Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 20, 2009, 7:14 AM   #11

Thanks very much.

I wouldnt say a take pictures as a hobby, but i do like to take a lot of pictures of trips, occasions etc, and was becoming really annoyed with compact cameras just not taking a good enough picture so it was between this and a g10, so chose this as it means no need for a video camera aswell, as i never take that long a video anyway.

Iv have ordered those memory cards and will let you know how i get on, will be cheap to post back and they won't be able to reject the return as there recommendations system gives them cards for that camera.

Iv had a hell of a time getting the camera from jessops, but iv been promised saturday delivery so should get it tomorrow, i put a big emphasise on should as its been the 4th iv been promised delivery.

I ordered the charger you recommended and also went with the batteries that site recommends.

Still looking for a bag, might go with the one you suggested, but i want as small a bag as possible, as i will be putting the camera in a man bag most of the time, so don't need extra storage space.

I have actually been viewing the forums for a long time, and had some problems getting an account set up, as i think it doesn't work with an aol email, like so many other sites. However finally got it set up.

Will let you know how i get on.
atsoc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2009, 8:49 AM   #12

Received the camera today, but not done much with it as i am waiting for my memory card to come through but heres my initial thoughts.

My first thought was that i couldn't believe how small it was. Granted its by no means a compact, but when placed up against a cd it covers about 3/4 of the cd. Smaller than i expected anyway.

Very easy to use, and i will no doubt improve with time with changing the settings etc.

The lens cap could have done with a string attachment i will definitely lose it at some point.

I ended up ordering the canon case for the camera a dc-800 i think the code was.

Will report back more when i get to use it next week
Old Feb 21, 2009, 12:51 PM   #13
Super Moderator

atsoc22 wrote:
Quote:
Received the camera today, but not done much with it as i am waiting for my memory card to come through but heres my initial thoughts.

The lens cap could have done with a string attachment i will definitely lose it at some point.

Will report back more when i get to use it next week
Glad you got it and I'm sure you can't wait for the memory to arrive now.

As for the lens cap it's like any 'normal camera' so just pop it in a pocket. There is a hook on the back to put it on the strap but doing it this way I lost the cap, I've never lost one that has been in my pocket.

Looking forward to hearing how you get on.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2009, 4:16 PM   #14

I got the dcc-800 case through today, it is very tight, and doesnt fit the camera if you have the lens cap thing on, but its ideal for what i wanted as its so small. Fits spare set of batteries and the lens cap in the frount pouch, leaving the side netted pouches. It has an adapter for attaching to your belt, or roudn your neck.

The battery charger i got was the same as yours, i actually damaged the batteries slightly removing them from the charger, probably cos the mettle is so firm from new, or im just to rough, but it is a very good charger.

Just waiting for my memory card to come through.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 4:59 PM   #15
Super Moderator

Any idea when the memory will arrive?

When removing the batteries make sure you always remove the positive end first so lift and an angle. When putting them in it is negative end in first, that should protect you from damaging them.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2009, 6:04 PM   #16

its been dispatched so hopefully tomorrow, or the day after, im not convinced though as i seen a post elsewhere, where a person was claiming he had tested it on his laptop and it was only giving an average write-speed of 6.6. However in the meantime i had contacted the memory card producers directly who said it works at a minimum of 10, but most of the time is much closer to 20. So we will see. How will i actually tell if it is up to scratch?
Old Feb 25, 2009, 9:40 AM   #17

atsoc22 wrote:
Quote:
I got the dcc-800 case through today, it is very tight, and doesnt fit the camera if you have the lens cap thing on, but its ideal for what i wanted as its so small. Fits spare set of batteries and the lens cap in the frount pouch, leaving the side netted pouches. It has an adapter for attaching to your belt, or roudn your neck.

The battery charger i got was the same as yours, i actually damaged the batteries slightly removing them from the charger, probably cos the mettle is so firm from new, or im just to rough, but it is a very good charger.

Just waiting for my memory card to come through.
Hi,

I have the same case. You can reverse the lenshood, that way it does not take up any space.
Morten - Denmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2009, 9:56 AM   #18

thanks for that
Old Feb 26, 2009, 5:45 PM   #19

Well i got the memory, taken quite a few pictures, not messed about with the settings too much, but it off memory it is on superfine 16:9 WL, and for video it was on 1920, as standard with 16:9.

Taking pictures i have had a mixed batch so far, some have been amazing some, poor but i suppose thats the way it goes. Taking pictures in low light has not really worked to well without the flash, again however i stress i am no photographer, any recommendations on how to do this better would be great. However in general with the flash it is good as it tends to fill up the whole picture, rather than a focused flash.

Took video as well, same as above really, struggled in lower light, but in light they are great, also took pictures while recording, and worked fine. I transferred the videos to my computer and played them and they were smooth with no jumping pictures so i think that would mean it has managed to record everything.

Is there anything else i should look for with regards to the memory card being able to cope.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 6:12 PM   #20

Am thinking of buying the SX1.

Need to know what settings can be adjusted in video mode.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

James
jcotton55 is offline   Reply With Quote