Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 3, 2009, 10:25 AM   #1

I got a new SX10 last week and noticed a problem right from the start. When looking at the picture playback on the LCD screen the colors are way way saturated. It looks like the camera is set to vivid color mode when it isn't. Whites are washed out, bright colors are even brighter, my ginger colored dog looks bright carmel, skin tones are blotchyetc. However once the pictures are loaded onto the computer they look fine. I have a S2 IS which I have used for the past three years and the LCD screen gives you a perfect example of what the picture looks like, not so on this SX10. Has anyone else had this problem? I am going to be returning this camera for this problem and if I decide to just exchange it (as the pictures from the computer look great!)I want to make sure it doesn't happen again. The way the LCD screen is on this camera there is no way to tell if the picture is a good one or not.

Thanks for any help/info you can give me!!
dzyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2009, 12:21 PM   #2
Super Moderator

I don't have the SX10 but rather the SX1 and mine is pretty accurate. I had a quick look to see if there is an option for screen adjustment and there seems to be only 2 settings, neither will make this sort of difference. Sorry I can't shed any more light on this.

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2009, 3:15 PM   #3

My SX 10 has not had the problem you describe.
docmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2009, 3:07 PM   #4

dzyg wrote:
Quote:
I got a new SX10 last week and noticed a problem right from the start. When looking at the picture playback on the LCD screen the colors are way way saturated. It looks like the camera is set to vivid color mode when it isn't. Whites are washed out, bright colors are even brighter, my ginger colored dog looks bright carmel, skin tones are blotchyetc. However once the pictures are loaded onto the computer they look fine. I have a S2 IS which I have used for the past three years and the LCD screen gives you a perfect example of what the picture looks like, not so on this SX10. Has anyone else had this problem? I am going to be returning this camera for this problem and if I decide to just exchange it (as the pictures from the computer look great!)I want to make sure it doesn't happen again. The way the LCD screen is on this camera there is no way to tell if the picture is a good one or not.

Thanks for any help/info you can give me!!
Maybe. Let me clarify and you will see what I mean. It really depends on where you have been as far as LCD displays quality. My Panasonic's display 2.5 is a 207K resolution and this makes the SX10 look grainy with a listed 230K. Yes, I would agree that it is not easy to pick the winner, with that SX display, but it is a preview screen.

To be completely fair, there has been many a time with the Panasonic that a previewed winner, turned out to be nothing but mediocre. As far as blown whites, have you tried overlaying the histogram? That would be far more accurate than any LCD rendition.

Bottom Line. I do not think a new camera will be different. It might just be where you have been.
originalstarlite is offline   Reply With Quote