Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 5, 2008, 8:04 AM   #1
cpi

Hi,

I am seaching for a compact camera that can capture fast moving subjects (particularly at races) with good quality.

I have seen the review (http://www.steves-digicams.com/2008_...non_sd990.html) of the Canon SD990 IS and I am almost convinced of buying it. However I didn't find in the sample picture gallery photos of moving subjects.

Anyone who own the camera and can share experience with those kind of photos ?

Thanks,
Claudio.
cpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2008, 10:28 AM   #2

Claudio,

What types of races? Where would you be located in relation to the racing event?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2008, 12:31 PM   #3
cpi

Marathons and Triathlons.

Usually my wife is the one who takes me pictures in the bike and running. I want those to be of good quality. She is usually located not to far away, let's say at most 15 feet from where I pass.

Do you have some sample you can post with this camera ?

Thanks,
Claudio.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 1:24 PM   #4

Claudio,

I do not have the camera - I shoot with a DSLR for my sports work. I just wanted to get an idea of the type of racing to see if there's even a remote possibility of good shots given the limitations of the camera. If you were wanting to shoot dog racing for instance I would say "no" - same with formula 1 or something like that where the speeds and distances involved would be too great for the camera to handle.

The good news is - the running at least should be possible to get good shots with the camera according to it's specifications.The cycling I don't know - depends on the style of shot.Withonly1.3 fps you won't have a lot of shot opportunities. Additionally without a shutter priority mode you would have to use manual mode to ensure a slow enough shutter speed for a proper panning shot (you want slow shutter speeds to show motion of the wheels/feet). It does have servo focusing meaning the camera can track a moving subject so that's a plus. What I can't tell from looking at the specs is under what modes you can engage the servo focusing.

It also depends on what your definition of a good shot is. Again, sorry I don't use the camera - just asking some clarifying questions (I shoot a lot of sports) - hopefully someone on the forum uses the camera and can add on. As I said, the good news is it's a possibility the camera will work.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 1:46 PM   #5
cpi

John,

Thanks for your answers.
I previously own the Canon Powershot S30:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2001_...canon_s30.html

which had the following pre-programmed mode in the dial : "Sports - When you need to capture fast moving subjects". That worked fine for my purpose.

I am not professional in this area, so I don't (neither my wife) want to set manual modes to take a picture.

Does the SD990 have something similar ? If not which compact -easy to use- camera can you recommend me for this puropose ?

Thanks,
Claudio.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 6:56 PM   #6

CPI,

The "IS" feature does nothing for capturing moving objects. Its purpose is to try and fix a picture when you inadvertently move the camera while taking the picture.

To get a picture of fast moving objects you need to be able to take a picture with a camera that allows higher shutter speeds at an "f" stop and ISO rating that would provide a properly exposed picture. Also, the camera needs to have a quick reaction speed (focus, expose and release the shutter). Typically, point and shoot cameras do not have a quick reaction speed. DSLR type cameras typically do this in .1 or .2 seconds or less (in other words, as fast as you can push the shutter release). Point and shoot cameras are in the range of .4 or .5 or more seconds: too slow, the event to capture has already past.

A Canon Rebel series DSLR camera costs close to that for a high end point and shoot camera, but offers a heck of a lot more features, capability, etc. A disadvantage of a DSLR is that it is larger in size. But, this larger size allows exchanging lenses for different situations, larger battery for more shots and flashes and to operate a bigger and better internal computer, a larger ISO range that is also more noise free than the point and shoot cameras, to name a few things.

Take a closer look at (hold one in your hands) and review what the DSLR can do for you in ability totake better pictures.

Gritty
Gritty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2008, 6:57 AM   #7
cpi

As I said before I am not a professional photographer so the size of a DSLR is not worth it. I already own a Sony DSC-V3 (something hybrid between DSLR and Point and Shoot ), and I must admit that in average we took better pictures with the old PowerShot S30.

So if the old compact Canon Powershot S30 (a camera from 2001), could take moving objects correctly (I once shot a roller coaster at high speed and people faces were very sharp in the photo), it seems very strange to me that new compact cameras won't make it.

Any recommendation in the compact area ?

Thanks,
Claudio.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 7:33 AM   #8

Claudio,

Here's my suggestion - put a post in the "what camera should I buy" section. Just make sure you specify you're not looking for a DSLR - not looking for a hybrid or superzoom because those are the first suggestions you're going to get.