Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 2, 2009, 10:53 AM   #1

So for christmas I bought my fiance' a nice little sd1100... but that's after the fact. She had my S3 and our son got soda on it. The controlls across the top of the camera including the flash hinges, and some of the controlls on the back along the top are all gummed up. I tried cleaning with alcohol topically but even though it freed up the controls for that moment, the were just worse once all of the alocohol evaporated. So, for a camera that I've had for 2 years and owes me nothing(approaching 7k pictures) is it a camera that is particularly friendly to dissassembly type maintenance any more or less than other cameras? I took apart and reassembled a similar camera (an older konica-minolta 10x 5mp) but I don't want to turn something that is difficult to use into something that is impossible to use either. I found a picture of a guy that had completely dissassembled his but he just had a picture of all of the parts and no howto or anything.
zachofalltrades is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2009, 10:58 AM   #2

I would be careful with using alcohol. Its a solvent. Its probably safe and effective on some components, but also could damage other components. Especially if the alcohol seeps inside who knows where its going. I stripped the anti-glare coating off an old point and shoot by using alcohol. Not the end of the world, but I shy away from using it when I can avoid it now.

If you're not covered by any plan the bill for repair would likely go a long way towards a replacement. So I'd look to disassemble the camera as you plan and clean only the parts that absolutely need it. I'd recommend touse only water which should work on 'soda'.
jpm100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2009, 7:54 AM   #3

Thanks, will do. Went to Disney on Ice with my son, fiance, and some friends and I was really missing my camera. No 12x zoom and no manual exposures, soher SD1100was compensating for the dark room and everybody in the spot light was a big white blur I may start taking it apart today if I have time.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 1:02 PM   #4

I spilled somepop (I guess you guys south of theborder call it "soda")in my old car, all over the radio and gear shift. Actually, someone threw a McDonald's cup into my open window when I leftthe carparked on the street overnight... Even professional detailers couldn't get it clean. The gear shift was barely usable, but the radio buttons and knobs were shot. My point being: Spilled pop is a sticky mess.

I suppose you could priceout having a pro take the camera apart and clean it, but I wonder if it'd work and I wonder how much something like that would cost. Or you could take it apart yourself...you might have nothing to lose.

If you've had the camera for a few years and you've got 7000 pictures out of it, maybe it's served its purpose. Maybe you could chalk it up as a lesson learned and have some fun buying yourself a new and better camera. After all, it's the photos and memories that your camera produces that matter, not the gadget itself...
Boldstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2009, 5:50 AM   #5

Getting another post made me realize I never posted a follow up. I carefully dissassembled the outer shell of the camera until I had parts that I was comfortable believing were "water resistant." Then I ran them under tap water for a few minutes before finally blowing them out with my air compressor to dry them. The flash appeared to risk to remove in this fashion so it is still "sticky" but all of the buttons work like the day I got the camera. The only "oops" issues that I had was when blowing out the plastic piece that houses the zoom button as well as the 3-way power switch, there was apparently a small piece of metal that I didn't realize was attached which is a little less than a centimeter in length, narrow, and has some unusual bends to it. When I hit it with the air compressor it went flying, and by some grace of God I found it among the debris of my garage floor, and with some more luck figured out where it went. When finally assembling the camera I was taking care to remember that the silver screws all went on areas of the camera that were covered once completed, and the black ones were all on the outside. When I got to the end I was missing a black screw and had an extra silver one so either I messed up and used a black one on the inside or I didn't screw something together AND lost a black one. Either way, the camera works and I have one silver screw hiding underneith my flash. I'm happy with that!
Old Jan 22, 2009, 5:07 PM   #6

Wow, that's great. Definitely a task I'd be afraid to undertake myself. Call it your S3 v.2.
Boldstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2009, 6:36 PM   #7

My little "trick" to complicated disassembley/reassembly tasks is to take one part off at a time, minding where the screws were, and once the piece is removed putting all of the screws back into whatever they threaded into, so you don't get mixed up since the whole thing had at least 10 different sizes of screws. Patience is also a must. Gotta do it start to finish if you're going to, else you might forget how it goes back together! Took me around 2 hrs start to finish.