread but I've got the same issue as the last poster.

No flash, no flash menu, no flash control settings in main menu.

I've done a "Reset all" and have never touched the hotshoe. Both ISO and scene settings are on auto which according to the manual should give me the flash menu.

I only bought the camera a couple of weeks ago and until last night only used it in well lit areas so cannot now recollect if the flash ever worked.

Any ideas? I've emailed Canon support but it says they'll get back to me in the couple of days. So I thought I'd see if anyone had solved the issue here.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Trish
trish1400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2009, 7:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by trish1400 View Post
Hi.

Sorry to restart an old thread but I've got the same issue as the last poster.

No flash, no flash menu, no flash control settings in main menu.

I've done a "Reset all" and have never touched the hotshoe. Both ISO and scene settings are on auto which according to the manual should give me the flash menu.

I only bought the camera a couple of weeks ago and until last night only used it in well lit areas so cannot now recollect if the flash ever worked.

Any ideas? I've emailed Canon support but it says they'll get back to me in the couple of days. So I thought I'd see if anyone had solved the issue here.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Trish
I have the G9, but it works the same as the G10 for flash. You will not see a flash menu in Auto on your mode dial. Switch to either Tv or Av mode, then press and hold the flash icon on the right side of the control dial on the back of the camera. You should be presented with a "Built-in Flash Settings" menu. That's the short-cut method. You should also be able to see the same menu by just pressing the Menu button while in Tv or Av and selecting Flash Control on the menu presented. You should also see Flash Control presented in a menu while in P or M modes, but you get different menus presented when they are selected. The flash controls are described on page 113 of your user guide.

Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2011, 5:41 AM   #17

Hi there,

I am having a similar problem in that my flash just does not...well...flash!

I have looked at the settings and all looks ok. When I take a photo requiring a flash the green LED light shines but it just will not take the photo.

Any ideas anybody?
rosstafarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2012, 3:05 AM   #18

I had the same flash problem with my Canon G10. I have never used a hotshoe.

But I discovered that the micro switch on the left side in the hotshoe was stuck in the depressed position. After having solved this, the flash works again.
Bacillen is offline   Reply With Quote