Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 21, 2008, 10:27 PM   #1

1. Can one set a shutter-speed that is honored when shooting video?

2. If not -- is there a Program mode that keeps the speed to about 1/60th under sunlight when shooting video?

3. Can one set an ISO that is honored when shooting video?

4. If not -- can one limit the maximum ISO when shooting video?

5. Does optical stabIlization function when shooting video?

6. Does optical zoom function when shooting video?

7. Can one optical zoom while AE and/or AF remains locked when shooting video? (The Casio unlocks AE/AF as soon as one zooms.)

8. Is there any way to slightly bias pix lighter/darker when shooting video?

9. Is there an auto-magnifier for manual focus when shooting video?

THANK YOU
LV_DVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 22, 2008, 4:33 AM   #2

1. Can one set a shutter-speed that is honored when shooting video?

No, you have exposure lock, on the function wheel, you flick that and can then manually move it up and down via the wheel.

2. If not -- is there a Program mode that keeps the speed to about 1/60th under sunlight when shooting video?
see above
3. Can one set an ISO that is honored when shooting video?

no, it's auto but it does try and limit it, although by what its not clear.

4. If not -- can one limit the maximum ISO when shooting video?

5. Does optical stabIlization function when shooting video?

yes, fully

6. Does optical zoom function when shooting video?

yes, fully

7. Can one optical zoom while AE and/or AF remains locked when shooting video? (The Casio unlocks AE/AF as soon as one zooms.)

yes, fully

8. Is there any way to slightly bias pix lighter/darker when shooting video?

not that I could tell

9. Is there an auto-magnifier for manual focus when shooting video?

no butyou can initially if I recall in a mode other than video mode on dial, then hit the record button and then even vary the focus manually whilst in video.

Listen, I bought the SX1 hoping it would be better than the casio f1, I couldnt of been more wrong if I tried. The sx1 in-door was possibly the worse video camera I have ever had the pleasure of trying to use. In fact I would say that it was hopeless in door, not poor, impossible to use. You cant pant with it either because the lense is so slow and the wobble so acute from cmos and the is is possibly so good the whole thing is working in opposites. Then the files are so processor heavy it makes the casio f1 look like its from another planet. As you note the Casio f1 is hard work, but the sx1 well outdoor may be ok'ish, but indoor forget, unless you plan on illuminating the room to 300lux plus. Or and bythe way the stills from the sx1 above iso 200 indoor were positively horrible.

At this moment in-time, if your looking for a fully evolved hybrid, they dont exist! good low-light video cams seem to be in the minority, canon fh100/11/11/hv20 at 24p seem to be the best. In fact sanyo is the only cam that allows you to set iso freely as far as I know. I've not tried the hd1010, I have a hd2 but wouldnt swap it for a hd1000, even though the 1000 doesnt suffer like the hd2 from ccd smear.

Hope this all helps. Am finding the casio fh20 a good compromise for video. In the fixed optical length it holds focus once and then adjust focus under your control ie you can re-focus. But low-light although useable and very sharp does suffer from blue chroma in low-light, this can be cured with neat video but is a pain, plus the cmos wobble is there at long zoom plus casios image stab is digital so not true stabilisation like the sx1, but if I had to choose betwen the casio fh20 or a canon sx1 it would be the fh20 every time.

THANK YOU

Adventsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2008, 5:21 AM   #3

Thank you for the great feedback. I've got the F1 on trial and assumed the Canon must be better based on the posted stills.

The biggest issue with the F1 is the poor EIS image stabilization. I assumed Canon's OIS would be better. And, the outdoor movies look great.

I suspect the Sony EXMOR chip in the Casio that makes the difference. I haven't seen rolling shutter, yet.

I'm just surprised that no one seems to be buying the Casio. Of course, I also don't understand Canon not selling the SX1 IS in the USA.

I'm in the process of up-loading a sampler to ExposureRoom.com. In about 4 hours you can find it at:

http://exposureroom.com/members/DVC.aspx/videos/

PS: I didn't quite understand this:

"1. Can one set a shutter-speed that is honored when shooting video?

No, you have exposure lock, on the function wheel, you flick that and can then manually move it up and down via the wheel."

I assume the Exposure Lock is a button. So what is it you can "manually move up and down via the wheel." The shutter-speed? The exposure?

Thank you!
Steve
LV_DVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2009, 2:36 PM   #4

Hi
I'm thinking of buying the Canon SX1 Si as a second video camera.
When you shoot with it indoors are you using lights? And is your complaint about shooting indoors that without lights the resulting image is too grainy?
I'm trying to understand what you don't like.
thanks
video1200
video1200 is offline   Reply With Quote