Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 12, 2009, 12:05 AM   #1

Hello, I just bought my first sub-compact. went for the SD1100 IS over the Sony DSC W150. BTW, I almost fell for the Sony but stopped short cause of its dull and washed out pix. Ami I the only one thinking so? Anyway, this is strange. The SD1100 is advertised on the Net and in stores as having a metal body (one reason I bought it) but actually it's plastic. Am I right or wrong? Did some Googling and half of the results claim it has metal body and the other hafl swears it's plastic. To feel and touch, I'd go for plastic. Anyone here who owns an SD1100 and faces this issue. No big deal but why all the versions on the subject. Question: does de the SD1100 has metal or plastic body?
Thanks for the light. Karmin.
Karmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2009, 12:39 PM   #2

According to Canon, the SD1100's shell is made from mostly "pure aluminum". There are obviously plastic accents, like the memory card/battery door, I/O port cover, etc.

One way to "test" if the body is made form plastic or metal is to touch it to your face, like your cheek for instance. If it feels cold when touched to your face for longer than two, it's more than likely metal. A plastic body will only feel cool when you first bring it up to your face.

This is of course if the camera has been sitting at room temperature (around 70 degrees F).

It's been a while since I worked with the SD1100 IS, but I'm pretty positive it's body is made of a mostly metal shell.

Hope this helps.

billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2009, 8:44 PM   #3

Hi Billy, thanks for the information. I did just what you said and...the body is cool to my cheek for a few seconds. So let's say it's metal. To the touch, the little beast feels very plastic. But even at room temperature, the body is quite cool. Does it mean there's a metal body under a plastic shell. In any case, let me know. I'm very curious about this issue. Anyhow, the images taken with the baby are very nice. I was not expecting so much IQ actually. See for yourself.
Many thanks, Karmin (very little tweaking in LightZone)
Attached Images

Karmin is offline   Reply With Quote