Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 1, 2009, 11:19 PM   #1

I have a three-year old Powershot A610 and THE feature I like the most is the vari-angle LCD. About six months ago it started giving problems at certain angles with the screen becoming gray. In the last few days it seems to have failed completely because it remains gray at any angle. The camera is still usable because the image can be seen but it is not possible to tell if pictures look properly unless you look at them in the computer.

I am looking at my next camera which, of course, must have vari-angle LCD. However, I am afraid that after a few years of use it will fail too leaving me with an otherwise perfectly good but unusable camera.

What are your experiences with the vari-angle LCD in the various Canon models that have it?
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2009, 12:12 AM   #2

My S2 bought in 2006 still works great, no problem with LCD.

James

jcotton55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2009, 2:26 PM   #3

I have had the A620 for three years, and no problems at all. If you decide to get another vari-angle LCD, which models are you looking at, the SX10 IS or S5 IS, because there aren't any other current choices available today with Canon? I've also had the G9 for about 10 months with no vari-angle LCD, and I've learned to adapt.

You could consider moving up to the Panasonic G1, but that costs an arm and a leg.

Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2009, 5:43 PM   #4

denncald wrote:
Quote:
I have had the A620 for three years, and no problems at all. If you decide to get another vari-angle LCD, which models are you looking at, the SX10 IS or S5 IS, because there aren't any other current choices available today with Canon? I've also had the G9 for about 10 months with no vari-angle LCD, and I've learned to adapt.

You could consider moving up to the Panasonic G1, but that costs an arm and a leg.

Dennis
I am indeed looking at the SX10 IS. It's a shame that Canon is not producing many models with this feature. This is very useful and a standard feature of video cameras. If the SX110 had vari-angle LCD I would have gotten this one instead. I like the SX10 but I also like the size of the SX110 which is similar to my current A610.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2009, 7:50 PM   #5

I've had a Nikon Coolpix 8800 for 5 years with no problems with the LCD. I've taken some of my favourite "ground level, looking up" flower shots with the LCD tilted up. I recently bought a G10, without the tilt. I can see the bigger, brighter and sharper LCD at ground level. Not as well as the Nikon's, but enough to frame a shot. The Nikon's screen is tiny, so maybe things equal out ? I would prefer a tilt, even if it cost more, but they don't give you that choice. I guess, for me, image quality counts most and in my humble opinion, the G10 delivers, most of the time !

Steve
Enimat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2009, 8:24 PM   #6

Enimat wrote:
Quote:
I've had a Nikon Coolpix 8800 for 5 years with no problems with the LCD. I've taken some of my favourite "ground level, looking up" flower shots with the LCD tilted up. I recently bought a G10, without the tilt. I can see the bigger, brighter and sharper LCD at ground level. Not as well as the Nikon's, but enough to frame a shot. The Nikon's screen is tiny, so maybe things equal out ? I would prefer a tilt, even if it cost more, but they don't give you that choice. I guess, for me, image quality counts most and in my humble opinion, the G10 delivers, most of the time !

Steve
You might be interested in the Flipbac for your G10.

http://www.flipbac.com/

Dennis

denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2009, 2:11 PM   #7

I bought my S2 ISin January 2006. I've taken thousands of pictures with it and I've never had a problem with screen. The moving LCD certainly is useful, much more so than I thought it would be when I first bought it. In fact, now that I've moved up to a DSLR without that feature, I really miss it.

If I was on the market for a new prosumer/super-zoom model right now, I'd go for the SX10. I know it might be a little more chunky than you're used to, butthe S-series cameras are great.
Boldstar is offline   Reply With Quote