Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 29, 2008, 5:11 PM   #1

Hi. Nikon guy with first Canon...and confused! I seem to have turned the flash off, with the Flash Control in the Menu blanked out and not able to be changed. There is no Flash icon on the LCD and pushing the flash symbol by the Function button does nothing.

Am I stupid (probably) ? I've been wondering whether to buy an extended warranty and hope there isn't anything wrong.The cameratakes spectacular pictures and is solid as a rock. But it won't flash. I must say Nikon's menus seem easier and more logical.

Help...please ! I'm compulsive and won't sleep !!

Thanks, Steve
Enimat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2008, 11:50 AM   #2

After about 2 hours of Menu playing, I must have hit something right, as the flash now works !

I'm quite pleased with the camera, although it does seem to perform best in bright sunlight. The images are super sharp, but, in my opinion, a tad flat and I have to add some contrast when editing to compensate. The amount of info that can glog the LCD is amazing and I doubt I'll ever figure out what it all means. But on P and even Auto, it takes such nice shots that I can't see me trying to add the contents of the manual to all the other cameras and doohickeys I seem to have gathered...each with yet another set of menus ! It's an amazingly robust camera and surprisingly heavy for it's size. I wonder how the unprotected LCD will look like after some time. All in all, not bad for $479 Cdn.

Steve
Old Jan 5, 2009, 10:04 PM   #3

Hi,

I just bought a G10 a few days ago and have the same problem as you: the Flash Control menu has blanked out and the button no longer functions. Hours of fiddling later and I'm still flashless...

Do you know how to get the flash working again? Please help! I'm frantic!

Thank you,

Ian
realeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2009, 10:09 PM   #4

Hi,

I just bought a G10 a few days ago and have the same problem as you: the Flash Control menu has blanked out and the button no longer functions. Hours of fiddling later and I'm still flashless...

Thank you,

Ian
Old Jan 5, 2009, 10:10 PM   #5

Hi,

Thank you,

Ian
Old Jan 6, 2009, 8:52 AM   #6

Check your menu settings to be sure flash mode is set to auto and first curtain. The flash can be set to Auto, On, and Off by pressing the flash button and using the menu that pops up, but other setting have to be set in the menu, I believe. I am not sure where else you could turn the flash off. Certain scene settings, like Fireworks, for example, don't allow flash, so be sure you aren't on one of those that overrides the availability of flash. Does your screen display the flash off icon (a lightning bolt with a circle and slash)?

Regarding the color saturation: You can use different settings in My Colors to give the colors more pop. Neutral decreases color saturation - be sure you haven't set it on neutral by accident. If My Color is set to Off and you still want more saturation, you can set it to Vivid or, for a more subtle effect, Positive Film. Positive film refers to the fact that slide films for 35 mm color gave a richer color palette than negative film. Remember the song, "Momma don't take my Kodachrome away!"? Experiment with some of those settings and see if you get something you like better.

Also keep in mind that real direct light tends to wash out colors, and softer light enhance them. This is the reason that actors and other performers use heavy makeup - it looks garish in person but it photographs well and looks normal under stage lighting. In photography, this will mean that flash and direct sun will mute colors.
docmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2009, 11:40 AM   #7

Thanks for your comments..I haven't tried the film clone setting. I think most of my initial problems were due to confusion over a new to me menu technique. It may sound silly, but I found Nikon's menus quite easy to follow and Canon's veryhard to fathom after getting my first camera of that brand. I also have a confession about my flash problem ! I found an old flash shoe protector from a Nikon digital and stuck it on the G10's shoe and forgot about it. After hours of menu fiddling, I noticed the black plastic thingy and removed it. And everything worked again ! I'm not sure why a piece of plastic shut it down as I can't see that the contacts are pressure sensitive, but they obviously are. I still find it a great camera with super image quality and find I prefer it over my horde of heavy DSLR gear. And it does feel like you could drive a tank over it. I've noticed that the price here in Canada is up over pre Xmas. If it had a tilting LCD I'd like it even better.

Regards, Steve
Old Jan 13, 2009, 8:49 AM   #8

You cannot use any old hot shoe cover on the Canon camera's. There are switches in the hot shoe to detect whether an external flash is attached. It the switch is activated, then the built in flash is disabled. If you want a hot shoe cover, then look at those offered by Lensmateonline.com . They make/sell custom items for the G7/G9/G10.

http://www.lensmateonline.com/store/g10.html

Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2009, 12:12 PM   #9

Thanks Dennis. I checked the link . I wonder how their little piece of plastic manages not to turn the flash off ? I guess that's why it's 10 bucks ! I've learned not to "mess around" from this experience !

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Steve
Old Jan 15, 2009, 6:35 PM   #10

Steve,

If you want to discover the reason Richard Franiec's custom G10/G9/G7 hot shoe cover does not disable the built-in flash, then I suggest you buy one and compare it to the old one you've been trying to use. I'm sure there are cut out areas on the underside that work like a key in a lock.

I don't use one on my G9, but I may give in one of these days. I just purchased a 430EX II flash, so I'm more interested in preserving the hot shoe and contacts now.

Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote