Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 14, 2009, 12:01 PM   #11

Hi Lesmore. It's -27C here by Lake Huron...nothing for you but a tad too chilly for me ! I do have a nice little Lowepro case for my G10 that can be attached to a belt. It's a bit stiff though and it's hard to get the G10 in. I tried the neckstrap but gave up and now have a wrist strap on one side. The camera fits easily into a jacket pocket and seems unaffected by low temps. I've had it exposed for about an hour in cold weather and it still works fine. The first shots I took with it on "auto" were on a bright , sunny day with lots of snow. Some of the sharpest and most accurately coloured pictures I've ever taken !

I'm retired, too and wanted a smaller high res camera as an everyday carry about, just as you mention. The shorter zoom hasn't been a concern at all as I seldom use it but the wider angle end is good for landscapes. I hope I didn't make it sound like it's no good unless in bright light...it works well all the time, just at it's best as you mentioned, at low ISO.

Steve
Enimat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2009, 2:02 PM   #12

Enimat wrote:
Quote:
Hi Lesmore. It's -27C here by Lake Huron...nothing for you but a tad too chilly for me ! I do have a nice little Lowepro case for my G10 that can be attached to a belt. It's a bit stiff though and it's hard to get the G10 in. I tried the neckstrap but gave up and now have a wrist strap on one side. The camera fits easily into a jacket pocket and seems unaffected by low temps. I've had it exposed for about an hour in cold weather and it still works fine. The first shots I took with it on "auto" were on a bright , sunny day with lots of snow. Some of the sharpest and most accurately coloured pictures I've ever taken !

I'm retired, too and wanted a smaller high res camera as an everyday carry about, just as you mention. The shorter zoom hasn't been a concern at all as I seldom use it but the wider angle end is good for landscapes. I hope I didn't make it sound like it's no good unless in bright light...it works well all the time, just at it's best as you mentioned, at low ISO.

Steve
Thanks Steve.....it's -27 now (2:00 PM) in Winterpeg, but then this is the hot time of the day. It's supposed to go down to -34 tonight.
Sounds like your needs are very similar to mine and from the reports I've read, along with your experiences, it sounds like a good camera to consider. For the most part I want to use a smaller camera to carry around, during the daytime. My K10D goes up to 1600 ASA, but although photography has been a hobby since 1968, I never liked to push film much over 400 as the grain or noise (as they call it now) would start to show in the pix.

I have always shot at low film or digital speeds. Years ago I used Kodachrome 25 ASA, then Kodak 100, then Fuji 200....so keeping it around 80 to 160 is what I do anyways.

Well.....I'm going to have to talk to my wife about the G10....wonder what the best approach would be....:-)
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2009, 5:32 PM   #13

Hi,

I've had my Canon G5 for 5 and 1/2 years, it still takes decent pictures but it is coming to its end. It takes forever to focus and few more problems... I could only take 12-15 pix while my friend took over 60 with her new camera in the museum. Mine has 4x optical and 4.1x digital (16 times in combination). So with 5x optical and 4x digital does G10 come up to 20x?

I took my G5 to Bestbuy and compared zooming; mine could zoom farther then G10 on the display. It shouldn't be, right? Do you think the settings were wrong on the display G10?
lily.2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2009, 1:54 AM   #14

I just took the G10 on a trip to Asia and left my old Nikon film gear at home. I don't own a DSLR, but the image quality in good light compares well with ISO 400 print film shot in my Nikon FM or Nikkormat FT3 through Nikkor glass, which is EXTREMELY impressive for a compact point-and-shoot digital.

The G10 is small and light enough to take everywhere (compared to a metal SLR anyway) and with its metal body and roung dials, I feel right at home despite modernizing 30 years.

1968, Tom Lehrer
asiafish is offline   Reply With Quote