Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 30, 2008, 1:24 PM   #1

See Steve's hands on review here:

Canon PowerShot G10

billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2009, 6:57 PM   #2

I have owned Canon Gs for years, my first a G3 then a G5 followed by a G7. Now IMHO I have the best G so far in my new G10. I hope to hear (read) from other G10 owners.
Photobug4741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2009, 8:51 PM   #3

Bought the G10 right before Thanksgiving and wow, what a difference compared to some of the other cameras I've owned. The wide angle is awesome and I find the 5X zoom fine for my needs.
coppertrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2009, 9:20 AM   #4

My new G10 focus's quicker in full Zoom this is something none of my other Gs would ever do. and the picture quality at full Zoom is great also.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 2:25 PM   #5

How do the owners of the new G10 find the pictures from this camera compare to a DSLR ?

I've looked at the G10 at photo stores a number of times and am very impressed with it's smaller size (compare to a DSLR) controls and build quality.

It's very appealing, but I still wonder about the pix quality compared to a DSLR.

That's the only question, as I would like to have one.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2009, 1:09 PM   #6

lesmore49 wrote:
Quote:
How do the owners of the new G10 find the pictures from this camera compare to a DSLR ?

I've looked at the G10 at photo stores a number of times and am very impressed with it's smaller size (compare to a DSLR) controls and build quality.

It's very appealing, but I still wonder about the pix quality compared to a DSLR.

That's the only question, as I would like to have one.
Well I will be able to answer that question from my point of view soon. I today ordered a Canon EOS 50D with 18-200mm lens system. First DSLR camera have always used P&S digital cameras since I stopped using my old Canon A1 film camera.

I just felt the need to have a DSLR for other needs it's not a replacment for my G10 as I really like it's size and picture quality. I should have the new Canon DSLR sometime this coming week and will start giving it a go.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 3:03 PM   #7

I'm waiting with anticipation. Please post your opinion after you have given your new Canon DSLR a trial. I have a Pentax K10D DSLR-which I really like and am very impressed with it's quality of pix.

But it is big and heavy and I would like a small, camera capable of taking top notch photos similar to the K10D. I want something small, but excellent to carry around on a regular basis when I don't want to haul around the big K10D.

I've been looking at the Canon G10 a lot lately, may get one, but the jury is still out on pix quality.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 6:33 PM   #8

Hi ! I've got several digital cameras, including a Nikon D80 and several lenses. I bought a G10 in November. It's picture quality on bright days is quite astounding, with very good colour and contrast. After using it for a while, through a very dreary Canadian December, I'd have to say it's no better on dull days than any other of my fleet. I find the full zoom shots very "flat" and sometimes fuzzy when I've expected a sharper shot through my quivering panning. Indoor flash shots are good, although I've read complaints. I don't much care for anything other than outdoor stuff, so flash and indoor quality don't matter too much. It is the most robust body I've held since my Nikons in the 70's. A tad on the too heavy side and it's too big for a shirt pocket . But generally, if it continues to perform in average daylight the way it has so far, I'm very happy. I'm no fan of Canon's menus and prefer Nikon's. The array of shot symbols that can cover the screen is overwhelming, so I prefer to omit them and stay with a grid that helps framing straight horizons. The "on" button is hard to trip, but won't go off by accident, although the other control knobs on the top do move and should be checked before shooting. I really like the "W" frame size as it completely fills my 22" widescreen monitor without editing. The caveat is that I seem to cut heads off when framing. The LCD is brilliant, but still hard to see in bright light. But there is the somewhat hoakey viewfinder. All in all a great camera, lacking a tilting LCD. I like it ! But no better at everything than a DSLR. I think that if you are considering a camera for "everyday" use, this is a cheaper and more easy to carry option. I hate carrying a bag of lenses and swore I'd never buy a DSLR. If I had to keep one camera, the G10 would be it.

Hope my observations help !

Steve

Enimat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2009, 6:46 PM   #9

A very nice report Enimat. I have not really had a chance to do much in depth picture taking with my G10, but the little I have has met my needs in another small P&S camera.
It took me a long time to decide on buying a DSLR camera but I have found where I need a faster longer reaching camera. So I am going to give the Canon EOS 50D a try. it's not going to be a carry around camera, it is for special needs only.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 11:51 AM   #10

Thanks for detailed report on the G10. From what I've read it is at it's best...outdoors using 80 to under 200 ASA...as noise gets to be a problem after that.

I also live in Canada, but on the Prairies...which winter and summer seems mostly to consist of bright, sunny days.....I'm not rubbing it in, we also get very cold, now it's -32.:-)

I do want a good quality smaller camera to carry around during the day (I'm retired) as my Pentax K10D which is a wonderful camera is too much to carry, store when I'm out and about.

I use the K10D when I'm out specifically to take pictures....the Canon G10 sounds like it would be good to carry around on the neck strap a regular basis on an everyday basis.

Again now that I'm retired I tend to wear more casual clothes...outdoor or denim shirts which tend to have larger pockets...so maybe.

I don't know if the Canon G10 comes with a case that can be affixed to one's belt, but they are easy enough to purchase.